And you thought you knew what an expired car seat looked like!!

BeachMama86

Lol. I was yard sale-ing, and saw this monstrosity for sale. I scooped it up immediately for a cool $1. Mostly so no one would actually buy it for use, but also cause it's kinda cool lookin! Lol.

It's actually in really good shape, has the original manual and purchase letter thanking the buyer for buying "the best seat on the market today". Haha.

Manufacture date of March 1986! I was 1 month old at that time.

What do you think?

001-27.jpg

002-30.jpg

003-25.jpg

Also, someone told me that I should check on here for people who collect "antique" car seats? Anyone know how I would go about finding those people? Lol. I don't really want to keep this seat forever, and maybe someone else would be interested in it. Is there a forum for that here?

ADS

miraclebabies

That's awesome.. My cousin had the same seat and he's 22. I would love to play with old carseats. I would b in heaven playing with all classic carseats finds.

KDsmommy

LOL that's great!

I saw an Evenflo Joyride infant seat in a thrift store yesterday. They wanted $4.99 for that sucker! I promptly told the manager that it needed to be removed from the sales floor. I watched him take it and put it in the stockroom, hopefully it doesn't make it's way back to the sales floor. :eek:

MandaPanda

Ah, the brown vinyl. I rode in a similar seat as a kid, but one with an overhead shield. For all I know it could still be gathering dust in my parents basement, lol.

BeckC

I think that's what my mother had for me in 1981. You know, after she decided to actually get me a carseat and stop riding around with me in her arms.

Mugsmom

My DH and I were just discussing this yesterday. He was born in '73 and NEVER used a seat or booster. I was born in '78 and never did either. I can remember my cousin who was born in '82 using a booster with that horrible brown vinyl like your seat, LOL. So when did using carseats really come into practice?

jaded

The federal law about carseats came about in 1981, IIRC. There were seats before then, but they weren't mandated, crash tested, etc.

And that is one of the nicest "old" seats I think I have ever seen! The vinyl doesn't look ripped or anything.

Golfin'Grammy

CPS Technician
My 24 year old son rode in one of those when he outgrew his Rock-n-Ride.
If I remember correctly, USAA provided those to their members at a reduced cost.
Of course, I had a nicely padded and oh so safe light blue terry cloth seat cover on ours (complete with gingham ruffle) because the brown vinyl was so ugly :rolleyes:

mrdhollins

Lol. I was yard sale-ing, and saw this monstrosity for sale. I scooped it up immediately for a cool $1. Mostly so no one would actually buy it for use, but also cause it's kinda cool lookin! Lol.

It's actually in really good shape, has the original manual and purchase letter thanking the buyer for buying "the best seat on the market today". Haha.

Manufacture date of March 1986! I was 1 month old at that time.

What do you think?

001-27.jpg

002-30.jpg

003-25.jpg

Also, someone told me that I should check on here for people who collect "antique" car seats? Anyone know how I would go about finding those people? Lol. I don't really want to keep this seat forever, and maybe someone else would be interested in it. Is there a forum for that here?

Thank you for making me feel old! I used to babysit for kids who had this seat... Century was a leading brand IIRC.

luckyclov

I was born in '78 and I'm pretty sure I never rode in a carseat or booster, either. In fact, I remember at one point when I was around 2 or 3 years old, and my mother wrecked her VW Bug, so, for awhile, when we went places as a "family", it was on my father's motorcycle, with me in the middle of them. I did have a helmet on, though, so it was all good...:eek:

ETA: Has anyone seen the show Raising Hope? There's an episode when the baby is in a similar carseat as above - it's current day - and they swerve in the car, and the carseat goes tumbling across the backseat. The kid (the baby's father) says something like, "I didn't know you were supposed to attach the seat to the car, I thought it just held the kid!". It made me giggle a little, I admit. ;)

Wiggles

That looks a lot like the one I had. I recently found out why I honestly can't figure out which one was mine--My mother thought they were ugly, so the first thing she did was re-cover my carseat!

kalamos23

oh my goodness, that is the exact seat i grew up in! how funny! i was born in 82 just for what it's worth. i remember how hot the vinyl used to get in the summer.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC