News The Coble Family-does anyone know about their story

mlohry

I am not a regular watcher of Oprah, but last night it was replaying and the Coble family was on and it was truely one of the most moving stories that I had ever seen. Their 3 kids were all killed in their minivan when a semitruck hit them from behind 3 and a half years ago. The mom and the grandma were Ok that were riding in the front seat.
Not that it really matters but does anyone know what the circumstances of their carseats were? I could only think of my 3 kids riding in the back of my van while watching this story and wondered if they would survive.
My middle son that is 6 rides in a GN harnessed in the 3rd row of our Odyssey van, would he even have a chance back there. How about my almost 8 year old in a HB TB in the middle row or my DD who is 19 mos ERF in a RA 50. Would she have lived because she would have been further from impact? Made me want to go out and buy basically a tank to put around all of them. What would you want your kids in if that happened, or would it not have mattered?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This is an example of a crash that was probably not survivable by any back seat passengers. The mother and grandmother were also critically injured, though obviously they survived. I believe the grandmother was more badly hurt than the mother.

There is no indication that the children were improperly restrained.

My husband is a fireman and was at the scene of that accident (we live a few miles from the crash site). There were definitely three car seats. I think he said there were (what appeared to be) two Britax convertibles and a booster of some sort. (Don't quote me on that because it's been a while, and I might not be remembering correctly.) I believe all the children (including the youngest one) were forward-facing, but, like I said, I don't know that rear-facing would have made a difference. The back of the car was essentially pushed into the front seat.

It's nice to think that if we do everything right our kids will survive anything unscathed, but the sad reality is that there is only so much we can do. All we can do is our best, and hope that we never have to find out if it was good enough.

Aurezalia

I've actually talked to Lori herself when we happened upon the same internet board. I believe they are ERF'ing the triplets - I assume anyone would be much more careful in the car after what happened to Kyle, Katie, and Emma. :(
I believe it was estimated they were hit at 80mph. One of those crashes where it just didn't matter how anyone in the backseat was restrained. :(

mlohry

Thanks for the links. I can't believe what they must have endured. It is so nice to think we can keep our kids protected with all the things we do but the sad reality is that we can't always.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've actually talked to Lori herself when we happened upon the same internet board. I believe they are ERF'ing the triplets - I assume anyone would be much more careful in the car after what happened to Kyle, Katie, and Emma. :(

A tech I work with helped them install the triplets' seats before they left the hospital. This particular tech is a HUGE ERF advocate, so I'm sure they got information on it from her, if not elsewhere, too.

SavsMom

The pictures of the van just make your heart sink :(

I am not a tech or an expert of any type but I also don't think rear facing would have made any difference in that accident :(

Mom-of-Two

I agree, there is no car seat that is meant to protect a child from that sort of impact in a crash- and regardless of RF of FF, or whether in a booster or harness, those seats were smashed on impact- it was not a crash they could survive. :(

That is the saddest story ever, it made me cry the entire time. EVERY time I put my kids in the car I buckle them tight and re-check their harness, etc and I always feel good that they are safe and secure, and I have done everything I can do to keep them protected in the event of a crash- as parents that is all we can truly do. It's horrible to think that it's all out of our control, we can do all we can on our end but there are collisions that are just not preventable.

So sad.

I think it was also sad that the driver of the semi was not a drunk driver or negligent, etc- the van was stopped at an exit ramp, and it was reported there was a curve on the highway, the semi just didn't see the stopped traffic in time to stop. At least that was my understanding of the story, and the man was a father himself, all I can think about it his guilt and living with that his entire life.

Cryssy Jane

I'm not familiar with the complete story but after watching the first youtube video, that def is a britax seat that the officer is standing over, and it looks like the shell is pretty much destroyed. I don't believe that there would have been any way to better protect these kiddos in this situation. Sadly there are certain crashes that are just not survivable and unfortunetly this looks like one. It sounds like mom and grandma were also critically injured, which means that not even the front seats were 'safe' in this accident.

HayleyCPST

It is such a sad story. My heart goes out to them.

There is a "happy" ending to the story. The mom gave birth to triplets a while ago. 1 boy and 2 girls. An absolute miracle. They lost 1 boy and their 2 girls and now have triplets. Amazing

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC