would you have done this?

susanx4

My friend was telling me about last week she got a flat tire, and her husband was at home with their 5 children,
and he had to come help her, he had in his older truck, in back seat one booster and one comfort sport... he put 9 year old and 7 year old just seat belts, 5 year old booster, 2 year old comfortsport and.... 6 month old 23 lb in expired 20 lb snug ride... they put them in the right seats in moms van after fixing the flat....

she was a little freaked, but i told her while i would say NO way for everyday for that sort of emergency you have to do what you have to do, but told her to look into some cheaper safer back up seats!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, I would have called AAA or a tow truck.

If the kids *had* to be transported -- and that's the part that I'm doubting -- I guess he made the least bad of some very bad choices.

susanx4

they don't have any road side asst. and couldn't of afforded a tow truck, as it is she is sitting at home no able to go out till they can take it in to get a new tire, still has the spare on it, i am the only person who watches her kids and i wasn't available at the time. while i agree i would of tried to find some one to help me on the side of the road or watch the kids, they really didn't have anyone.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Then I would have called the police.

I'm sorry, I hate second-guessing, but when you ask "would you have done this", the answer has to be that I would have done just about anything rather than have my children transported the way it was described in the OP.

susanx4

she was about 3 miles from home. i guess she could of walked home and then had him go fix it then walked back...

i guess i am at least happy that he had a seatbelt for each kid... i told her to go get 2 of those cheap harmony backless at walmart and a scerena cost her what $75 tops and then she could have good back ups

susanx4

oh i do under stand your saying your choice, i don't think i would of done it either.. i think i would of rather left the 9 and 7 year old home even.. but that doesn't change the seat for the 6 month old either.... for me i have i have a 12 year old that if worst case could baby sit, i also have AAA as my DH won't come save me lol ( he works 2 hrs away)

i really think maybe this is an eye opener that they need some back up seats

christineka

I would have called around for a babysitter. I know many people who are home that would be more than happy to help my family out. My dh wouldn't think of it, but while I was on the phone with him, I would instruct him to do so.

sunnymw

Life or death emergency? I'd have done that. But then again I know how to change a tire and I believe that all women (barring physical handicaps) should be able to do it. You never know when you'll need it, and if you can't do it, then pay the $3 a month through a cell phone carrier for roadside assistance... or AAA... or etc etc etc.

Depending on the maturity of the 9yo I'd have left ALL the kids home long enough for dad to drive to the vehicle, and mom to drive the 2nd vehicle back home while dad fixed the first.

christineka

Depending on the maturity of the 9yo I'd have left ALL the kids home long enough for dad to drive to the vehicle, and mom to drive the 2nd vehicle back home while dad fixed the first.

I know I could trust my 9, 7, and 5 year olds home long enough to change a tire and return.

krasota

I can change a tire. My folks made sure I knew how to do that before I had a license. And I've done so despite some physical handicaps at different points in my life. There are always limitations, but if I couldn't change the tire and it was safe to walk home, I'd have walked home.

A flat tire isn't quite a zombies crashing into the neighborhood kind of situation.

At this point, I'd just be thankful that everyone was okay and move on.

WhatAboutPuppy

What I would've done in her EXACT situation would've been to walk home. In my version of the situation knowing what I know I would've changed my own tire.
And it sounds like hey don't have the money for back up seats so I think going forward i would make sure the seats were always with the kids whereever they are just in case of a true emergency. :)

4boysmom

I (as driver of flat) would have walked home and had dh drive back and fix the flat and then gotten a ride back to the fixed vehicle at a later time (or dh or I walked back to it) or had dh drive the 3 miles to me and I would have taken his vehicle back home to be with the kids while he fixed the flat.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
What I would've done in her EXACT situation would've been to walk home. In my version of the situation knowing what I know I would've changed my own tire.
And it sounds like hey don't have the money for back up seats so I think going forward i would make sure the seats were always with the kids whereever they are just in case of a true emergency. :)

I agree with this 100%.

susanx4

yeah now i think more and more if i couldn't change it i would of walked home too.. i don't think her 9 year old could of watched everyone... Maybe her 7 and 5 but not the babies.
i don't think she can drive her dh's truck (stick) and i think she said she couldn't get the spare off the van...
but anyway i agree its done and over now. just i don't think they ever thought they would need to put all 5 kids in his truck!

i told her its time to get rid of the bucket!

Cilia

No, I would not! I have been in two similar situations.

In the first one, I was about 6 months pregnant and got a flat. DD1 was int eh car with me. I change all my tires myself, so I know I can handle a situation with a flat and I did. No-one offered to help a poor preggo lady with a flat although quite e few cars drove past... Not that I think I would have liked help from a stranger at that point, but still.

The second one took place after DD2 was born. It was about 105 out and I thought that the car might be falling apart (a clamp holding the muffler in place fell off and the heat plate started vibrating against the bottom of the car). I called DH and he came down with DD1 in his car (DD2 was with me) in a proper car seat. If he would not have had a car seat for DD1 I would either have walked home or driven my car despite the noise.

Keeanh

I only have one seat per child + an extra Scenera. My rule is, the van (and thus the installed seats) stays with the littles. If I'm going out by myself or with a couple older ones, I take DH's car.

Guilty of not reading all posts.

Why didn't she change the tire herself? If she doesn't know how she darn well better learn. Not strong enough is an excuse. I'm one handed & know how. So while I'd struggle & very well hurt myself I'd still do my darndest to change it before doing what they did.

ETA: I do like Keenah. If I'm going somewhere by myself then I take DH's car & leave him the van & seats.

Evolily

I think if the worst thing they do with their kids in drive one short trip with two children improperly restrained and three children sub optimally restrained they're doing pretty well.

Honestly, though I would hope I wouldn't make that same decision, without having it happen to me with all of the variables that we can't really know I don't know what specific decision I would make. I know I have had children without proper restraints and no vehicle, there are scenarios I have ran through in my head where I could see myself improperly restraining them.

I would definitely talk to her about getting emergency backup seats.

susanx4

She did try to change it herself, but she couldn't get the spare off of under her van, it just wouldn't budge for her.
oh and when she started telling me this i at first thought she only had the booster and the comfortsport! i thought she was going to tell me her 2 yr old was boosterd and her 6 month old was FF and that the 5,7,9 rode with out seats... so i was kinda relieved when she told me how he did put them in....

on a side note while i agree the car that fit the kids used to stay with the kids, i can't drive stick and DH does, i did try to i just don't like it. i was mad when he first bought it cause i couldn't drive his car anymore, BUT it saves so much money on gas, ( 2 hr commute each way)
and my friend is in the same situation with her not being able to drive her DH's truck :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC