When would you feel comfortable allowing your child to ride in the front seat?

U

Unregistered

My situation..

I currently drive a minivan and I have 3 children. My oldest DS is 12 year old, a little over 5', roughly 95lbs, and using the seat belt safely. My other DS and DD are 8 and 6 and both in HBBs.

I know this makes me sound like a terrible mother, but I've been driving a minivan for over 8 years and I simply want something more fun! (and with better mileage). I'm thinking a honda insight, mazda6, volvo s40, lexus IS 250, or audi a4.

My question is would you feel comfortable putting a child with my oldest son's stats up front on a regular (though not all the time I'm thinking when one of the other children a friend with us etc) basis?

If you are not comfortable with it what other prerequisites do you have or do you just think someone should not sit up front until they are driving?

ADS
U

Unregistered

I keep my 5'3" 11 yr old in back and will until he starts driving. According to an article on the Evolution of Front Airbags at edmunds.com, kids ages 13 and 14 were at risk even from depowered airbags because they lack the bone density and muscle mass. At puberty changes occur in the body that allow older teens to benefit from front passenger airbags.

BabyB'sMom15

I don't think you're a bad mom for wanting to drive something more fun. ;)
But I also think that if you were 100% comfortable letting your oldest ride in front you wouldn't have come here to ask this question.
I'm not a tech, so I can't really answer your initial question but I do have a suggestion. Maybe add some fun crossovers to your list that have a 3rd row you can use when you need to transport a 4th child? Check out the Maxda CX-9. I drove one until recently and it was a lot of fun to drive. Maybe something like that can be a step in between the minivan and your dream "fun" car. HTH!

Baylor

I completely understand the more fun thing. I would keep him in back just because I feel like it is the safest place. But I get how you feel.

And you are not terrible for thinking it or wanting it. After years of minivans myself I so want to get an suv again!!

I think you always think of them as your kids. I still cringe when my dd leaves the house in her car... she is 21...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This is exactly why I bought my Mazda5. Well, not for "fun," really, but I was definitely sick of minivans! I'd been having to use my dh's Golf to transport the kids to various therapies, 90 miles round-trip, because the gas was so much cheaper in his car than in my Chevy Astro. My oldest had to ride up front, of course - started when he was 11, I think? I wasn't thrilled with it.

So I went car-shopping, found the Mazda 5, which allowed me to keep the all the kids in the back seat, but gets much better gas mileage.

Of course, my oldest is 16 now and taking driver's ed, and routinely rides in the front passenger seat... but I still make him ride in the back unless it's just the two of us. :p

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A 12yo in front is not the worst thing you could do, but it really isn't the best either. Any chance you could hold out for just another two years or so?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Check your state laws. Here in WA that would be illegal. They have to be 13 to ride in the front. Or more accurately, they must ride in the back, when practical to do so, until 13 years old. So Piper rode in the front of a friend's car when he had only two headrests and no middle tether or shoulder belt. My mother's helper (13 in March, probably 5'4", and at a guess about 105 pounds) rides in the front because her ears are over my head hump in the back.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC