Much advise needed

DanielNathan

Hi, we are from South Africa. I need some advise.

I have 2 boys one aged 8 months(7.5kgs - 16.5pounds) and 26 months(11.5kgs - 25.3pounds)

Currently my baby is still in the rear facing carry along carseat(Chelino)

t143a.jpg

I currently have my older one in the Maxi cosi priori XP

maxi_cosi_priori_xp.gif

My question is:

The baby will be growing out of this seat soon. he is very tall and his feet is againts the back of the seat. His weight and size is still fine but his legs are long.

Older child is still fine in his carseat, he is a very small 26 month old.

My dilemma, I do not want to get another Maxi cosi priori(for baby) as it will probably last less than a year and then I need to get the older one a booster seat. So much money to give out.

We found this seat for the older boy -

41IwU0fc1DL._SL500_SY225_SX189_.jpg

It is for 9-36kgs and I put Daniel into it and he fits very well...

But a cheaper version and one that he can sit in for longer...

http://googoogear.ca/images/graco_turbobooster.jpg

What I do not like about the Graco is that Daniel would be using the carseat to attach him and carseat to car...whereas with the Ferrari he would still be able to use the straps of the carseat, and the seat is seperately attached to the car, until he is older.

I do like the rearfacing seats for older kids, we have the RECARRO brand here in SA...but I will have to save a year to be able to afford this.

What is the best...I am just not sure...I want the best for my kids and the safest..thank you!

ADS

Joddle

When the baby grows out of the infant carrier I would put him in the Maxi Cosi, and buy the red convertible seat for Daniel. He needs to have a 5-point harness until he is a lot bigger/older, so the Graco Turbobooster wouldn't be suitable just yet.

chay

The baby will be growing out of this seat soon. he is very tall and his feet is againts the back of the seat. His weight and size is still fine but his legs are long.

Having their feet hit the back of the seat is fine and is not a safety hazard. I know it looks like it would be bad for their legs in a collision but in fact forward facing kids are more likely to break their legs than RF even with them touching or folded up. As long as his torso fits the seat (most seats here go by having 1" of shell above their head, I'm not familiar with the Chelino so I'm not sure what their guideline is) and he is within the weight limits he is fine staying in that seat.

cookie123

I'm not familiar with your seats either, but for sure a 2 year old should not be in the last seat, which is a belt positioning booster seat and uses the vehicle seat belt. Children that young can't be responsible for their own safety. They are unable to stay in position, leaving them open to unnecessary injury in a crash. Also it is unlikely he would have an optimal seat belt fit since he is still so small. A seat like this is appropriate starting at 5 - 6, when a child is old enough to understand he has to stay in place and mature enought to do it.

I also would put your baby in the maxi cosi and get the harnessed seat for your older child. Most rear facing seats here in the U.S. are outgrown when there is less than one inch of shell above the head, or the child meets the weight limit. Forward facing harnessed seats are outgrown when the ears go above the shell, the shoulders go above the top harness slot, or the weight limit is met.

SO, rear facing, harness should be at or below the shoulders; forward facing, harness should be at or above the shoulders.

Since there's likely not a lot of familiarity with child seat use in your country here, I would read your car seat manuals carefully to make sure you are using them properly, as it's alway best to use the seat per the manufacturer's instructions. We may be able to help you decode any 'manual speak' you don't understand.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks for coming to Car-Seat.org to ask us your question. :thumbsup: We're always happy to help.:)

Just to clarify, can your Maxi Cosi Priori be used rear-facing? The US version of the seat is a convertible (can be used rear-facing or forward-facing) but I believe the European version of the seat is a forward-facing-only seat. Your infant should most definitely be in a rear-facing seat.

If your Maxi Cosi seat can be used rear-facing, I’d use it for the baby and move your older child to a larger harnessed seat, such as the one you pictured. Your two-year-old shouldn't be boostered for a while yet. Four years and 40 lbs. is a good minimum to shoot for as far as moving a child to a booster.

If your Maxi Cosi seat is forward-facing-only, I would suggest buying a convertible (or rear-facing-only) seat for the baby and keeping your older child in the Maxi Cosi until it's outgrown. When the Maxi Cosi is just about outgrown, re-evaluate.
:twocents:

BananaBoat

LuciaBella is a member here & a CPST who I believe recently spent some time in South Africa. If you send her a Private Message, she may have more familiarity with appropriate seats that are locally available.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

amyd

LuciaBella is a member here & a CPST who I believe recently spent some time in South Africa. If you send her a Private Message, she may have more familiarity with appropriate seats that are locally available.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

She recently changed her username. It's HayleyCPST now, I believe. And yes, she could advise you on what's available in SA.

DanielNathan

Thanks so much for your help. Why I like the Ferrari(the bottom red seat) is that it still has the straps over the body, instead of using the carseat itself to strap in the child. It is from 9kgs and upward. I also am looking into the Maxi cosi tobi...but I see in this pic...

maxicosi_tobi_phantom.jpg

The seatbelt goes right around the base, and I dont think our cars straps will be long enough.

I just read an article from Sweden re rear facing carseats, and it is so important to have that until age 4 min. In South Africa we only have the Ricaro carseats that are rear facing...oi oi oi...

I just want to make the best decision for our boys..what to do...

DanielNathan

You would not believe it...the only importer of rear facing seats in SA just contacted me to be the sales person in our region...isnt that awesome!!!!

I am so excited!

Adventuredad

As you probably have noticed car seat habits vary a lot depending on region and country. Some find it ridiculous to even use a car seat at all while the Swedes are on the other side keeping their kids rear facing to age 4 or so.

As posters above pointed out, a high back booster with seat belt is not suitable for children under 4 years of age. Keeping kids rear facing is also much safer than forward facing regardless of age. Difference in safety is largest for the little ones but remain large also during the toddler years.

Please post if you have any more thoughts or questions.

mykidsmylife

What about 2 Recaros and keep both rear-facing?

I played with the Ferari seat and I think it would get your son to a safe booster age, if you choose not to put him back rear-facing.

Do you have the Storchenmule seats available to you? What about the Cybex Pallas?
These are 2 other options that will last a little longer.

The Tobi would not be a good choice for the oldest as it will not last long. My small 4 yr old is too tall for it.

HayleyCPST

Ok, so now that I'm up to date on everything....

I believe the only RF recaro available is the Polaric--at least thats what the recaro guys told me at Baba Indaba baby expo. It's very expensive, but goes up to 18kgs RF where as all the other ones go to 13kgs. Plus it is ISOFIX and during my 8 month stay, I only saw 2 cars that had ISOFIX. What car will these seats be going into?

If you want to deal locally in ZA, then the highest weight limit seat RF is 13kgs and the highest harnessed seat FF is 18kgs. That's just how it goes.

With this information, I'd look into going to Baby City or Edgars and what their selection is. What's your price range?

For Daniel, I'd look into the safeway executive. I believe Edgars had it last time I checked. Where are you located? This should get Daniel to a good boostered age. Also the Chicco Key1 and Neptune would be good. The neptune would also make a great booster. I'd highly highly recommend the Neptune, if you can get your hands on it. ETA: IF you can't, then try the Bebe confort Trianos or the travel safe junior maxi. These should also get him to a good boostered age.

For the baby, I would not use the Priori for him because it's a group 1. He should still be Rear facing. In that case, I would get him a 0+/1 to keep him rear facing until at least 15kgs. When the baby outgrows the chelino (by height) then you can get him a Safeway Indy or Formula 1. Babycity has got to have them.

Are you interested in importing? Other countries have better options and you can ship those in if it fits in your budget. South Africa really doesn't have any car seat requirements. most of the ones I've seen in SA comply with the ECE 44/03

HTH

DanielNathan

Ok, so now that I'm up to date on everything....

I believe the only RF recaro available is the Polaric--at least thats what the recaro guys told me at Baba Indaba baby expo. It's very expensive, but goes up to 18kgs RF where as all the other ones go to 13kgs. Plus it is ISOFIX and during my 8 month stay, I only saw 2 cars that had ISOFIX. What car will these seats be going into?

If you want to deal locally in ZA, then the highest weight limit seat RF is 13kgs and the highest harnessed seat FF is 18kgs. That's just how it goes.

With this information, I'd look into going to Baby City or Edgars and what their selection is. What's your price range?

For Daniel, I'd look into the safeway executive. I believe Edgars had it last time I checked. Where are you located? This should get Daniel to a good boostered age. Also the Chicco Key1 and Neptune would be good. The neptune would also make a great booster. I'd highly highly recommend the Neptune, if you can get your hands on it. ETA: IF you can't, then try the Bebe confort Trianos or the travel safe junior maxi. These should also get him to a good boostered age.

For the baby, I would not use the Priori for him because it's a group 1. He should still be Rear facing. In that case, I would get him a 0+/1 to keep him rear facing until at least 15kgs. When the baby outgrows the chelino (by height) then you can get him a Safeway Indy or Formula 1. Babycity has got to have them.

Are you interested in importing? Other countries have better options and you can ship those in if it fits in your budget. South Africa really doesn't have any car seat requirements. most of the ones I've seen in SA comply with the ECE 44/03

HTH

Thank you so much for responding to me...

What about the Maxi cosi tobi?

I looked at the safeway range...the Safeway legacy, as it can be rearfacing till 13kgs...but it looks so plasticy and light...I am not super fond of it...

I really like the tobi,

I have a 1987 BMW, so it is not the biggest car...and no isofix..hehe...

HayleyCPST

Thank you so much for responding to me...

What about the Maxi cosi tobi?

I looked at the safeway range...the Safeway legacy, as it can be rearfacing till 13kgs...but it looks so plasticy and light...I am not super fond of it...

I really like the tobi,

I have a 1987 BMW, so it is not the biggest car...and no isofix..hehe...

I know you really like the Tobi, but I would not recommend it. If Daniel is already growing out of the Priori, then he will also be growing out of the Tobi at the same rate. They are equal in shell height and harness heights. You might need to let this one go if you don't want to buy another car seat for him in a few months.

If you don't fancy the safeway brand, then how about Chicco? I recommended the Neptune(highly!) or the Key1 for daniel. http://www.chicco.com/ProdottiChicc...rt/04079079230000/language/en-US/Default.aspx or the Graco Nautilus http://www.gracobaby.eu/en_EU/product/8J95/BKSE/

The safeway ones are just as safe as any other ones I recommended, as they are all ECE44/04 approved. As long as you install the seat correctly and buckle your children in correctly every time, they are technically all the same.

For the baby, I recommended the Safeway Formula1. http://www.babycity.co.za/full_product.php?step=1&Pid=59&Bid=17&Did=1
I've seen this in person and it does not seem flimsy to me. The executive does. The reason I recommended the Safeway Formula1 is that it RF to 13kgs, then you can turn the baby FF until 25kgs. You won't need to buy another seat for him later. or you can get the baby this one http://www.chicco.com/ProdottiChicc...rt/00071505430000/language/en-US/Default.aspx

What city do you stay in and are you interested in importing?

ETA: Wait a second, I'm confused now on the seat you should get for the baby. They are all meshing together. I'm at work and I don't have my edgars catalog in front of me like I did yesterday. I'll post again later tonight with a seat rec for the baby. I still highly recommend the Neptune for Daniel.

HayleyCPST

Ok, I'm back. Now that I've looked at my handy Edgars catalogue, I've found a new page that I haven't seen before!
For Daniel, the same recs: neptune or Key1. Additional recs would be the Bambino Roadster or grand prix. The Roadster would make a better booster down the road. To keep Daniel super safe, you will need to keep him in the 5 pt harness until he reaches the highest weight and height limits of the seat you get him. Please don't get him the Tobi, it's essentially the exact same as the Priori. I know, you don't want to hear this.

For the baby, it's not looking good if you want to RF him past 13kgs, unfortunately unless you import. BUT what you can do to keep him as safe as can be is to get him a convertible car seat (that goes RF and then FF later) and use it up to 13kgs then turn him FF and use it all the way up to 18kgs. Seat recommendations for baby are (in order of how long the seat will last): Concord Ultimax, Chicco Proxima, Bebe Confort Iseos-Neo.

All these seats should fit in your car as I've installed some into a polo, opal and a Citroen C4 (all the cars my friends had).

let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:

DanielNathan

Thank you so much for your help...Daniel actually went in a friends Chicco neptune for a trip and he fitted very nicely. Think will keep my eye out for one of them, maybe we should look into selling the maxi cosi and getting a rear facing Safeway that can turn forward facing for Nathan. Thanks so much again, I am more clear now!!!

DanielNathan

Ok Haley, this is what we doing....

I am thinking now. Daniel is just 11kgs, Nathan nearly 9. So my thought is to get the safeway formula 1's for both of them, and I can have them rearfacing till they 13kgs, Daniel is very small. Then just sell the Maxi cosi, as it is in very good condition. What you think?

HayleyCPST

Ok Haley, this is what we doing....

I am thinking now. Daniel is just 11kgs, Nathan nearly 9. So my thought is to get the safeway formula 1's for both of them, and I can have them rearfacing till they 13kgs, Daniel is very small. Then just sell the Maxi cosi, as it is in very good condition. What you think?

I would sell the Maxi Cosi so that you can have extra money to buy other things. Good idea! :thumbsup:

As for rear facing Daniel, go right ahead! I know the Formula 1 is a bit taller than the Priori (maybe only by 4-5 cms) so I'm not sure how long you'd really be able to RF him for. Could you please measure his seated height? To do this, you will need to have him sit cross-legged on the ground and measure from his bottom to the tip of his ears. If he's wiggly, then can you do it while he's in his car seat strapped in? This would help me find a good seat for you to RF him in. He would totally benefit from being rear facing even though it's only for a little while.

I just don't want you to buy the Formula 1 for Daniel and have him outgrow that one in 6 months.
Once I get that measurement, I can do some more research.

ETA: or if you don't have a measuring tape, then could you estimate how many centimeters his ears are from the top of the priori?

U

Unregistered

Advise needed on a car seat

Hi all,

Also based in South Africa. Budget aside just so I can look at all options, what is the best option of a car seat for my 11 month old (will move him out of his current car seat at 13kgs) ) I want something that is preferably group 1-2-3 that will last as long as possible and if it could be RF and FF that would be ideal.

Hope you can help. Thanks :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC