used Sienna specs

ed_tricia

We are thinking about upgrading to a minivan. I've read lots of reviews and safety stuff and would like to get a Sienna if possible. Budget is under $10k. I was looking at 2002-03 models, but it seems like there was a big redo in 2004 that may have added features I really want. I've searched online and can't find some of the info. I need to make a decision. We have 2 kids, a 4.5 yo (40", 36 lbs.) FF in a nautilus or RF/FF in a myride and a 3 mo. old (21", 10 lbs.) RF in a truefit or the myride. Older DD will be harnessed at least another year or two in her nautilus and younger DD will be RF at least until 3 years. We may or may not have more children in the future. I am 5'1" and DH is 6'1", so he needs to be able to scoot the seats back.
For what model year you have (had), can you tell me:
location of LATCH, esp. concerned w/ tethers
do 2nd row seats slide together if you have capt. chairs
would 2 of the above seats fit side by side
do seats "stow and go" or need to be removed
do seats fold flat for cargo
is there a well behind the 3rd row
is 3rd row center lap or shoulder belt
are the car seats listed above easy to install
can the convertibles fit RF in 2nd row if front seats are back pretty far
anything else you like or dislike about the model year you have
Thanks soooo much!

ADS

ed_tricia

Anyone? We're looking to buy this summer.
To add more questions:
7 or 8 pass.? Only 2 kids, but frequently have family in town as well as friends w/ kids in seats.
What 3 acrosses have you done?
We own a nautilus, myride, truefit, and now also a snugride22. I am thinking about keeping an extra seat installed all the time for "just in case" since our seats fit such a range of kids. The baby will probably be in the snugride for several more months (she's itty bitty-13 lbs. at 7 mos.) and then either of the convertibles RF for years after that.

christineka

I have an 8 passenger '07. I believe 2004-2009 are all basically the same. There are 5 positions with full latch. The one without is third row, driver's side. The middle seats scoot forward and backward. With the seat scooted all the way back, I can fit a rfing radian behind the front seat scooted all the way back, but the front seat can't be reclined much.

I can get probably any 3 across the middle due to the ability to stagger the seats. I have never tried a 3 across that didn't work- only boosters that didn't. The seatbelt buckle stalk is located below the seat and so it can be difficult to buckle a booster. I now have an old style parkway and a britax bodyguard booster (super skinny seat with flip up belt guides) in the middle row.

You can check the three across thread for many third row setups.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There was an upgrade in '06, I believe, that included an upgrade in the engine and side airbags included instead of being optional. The '99-'03 models have only 1 tether anchor available in the 2nd row and you'd have to retrofit on models earlier than '01. There are only 2 latch positions in MY '01-'03 vans: 2nd row driver's side and 3rd row passenger's side.

If you can swing it, I'd look for at least an '04 with side airbags. The 3rd folds flat for cargo and there's a cargo well when it's up. There are lap/shoulder belts in all positions, unlike the previous model.

I had a '00 and a '05 Sienna and the '05 was more configurable and had better safety features.

MANDY1234

I have an 06' and love it...all my seats have been easy to install. I only with I had an eighth seat :)

location of LATCH, esp. concerned w/ tethersLatch is in all postions besides 3rd row, drivers side. I just always have a RF there. I load through the hatch, super easy!!
do 2nd row seats slide together if you have capt. chairsYes.
do seats "stow and go" or need to be removedThe 3rd row is stow and go but the captian chairs you have to remove. Honstely, I looed at the stow and go models in other mini vans, and well they seemed like cheap lawn chairs compaired to my caption chairs lol Just opion...
do seats fold flat for cargoMy 3rd row does go flat...I just had everything out last week wish I would have taken pictures :(
is there a well behind the 3rd rowHUGE HUGE cargo area behind the 3rd row!! I carry lots of stuff and can still fit my grocerys in there!!
is 3rd row center lap or shoulder belt It is shoulder belt
are the car seats listed above easy to install The onyl seat I had problems with is the FR80 but I never have anyone to help me...
can the convertibles fit RF in 2nd row if front seats are back pretty far I have never put anything but my CCO in RF in the second row. Like I said before I leave my RF in the 3rd, load through the hatch, and I always have easy access into the van through the sliding doors.
anything else you like or dislike about the model year you have There really isn't anything I can think of...I really like my van and wish I would have given in and gotten one years ago :)

GA Mom

I own a 2001 Sienna and will be purchasing a newer generation (maybe 2008) *8* passenger Sienna soon. So I have been comparing the two vehicles. Hope to help. This link gives some good info, and Edmunds True Market Value helps with getting a fair price, not the dealer inflated asking price or even Blue Book (KBB = the price the dealer wants, not what people actually pay!):
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/sienna/?ps=used&

OK, so the oldest Siennas were like MINI minivans. The newer style has over 9 inches more leg room throughout the seating rows. The newer model is a few inches wider too. (The newer Sienna has almost two more inches of hip room on the third row for instance). The cargo volume goes up TREMENDOUSLY! From 26 to 43 cubic feet, I believe.

As others have noted, there are lots more latches and tethers on the newer model. For my model year, there are two anchors in the third row for the outboard seats, for instance, but I haven't found the one in the middle seating area (they say there is one there, so 3 total for the 2001 car).

In 2001 there is no well in the back. All seats must be removed, no stowing or folding down and out of the way. The new Sienna DOES have a well and the whole back bench folds down into it or you can do 40 or 60 percent side folding down.

ONE THING I can add to the discussion, there is only a lap belt in the center position of the third row on the 2001 Sienna. No shoulder belt! That was a problem for us, because only an infant/convertible can go there, no persons without seats or boosters can use that spot safely.

Our old van has been a blessing (showing some starting/stalling problems in last year, now that it is 10 years old, though). The mechanics can't seem to track down the cause :( The only other problem we've had over the past couple years is that the PLASTIC outer handles have almost all broken and had to be replaced at about $100 each parts only. Husband has to do the labor and it's a silly piece of plastic and costs 100 dollars. :thumbsdown: Only the passenger front door has remained unbroken. The stress of multiple openings over 8 to 10 years just was too much.

But the moral of this story is that if you can get the newer (2004 to 2010) generation, you are getting newer, bigger, LOTS more cargo space and leg room, a bit more width on the back seat, lots more latch and tether spots, etc. FYI, the 2011 Sienna is the newest complete redesign and does not have some of these same benefits. They went 'backwards' in some regards. But that is another discussion....

GA Mom

One other answer to your questions: For the 2001 (and I doubt 2002/3 are any different) the two captains chairs do not slide together for a middle bench seat. No side to side motion available. Don't know about the newer generation.

Jillian

Edmunds is showing that the dealer price for a particular van I'm looking at (LE 8 seater, 50k miles, red in color) should be around $16k for a certified vehicle. The dealer is asking almost $19k. What do you think my chances are of snagging it at $16k?

GA Mom

Yes, I am going to be up against this same question in the next couple months. Dealer vs. what I want to pay! Negotiating several hundred dollars or even $1000 seems possible, but I am also unsure that a dealer would "go for" much more. I have only bought 2 cars ever, one from a dealer and one from an individual who placed an ad (then got it fully inspected by the Toyota dealer shop, even inside the engine, etc.) so I am not really a person to respond well. I am hoping to get a dealer asking within about $1000 or $1500 more than Edmunds TMV price, then go in willing to go up maybe $500 from the TMV price, but expecting them to go down that $1000 or so...

BEST Wishes figuring out what to do! There is one car I have been eyeing, but it's in Stafford, VA. Doesn't look perfect (look closely at the driver door and front bumper driver scuff) but 2008 8 seater, only 20K miles and asking is just under $17K:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...rds=25&seller_type=b&cardist=3&standard=false

Anyhow, maybe you'd be interested?! :) Best wishes in finding the right van for you at the right price.

vtbecca

I have an 06 Sienna and LOVE it! I do wish we had the 8 passenger but we got it used so we had to take what they had. We had a van without any sort of stowing seat before and I can't get over the room in the trunk. We used to need a roof box on every trip, now we just need one for Christmas :)

The seats in the middle row can be put next to each other. They don't slide but you unlatch them and can move one over to be closer to the other.

Good luck with your negotiating. I hate that part!

Becca

MANDY1234

Edmunds is showing that the dealer price for a particular van I'm looking at (LE 8 seater, 50k miles, red in color) should be around $16k for a certified vehicle. The dealer is asking almost $19k. What do you think my chances are of snagging it at $16k?[/QUOTE

You can try. They wanted $18K for mine, I got them down to $14.5K.The key is be ready to walk away. I had all my financing ready before I got they and even told them my max price. ($14.5K) They tried to get me to just pay what I wanted but I stood my ground and was out the door once...and they magicly there were papers in my hand that said I was paying $14.5K :) Goolge Haggling. It really help me to be prepared!!
GL!

ladybug_mom

MANDY1234 said:
I have an 06' and love it...all my seats have been easy to install. I only with I had an eighth seat :)

location of LATCH, esp. concerned w/ tethersLatch is in all postions besides 3rd row, drivers side. I just always have a RF there. I load through the hatch, super easy!!
do 2nd row seats slide together if you have capt. chairsYes.
do seats "stow and go" or need to be removedThe 3rd row is stow and go but the captian chairs you have to remove. Honstely, I looed at the stow and go models in other mini vans, and well they seemed like cheap lawn chairs compaired to my caption chairs lol Just opion...
do seats fold flat for cargoMy 3rd row does go flat...I just had everything out last week wish I would have taken pictures :(
is there a well behind the 3rd rowHUGE HUGE cargo area behind the 3rd row!! I carry lots of stuff and can still fit my grocerys in there!!
is 3rd row center lap or shoulder belt It is shoulder belt
are the car seats listed above easy to install The onyl seat I had problems with is the FR80 but I never have anyone to help me...
can the convertibles fit RF in 2nd row if front seats are back pretty far I have never put anything but my CCO in RF in the second row. Like I said before I leave my RF in the 3rd, load through the hatch, and I always have easy access into the van through the sliding doors.
anything else you like or dislike about the model year you have There really isn't anything I can think of...I really like my van and wish I would have given in and gotten one years ago :)

ITA with everything MANDY1234 said and wanted to add a couple of things.

Like she said when the back row is folded in ( Super easy to do as well) the cargo space is HUGE! with the second row seats folded up, I picked up a full size fridge in it for my mom and the back hatch could even close! the guys at the appliance store were in shock that it fit in a minivan!

With regards to installing seats I've installed many many types and the only one I've ever had issues with was the Radian RF in the middle row. It kept over reclining over time. I ended up installing it in the third row driver side- the only location that didn't have a top TA, worked great for us! The back row is a 33/66 Split and I would stow just the 33 side (pax outboard) to be able to easily get to the back row.

HTH!

I love, love, love my Sienna!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC