Can I double the d-ring?

christineka

I now understand Jenmomtomany's problem with the d-ring and the third row. I now have a regent installed in front of a rfing radian. I had to unhook the radian's tether in order to tether the regent. I remembered that last time I needed to anchor to the floor, I simply (or not so simply as the case was), moved the middle seat to the forward most position, exposing the rear position anchors.

I just don't feel like moving that seat right now. Call me lazy. I don't care. I moved it twice and am not going to move it this week.

I hear sk now has longer d-rings. I might ask for one. I should probably find out how much longer they are first.

The d-rings I have, though, are too short to go around the seat track. Can I D-ring around another's ring and then use the combined D-ring to tether my rfing radian?

ADS

Chameleon

You don't need to wrap it around the seat track, if you go back to that thread from yesterday I explained how to tether it to the floor of the van where the seat clicks into it. You don't even need to move the seat at all.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Christine, I was able to get the d-ring around the hook in the floor with the seat in place. I used the outer hook, and was on the floor of the van, and folded the fabric loop end of the d-ring in half, found the hook in the floor, was able to push it under, and then pull it out the other side. The metal part did get stuck under the seat part, because I wasn't paying attention to where that part was going. It might be better for you to get your 10 year old to help:D

A little more clearly:

As you know, this is the hook in the floor.

seatconnector.jpg

This is the outside of the middle seat driver.

footofseat.jpg

Now, if you are in the van, and push down the carpet on the inside of that "leg", you will feel a good portion of the hook available to loop around.

christineka

I'm confused. I guess I should go look at the other thread. Was this tethering to the middle seat or the outboard one?

christineka

I went out and looked. A little bit of bar is available. If It's okay to double the d-ring, what I did was lots easier and already done.

As it is, I'm going to switch the regent to the middle seat and the true fit outboard. I think I would then be able to reach into the back seat over the true fit (It doesn't extend above the seat back) to buckle ds 2, and that way dd3 can sit ffing in the middle, third row.

Mae

In my opinion, I wouldn't have a problem doubling the D-Ring. I would rather use a longer D-Ring (either from SKJP or from Britax -- yes, I said Britax), but I'd still be okay with this. Says the girl who used a Britax D-Ring on a Radian before SKJP had the longer D-Rings.

IMO, a rear facing tether is an "added feature". It's not required. What's the worst that can happen if it "fails" by doubling the d-ring or (gasp) using a different manufacturer's d-ring? The worst case scenario? It attempts to do it's job, but it doesn't. So? There is no downside to a RF tether failing -- the seat is required to pass testing withOUT the rear facing tether. It's not like the seat will magically fail because the tether didn't hold.

And, I (honestly) can't see how it would fail by miraculously using a different brand d-ring or doubling it up. It's the same concept. It's a bunch of webbing with a metal connector, whose job is to allow the tether to connect to it. It works. :shrug-shoulders:

There. I said it. And that's my opinion, and I know that other people have the same train of thought.

christineka

Mae- I though of all that too. I emailed sk just to make sure. Customer support checked with an sk tech, which said it was okay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC