Darn Disney Booster Commercial!

tjham

I know I've heard that this commercial is great and I can see that it is, for big kids who are not in boosters and should be. BUT it stinks for kids in 5 pt harnesses who now think they should be in a booster instead! My almost 6 yr old 37 lb. 16.5 inch torsoed granddaughter just saw it and was all "I want a booster!" I just told her the seats she had were much safer and changed the subject but I wish she hadn't seen that commercial! :(

ADS

indie

My daughter just turned four and she keeps asking "when do I get a new carseat" because the other kids are getting them. I might move her into the Radian when I buy it after #3 is born so she feels like she's moving up.

tjham

She has 5 seats in 4 cars and has never complained before! ;) Ashley Floral MA in her mom's car, Sycamore Platinum Cargo in dad's truck, black Bolero in grandpa's truck, FP SVD (with Granite MA cover :whistle: ) in my car and a spare Chase. I just got a Radian to soon replace the Cargo, but haven't tried her in it yet. She's a whiz at buckling herself into all of these, but not out yet. I have thought about being open to a booster (or 5 :rolleyes: ) but actually her mom (my son's exgirlfriend) wants her in a 5 pt harness as long as possible also! And dad and grandpa have trucks with lap belts center back.

I'm afraid she's the type of kid who will use a booster once and then not want to go back to being harnessed. (Can be a "leeetle" bit stubborn!)

teekadog

Can you use flattery on your granddaughter? As in, "Disney shows that commercial to teach the kids that don't know about car seats that they should still be in car seats. But you're even smarter than that and know that a harness is EVEN SAFER than a booster!" This sort of logic tends to work on my dd...

Dragonflymama

I haven't seen the commercial yet, but I cringe each time we are shopping at Target because they have the Disney-patterned backless boosters prominently displayed on a end cap. So far, DD is good with me saying that she is not big enough for those yet and her seat is much safer and more comfortable. But I wonder how long will this explanation will last as more and more of her little friends move to boosters (too soon, IMHO, becasue most are smaller than her and also surely can not sit properly for the entire ride even if they pass the fit test.

The thing that bugs me is that the target audience for the Disney charecters is a younger age than the appropriate backless booster age (generally speaking- I know there are some large and mature preschoolers and kindergarteners out there).

Why doesn't Graco pick something liek Barbie (cringe) or superheros to promote the backless boosters to teh appropriate target audience??

Hoping that a new pink Radian cover + her new Olivia MA will keep her happy for awhile. Hard to compete with the Disney princesses in teh 3-5 yo girl sector.

Simplysomething

Barbie skews much younger than she used to. I say they cover them with a girly horse pattern (as opposed to..say cowboys). What is it with little girls and horses?

My question is why don't they make the full dang booster in the trademarked prints? Cars, Pirates, Princess...etc. All low-back boosters. If they just made the thing in the high back, it wouldn't be so bad. A 40 lb 4 year old probably isn't too "grown up" for a princess high back. Of course, she might be at 5, but maybe they could make them reversible. Where it was princesses on one side and a solid color on the other side.

Also, could they stop with the whole 3 years and 30 lbs thing for the high back? GRACO, you suck!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I had a little girl go absolutely gaga over a ziploc full of barbies at our last yard sale.

(yes, my boys had barbies. my little ponies too.)

she was 18 months old (I know this because I asked her mom.)

18 months old.

That's ridiculous.

FTR, they weren't "real" barbies, and they weren't bratz. They were "wee three friends" or something to that effect. They had ahem... "normal" proportions. And they weren't wearing fishnets.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My question is why don't they make the full dang booster in the trademarked prints? Cars, Pirates, Princess...etc. All low-back boosters. If they just made the thing in the high back, it wouldn't be so bad. A 40 lb 4 year old probably isn't too "grown up" for a princess high back. Of course, she might be at 5, but maybe they could make them reversible. Where it was princesses on one side and a solid color on the other side.

Also, could they stop with the whole 3 years and 30 lbs thing for the high back? GRACO, you suck!

We have those here in Canada by Graco, the princesses and the cars ones anyways, not sure about the others. They reverse to coordinating colors - not sure how it's done as we don't have one, but they're advertised as reversible. eta They're the SS3, aka turbo-booster that can also be converted to a backless booster.

As for the 3 & 30lbs, at least they have the 3yr age on it.. evenflo doesn't even do that. (Although it has to be 40lbs in Canada anyways, so we have different labels.) ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't seen the commercial yet, but I cringe each time we are shopping at Target because they have the Disney-patterned backless boosters prominently displayed on a end cap. So far, DD is good with me saying that she is not big enough for those yet and her seat is much safer and more comfortable. But I wonder how long will this explanation will last as more and more of her little friends move to boosters (too soon, IMHO, becasue most are smaller than her and also surely can not sit properly for the entire ride even if they pass the fit test.

The thing that bugs me is that the target audience for the Disney charecters is a younger age than the appropriate backless booster age (generally speaking- I know there are some large and mature preschoolers and kindergarteners out there).

Why doesn't Graco pick something liek Barbie (cringe) or superheros to promote the backless boosters to teh appropriate target audience??

Hoping that a new pink Radian cover + her new Olivia MA will keep her happy for awhile. Hard to compete with the Disney princesses in teh 3-5 yo girl sector.

Maybe Hannah Montana for a backless booster... my dd was three when she loudly announced, "I want a Barbie Booster!", and I posted it on another board where marketers lurked, and they released the Evenflo Sightseer in Barbie and HotWheels...that's their crappiest booster, the Express (armless) with no harness! I still bought them...they are still in my attic, I still swear it was my kid that spurred the making of that horrid thing :D. But she is SO over barbie and hates disney princesses.... Hannah Montana is what it's all about (she's 7).

:)

I agree... the kids who should be in boosters are definitely too old for disney princesses to be cool, it's a drag kids are getting the wrong idea from these ads :p

Simplysomething

As for the 3 & 30lbs, at least they have the 3yr age on it.. evenflo doesn't even do that. (Although it has to be 40lbs in Canada anyways, so we have different labels.) ;)

Okay, how come your wacky carseat laws make the gracos better, but HWH's worse? lol
Seriously you've got a 40 lb minimum on boosters AND the cargo goes to 48 lbs...I love that.

Though even if the label said "40 lbs and 4 years old minimum"....people would ignore it. :(

I am not going to admit I've watched Hannah Montana...and I have no prepubescent girls living in my house...and my ds1 doesn't like it. Nope, not at all.

what about making a careseat cover out of some thin cotton material with a princess pattern on it. Jakob has Thomas and friends on his carseat at the moment. It's just the fabric you can buy at wal-mart it's really thin, and he likes it. I actually bought mine on ebay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC