Mazda Tribute 3-across (Mazda's version of the Ford Escape)

lil.miss32

HELP!! I'm not sure I can even get 3 Radians in there! I tried putting the 2 Radians on the outside of the LATCH bars and putting in with seatbelt, but they raise up SO much!!! I'm sure way more than is allowed, it's crazy! With the way the LATCH bars are, I can't go anywhere but in between them, or outside of them. Between them, using seatbelt doesn't change the position, so LATCH or seatbelt works... But I can't fit ANYTHING between them. I've tried a KeyFit 30, but it sat ON TOP of the Radians, meaning the base didn't fully touch the seat, and I didn't like that. I tried a MyRide thinking maybe they would puzzle, and no. Another Radian won't fit.

We've got 2 Radian XTSL, a MyRide, an Evenflo Symphony, a KeyFit 30, and soon to have a Graco Snugride (dunno if 22, or 32). Please help! We have 2, and one on the way... I'm so nervous that we won't be able to afford a van. I need to know this will work, last resort.

ADS

cookie123

Re: Mazda Tribute 3-across

What year is your Tribute? I have done 3 across in mine, but 2 were ff, and I didn't have a Radian at the time. I think people with other model years have had better luck with Radians than me.

cookie123

Are you using the 2 Radians rf outboard now? Just wondering because I can't get mine upright enough for me to sit and drive - my knees literally touch the dash. The passenger seat is pretty far up too. It works best for me in the center with the seat belt install. It fits nicely between the front seats.

lil.miss32

I'm using both outboard, we need both of them. The seats are very close to the dash, luckily I'm short. Not so lucky for my husband (who's 6') but he deals because he knows the kids are safe... It's an '05 Tribute... None are forward facing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Tribute is the Mazda version of the Ford Escape, right? I believe we have some members with Escapes and hopefully they'll see this and share some pointers with you, too. You could also try checking the Successful 3 Across thread for entries for the Tribute and Escape, and also their Mercury Mariner corporate cousin/ sibling model. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I got 3-across my SIL's Escape with much wider seats (Turbo, Marathon, Scenera) so I'm sure you could do 3 Radians. Alternatively, you could swap one Radian out with a My Ride, which overlaps the Radian perfectly and takes up less room than 3 Radians next to each other.

lil.miss32

I posted in the 3-across thread, but I realize now that it wasn't independently tight. I can't find it to delete now, tho...

And the LATCH bars are what's messing me up, down IN the seat... If I put the Radian boot closer to the door, then it leans super far when I install with seatbelt. I'll have to try the MyRide again. My husband tried it, and said it was too wide, and the base didn't fit on the seat (it was too raised up and didn't actually TOUCH the seat) This may be a moot point if Bubba keeps growing how he has been, as he may have to FF by the time baby comes, and I'll have to figure out something else come then.

lil.miss32

I got 3-across my SIL's Escape with much wider seats (Turbo, Marathon, Scenera) so I'm sure you could do 3 Radians. Alternatively, you could swap one Radian out with a My Ride, which overlaps the Radian perfectly and takes up less room than 3 Radians next to each other.

The widths work when I install with seatbelts, but the boot is screwing me up.

cookie123

I'm curious if you have leather seats or not. I haven't tried installing closer to the door rf outboard, and it's icky and cold out today here. But have you tried using a locking clip to eliminate the tilting?

lil.miss32

I wasn't sure if I could use a locking clip on that side? If so, that'll probably fix my problem. I don't have leather, they're cloth seats.

TiaxMarie

I can fit my Keyfit30 next to my Radian both RF. I haven't tried putting anything on the other side of the Keyfit, though, but I bet another Radian would fit there.

cookie123

The locking clip goes on the side with the buckle. There's a link to how to use one - does anyone have that? When using the locking clip, you don't need to lock the seat belt.

lil.miss32

OK. I'll try it! Thank you!!!

Tia- I can fit my KF30 between the 2 Radians, but it lifts up off of the bench.

I'll try the locking clip tonight and see how it goes. I'll take pictures and maybe y'all can help me. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC