In an accident today.

Cindy&Connor

Ds and I went to Walmart this morning with my mom. When we turned out of the parking lot onto the highway traffic was stopped. My mom got stopped in time but she was looking in her rear view mirror saying don't hit me over and over. She knew the guy couldn't stop and he hit us hard. It knocked us into the car in front of us and they went into the car in front of them. So 4 cars total. We didn't go to the hospital but made ds an appt with the pedi. He is completely unharmed except for one spot on his neck where the carseat strap rubbed him. I am so thankful to this board. I have always been very careful to install his carseat correctly but thanks to this board I got my mom to buy a tether anchor for her car and my dh installed it about 3 weeks ago. He was riding in an Evenflo Triumph ffing.

The fire dept came and they were actually very knowledgable and incredibly nice. They made sure I knew to replace the carseat and then they actually brought me a new one to have. It's this one http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1943168 and unfortunately he is almost even with the top slots but it got him home safely. They took his old one and I made sure they were going to destroy it. Does anyone know how insurance will work for replacing my moms seat? I'm hoping they'll tell me to just buy a new one and save the receipt because we don't have the old one to give them.

My mom and I both went to urgent care and they said we're in for a rough weekend. I'm already terribly sore. Oh and the reason traffic was stopped was because someone dropped a sawhorse in the middle of the road.:confused:

ADS

broken4u05

WOW i hope you all feel better and nothing really really bad happened to any of you. They should replace your seat just tell them the officer has the old seat to destroy it

scatterbunny

I'm so glad you are all (relatively) okay! Insurance *should* replace the seat. Sometimes they are picky and say it must be the same seat, others are more lax and you can choose a different one.

southpawboston

My mom and I both went to urgent care and they said we're in for a rough weekend. I'm already terribly sore. Oh and the reason traffic was stopped was because someone dropped a sawhorse in the middle of the road.:confused:

glad to hear everyone is largely okay! i was in the *identical* accident: car #3 in a 4-car pileup. car 4 hit me, i hit car 2, car 2 hit car 1. and yes, you will likely feel worse in the next few hours and tomorrow morning. i was in shock and felt okay for the first few hours, but became nauseated with a head concussion after about 12 hours. strangely, for the day or two afterward, i had something similar to cold symptoms (go figure). brace yourself, i hope it's not as bad for you or your family!

Laurenc0101

Glad to know that you are okay (other than the soreness to come). I hope the insurance company allows you to replace your seat with the seat of your choice!

Lauren:)

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
You will be sore for a few days :( I was rear ended in 2000 (36weeks pg too!). I was pretty sore.

Oh and you may be able to upgrade the seat. I was able to get a RA for the "new baby" (she's almost 7 now ;)). I had her Evenflo Medallion (I think that was it) installed and basically told the insurance company that I wanted something safer for her. They were real good about it :thumbsup:

Cindy&Connor

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sore but nothing I can't handle. I get really stiff when I sit still for awhile. The insurance company was closed yesterday but my mom is going to call Monday to find out what she needs to do about the carseat. I really want to upgrade to a Marathon but I'll take another Triumph if I have to. I just don't know how it will work since the fire dept took my seat. It's not like they can prove what seat I had in the first place.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So glad you're okay! FYI, if you were hit from behind, then the insurance for the guy that hit you should replace your carseat. Try that first before using your own insurance... :)

southpawboston

So glad you're okay! FYI, if you were hit from behind, then the insurance for the guy that hit you should replace your carseat. Try that first before using your own insurance... :)

well the way that most collision policies work is that your insurance pays for all your repairs/replacements/etc, then goes after the insurance company of the party that is at fault and they work it out between them while you just sit back and receive a check.

if you didn't have collision coverage, then you would be personally responsible for going after the at-fault's insurance company for reimbursement. but that's one of the benefits of collision coverage... it doesn't only cover your damage for collisions that *you* are at fault for, it also gets you a check in the mail ASAP when it is somone *elses* fault.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm so glad you are all okay!!

When I was hit last time, my insurance company didn't get involved at all. It was ALL the other driver's insurance. I had *just* taken the carseat out of my car that morning, so it didn't have to get replaced, but every bit of the other damage was paid for by the other person's insurance company.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Ouch, I hope the soreness is minimal. If you want more tips for seat replacement and insurance, there's an article over in the safety articles forum that could be useful for you (I happen to know the writer ;) ): http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9575

Good luck and be sure to post back about how things are going when you have a chance.

Cindy&Connor

Well I just found out that the guy that hit my mom's car has State Farm Insurance. I've heard that they're pretty good about replacing carseats so maybe it won't be a problem. Hopefully they handle it well because they're my insurance company also.

mommy4girls

Senior Community Member
Well I just found out that the guy that hit my mom's car has State Farm Insurance. I've heard that they're pretty good about replacing carseats so maybe it won't be a problem. Hopefully they handle it well because they're my insurance company also.

That's good. You should be able to upgrade to a Britax. My SIL was in numerous crashes with State Farm and upgraded HER Evenflo Medalion to a RA then a RA to another RA ;) (this was in 2000)

trailrunnermom

My mom and I both went to urgent care and they said we're in for a rough weekend. I'm already terribly sore.

Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad that everyone is okay. I found that Aleve worked much better than Advil on my post-accident soreness. (<--For you and your mom -- for your DS I would use whatever the ped. recommends.) There were a few very rough days and then it got better quickly. HTH and that you're feeling better soon!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC