Please Help Me Get on the Plane!

cat mommy

I am traveling on a 1 hour flight for Thanksgiving. I need to get myself, two 12 month olds, 2 Complete Airs, 1 carry on and 1 suitcase on the plane. DH will come with me to the airport, but I don't know if he will be able to get a gate pass, so we cannot count on that. Even if he does get a gate pass, he won't be able to get on the plane. My mom will meet us on the other end and again, I don't know if she can come to the gate. I would really prefer not to check the suitcase, but will if there is no other option. Neither baby can walk reliably but I can carry both in my arms long enough to get through the metal detector. And I could probably carry them both from the gate onto the plane, provided the car seats were already installed.

I have the following available to use:

-Ergo carrier
-backpack for carry on
-side by side double stroller (Combi Twin)--There are strollers available at our destination, so I don't need to take it.

I am willing to buy whatever item it takes to accomplish this trip, provided it is something I can use for future travel too.

Thanks so much :)

ADS

MomToEliEm

When I flew with my two kids alone, it took some planning to get everything to and from the plane. For me, I used a regular foldable luggage cart and secured one seat to the luggage cart with bungy cords and then put my carry-on stuff in that seat. Then, I turned over the other carseat and put it on top of the first seat and secured it with a bungy cord. I had one child in a sling in front and one in a backpack carrier. If you did a similar setup, you could have one hand to push the carseats on the luggage cart and the other to pull your suitcase (assuming it is already on wheels). In your situation, I would be almost tempted to check your suitcase as you probably will have your hands full with your kids.

Try to ask the flight attendants if they can carry your carseats to your airplane seat (not install them though) so they are waiting for you when you board the plane. Try to get help from nearby passengers on the plane to help keep an eye on the kids while you install the carseats.

Here are some documents you may want to print out to keep in your diaper bag. They indicate that as long as you are a family unit, you are allowed to install your seats side-by-side with one by the window and one in the middle seat.

Official FAA guidelines on carseats on planes

New FAA clarification memo on carseats on planes

aeormsby

PP's setup sounds good. Definitely make sure you're only taking what's necessary on the plane - check the suitcase! I'd probably use a luggage cart instead of the stroller and hopefully you'll be able to roll it down the aisle even (I know the Complete air is about the same as the uptown and I've been able to wheel our Uptown right on to the plane on some flights. I'd almost want to try getting 2 luggage carts, put one seat in each and strap the babies in them. We've done that with our Uptown & Marathon. It does need to come apart for security (unless they're willing to wand them) but I've always had some feel sorry enough for me after we get thru security to help get my stuff to the seating area so I could get it put back together.

Otherwise, both seats & backpack/diaper bag strapped to one cart, one baby on your back in the Ergo and carrying the other one might be a good 2nd option. I'd skip the stroller just because it's one more thing to do as you're boarding the plane (getting it all folded, stuff removed, etc).

Just thought of another option - 1 carseat on a luggage cart with 1 baby in it, get a carseat backpack bag for the other seat and put 2nd baby on your front in the ergo. Get a carryon bag that can go over the handle of the luggage cart.

krasota

I would check the suitcase and wear the carry on. Put each seat into a luggage cart (folding kind) and strap one kiddo in each seat. You'll get early/priority boarding. Push one cart in front, pull one behind. (Does the comfort air roll down a plane aisle easily? I know our bought-for-travel Scenera does.)

If one child is fussy, wear the kid and put the carryon into that seat.

leighi123

1 wheely cart, put 1 carseat on it and strap 1 baby into the seat.

1 rolly suitcase and bungee/use the metal ring to attach the second seat. Put your carry on bag on top of that.

Wear baby #2 in the ergo.

You will be pulling the suitcase and the wheely cart w/one kid. I've done this before carrying a big back pack (instead of a second kid), and ds had his bag as well which he carried on his lap in his carseat.

At the gate, tell them you need assistance to get on board and haul all that onto the plane, install the seats and put the suitcase in the overhead with the wheely cart. They will help you, b/c it will be obvious that you will take forever to drag it all onto the plane without help! Just tell them at the desk.

I think this would be easier than checking any baggage, b/c its easier to carry the carseats strapped to something with wheels.

Also, I saw someone at the airport with a complete air somehow bunged to the top of a stroller with a toddler in it, it looked secure (I didnt go poke it or anything though) - I dunno if that would work with a double stroller and 2 kids though.

Jan06twinmom

Just wanted to mention something - I was told that I could not carry two babies through the metal detector when I went through security. My twins were 18 months old at the time and could walk, but weren't will to. So DH had to take one and I had to take one.

I'd definitely try to do everything you can to have your DH walk you to the gate. But if something happens and he is not allowed through security, I would have him help me at the security gate.

Melanie

lanwenyi

LAX and DSM both allowed me to carry both kids at once through security. TSA helped me on both ends, but I had to carry the LOs through the metal detector b/c TSA is not allowed to help with that and I was alone.

On the way back, my sis came through w/ a gate pass to help me until boarding and my IL's met me at the gate on the arrival (they took my name and kids names to the check-in counter and asked for a gate pass to meet me; airline gave it, no problems when they saw the ages of the kids)

When I travelled alone w/ 2 kids, I had a 2yo and a 1.5 mth old. DS was in the sling, DD rode in the stroller. I had a backpack diaper bag on my back. DD's carseat was on the GoGoKidz, w/ DS's bucket upside down on top of it. I hung the handle of the GGK on one of my stroller handles (Mac Quest). I pushed the stroller one-handed and pulled the carry-on (which had DD's airplane backpack on it) with my other hand. I made quite a sight. Plenty of people offered to help me and I took them up on it. Look pathetic but nice and people will help you. :thumbsup:

When boarding the plane (my airline did NOT pre-board families; I asked twice), I made friends with the people in line around me and they helped me on. Two people took the carseats, another took my carry-on and someone else collapsed the stroller (w/ instructions from me). DS was still in the sling and DD walked/was carried by me. People in seats near mine were excited to hold my babies while I installed carseats. Look for people who's eyes light up or are "flirting" w/ your LOs; they'll be ecstatic that you asked them to hold your LOs. This might be harder if your LOs don't like strangers. I have the opposite prob; my kids have never met anyone that they wouldn't go to (they go up to strangers and tell them to pick them up ALL the time)!

Getting off the plane was the reverse. I handed my kids to people around me while I uninstalled the carseats. Then people around me carried the carseats and my carry-ons while I managed the kids. Once in the gate area, lots of people offered to help me get situated before they went on abt their business.

It wasn't as hard as I feared. You'll be fine. Connecting flights are harder. I do anything I can to get non-stops when I fly alone w/ the kids. GL!

swtgi1982

I would check the suitcase and wear the carry on. Put each seat into a luggage cart (folding kind) and strap one kiddo in each seat. You'll get early/priority boarding. Push one cart in front, pull one behind. (Does the comfort air roll down a plane aisle easily? I know our bought-for-travel Scenera does.)

If one child is fussy, wear the kid and put the carryon into that seat.

the complete air is no wider then a scenera at its widest point I own both

swtgi1982

see if you can get your CA to fit in the seat of your stroller, I would take it if they will fit. You can use two bungee cords per seat. put one through FF belt path and around the back of the stroller and another through the RF belt path and under the seat of the stroller and put both kiddos in it. make your suitcase rolling so you can pull it behind you while pushing stroller and hang carry on from stroller handle

vonfirmath

Also, I saw someone at the airport with a complete air somehow bunged to the top of a stroller with a toddler in it, it looked secure (I didnt go poke it or anything though) - I dunno if that would work with a double stroller and 2 kids though.

I've done this bungee cord thing with a Marathon, a Roundabout 50, and a Maestro now. It is secure enough for the environment (walking through the airport). And fairly easy to put together and take apart (though I've never done it with two little ones, or with little ones as young as these) Ie I could put my son in one place and he'd stay there for 30 seconds at a time when I did not have my eye on him.

Eclipsepearl

As a former Flight Attendant, I agree with the others. Check the suitcase. I'll plead another case. When people see you carting that darned thing, they'll wonder why you are, especially with twins. Also, wheeled suitcases are not very popular with Flight Attendants. You'll get more sympathy, and perhaps more help, from the crew if you are NOT dragging unnecessary items on board.

If your airline charges for bags, consider this an expense you'll have to cough up until your children are a bit older. Keep it in perspective that you're flying alone with twins so make life as easy as you can.

Take these ideas people have given you and try them at home first. Put it all together and wheel around the living room, garage or even front sidewalk. Just get an idea of how it will work before the travel day. Remember bungee cords are your friends!

I actually recommend that you come up with more than one way of carrying it all. You might want to purchase something which you can wear one car seat on your back.

Loose your purse. Either put it in your checked bag or take what's necessary and put it in the backpack you'll use as a diaper bag (or backpack-style diaper bag). I then take a very small purse on a string around my neck, or a "bum bag" will work, with the essentials like my cell phone, wallet, etc. A really small one wont even be noticed and it's an exempt "personal item".

Check the suitcase but be careful of any baggage limits. So many times people try to stuff everything in one bag and then get nailed for it being too heavy at check-in. Weigh it and make sure you don't need another checked bag. You have three seats and each baby has the full allowance.

Go on line and order any baby and your personal products you need, diapers, shampoo etc. and have it delivered so you don't have to drag anything more along than necessary. Be sure the bag is mostly filled with clothes. Or, if you have a nice mother like I do, "order" from a relative and let them shop for these things. Anything left over can be used on a future trip or by your hosts (maybe not the baby food jars ;)

One small point; please don't put any luggage carts in the overhead bins. This was not allowed by either of my airlines, especially after one passenger was seriously injured. You know it's there and you'll be careful but the impatient person two rows back wont when he grabs his bag in a hurry and it flies out. Throw your luggage cart on the floor, under the seat in front of you. The last thing you need on this flight is any drama from another passenger!

Try to fly early in the day, when children are in better moods and flights are more likely to be on time.

On-line check-in is great when you're flying with kids. Southwest (WN) does pre-board but only between the A and B groups. Check-in on line within 24 hours (do it exactly 24 hours before) and you'll be in the "A" group. Even if you're not flying WN, find out if your airline does similar. On-line check-in also saves time at the airport.

You might get questioned by the crew on board, used to seeing lap babies. Tell them that you have purchased two seats for them to avoid confusion. Sometimes too, they check if there are standby's trying to get on. Sorry!

My guess is that you do get some help. Remember that once you get past security, that is a closed area with only passengers and employees. No guarantee but it's not a public area like where you check-in. After security especially, if someone offers, take them up on it. Think ahead of time, if someone asks, what will you ask them to do? Thanks, here's my diaper bag! Mind dragging this contraption with the car seats? It's not really that heavy... I didn't allow people to take my children but I did take them up on things like watching them while I collected my checked bags. They've even collected my suitcases off the belt for me (and if you saw what I drag across the Atlantic, that's very generous!)

I'm now the one offering. Since my kids are older, they'll play with smaller children and I'll offer to carry something or drag my son into "service". I think it's easier to say yes to a fellow mom with kids.

My flying tips are in my siggie. Good luck finding a good way to organize your things (without that pesky suitcase!)

I think you're very brave to attempt this. Even thought it's a short flight, it's not really that different. Thanks goodness you don't have to connect or go through customs! I think you'll be glad you did it and it wont be as bad as you think.

Traquy

I am also flying in december, and have flown several times with my DD. She is 3 now and I am not taking her car seat on board, I am gate checking it.

My advise is similar to others. CHECK THE BIG BAG. I always pack mine and DD's clothes etc. in one larger suitcase and check it, SW it's free. Then the ONLY thing I take on board besides her (and previously her car seat) was a Jansport Big Student back pack . This is by far the most awesome backpack for traveling, it fits everything we both need (from when she was 6m til now) in one bag and fits under the seat in front (with a little cramming). I put any purse related items in it and I have a small purse I pack in the checked bag to use once I get there.

Security will be the worst so I really hope they let your DH come that far with you.

mommyx4

The first thought I had was if they still fit in their infant carrier (asssuming you had one for them) I would use them with a double snap and go (again, assuming you had one also).

cat mommy

WE MADE IT! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I strapped one car seat to a cart (that didn't work well due to major wobble--I will use a gogo kidz next time) and DD rode in it. I had a small rolling bag (which they gate checked for me) with DS's seat bungeed to it. I put the diaper bag over the luggage cart and had a tiny purse. DS rode in the ergo. So all was well. :thumbsup:

I packed very light and my mom went shopping for diapers and food so we didn't have to lug those. The kids don't fit in the infant carriers anymore so I had to lug the convertibles. We had no problem with the crew--athough everyone kept asking us if we needed to gate check one of the car seats. :D DS ending up sitting by himself because the plane had only 2 seats on each side. That meant he had to take the window seat due to FAA regs. He did fine! Thankfully, I printed out both the airline police and the FAA regs Katy directed me to so I was ready just in case they gave me a hard time.

I was also able to carry both kids through security--I know you aren't allowed to touch the sides of the metal detector, so I shimmied through sideways and the guy was fine with that. People were very helpful--they let us cut in line at security and the pilot watched DD while I ran down the jetway and handed DS off to my mom.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC