Question rearfacing in a radian XTSL

mumof2

this question is more for curiousity than anything. but for those of you have the radian xtsl and now forward face your child how old were they and what was their weight and height when they had to be turned forward facing due to getting to the height or weigh limit.

this is my daughter who is 3 next month (photo was taken last month)
seat.jpg

she is approx 34lbs and 38" with torso height of 14.5"
I am hoping I get another year of her rearfacing , funnily enough my original goal was 2 years, she was in a cosco and outgrew that at at 2 years 7 months in height and is just on the weight limit of the cosco. I managed to convince my hsuband that we had to get the radian not only cause it has a high rearfacing weigh limit but also cause it harnesses forward facign to 80lbs (which is what attracted me to it in the first place as eventually when I do turn her FF I want her in a 5 point harness for as long as possible.

ADS

chay

My DS who is over 4 (born 06/06) still has a few inches above his head and is only 34lbs so it will be a long time before we hit the 45lbs weight limit. His torso is about 15.5" (50%ile height, 25%ile weight to give you an idea).

skylinphoto

My 4.5 year old can still fit RFing in his Radian for a LONG time. He's 39" and 32 lbs..and has a 15in torso. My small kiddos could easily RF until 5-6 yrs old in the radian seats.

(We turned my ds forward facing at 4 years old even though he could still rf because I had met my goal and felt safe with my decision.)

leighi123

My ds's stats are in my siggy - he has about a foot of space above his head, and his shoulders are around 3" below the lowest setting for the wings. And he is about 25lbs.

So he will be RF for a looooong time coming.

mommy-medic

My DD is 3.75, 37 lbs, and still has quite a bit of growing room in hers. She is still RFing, though (I can't figure out why- struggling with it) I am debating the parental decision to turn her FFing at 4. I probably won't, just because of the "what if" factor (knowing I would NEVER forgive myself if I had the means to keep her RFing and something did happen), but lately I have been really thinking about selling the seat and using our Nauti for her. I know what the safest choice for her is, and will most likely stick with it, but just stop contemplating turning her around- though she does say she prefers riding RFing.

christineka

I let my dd3 turn ffing at age 5 and 33 pounds, but she has gone rfing for vacation as well as when that's what works best in our vehicle. She's approx 45 days till 6 years old, 35 pounds and currently her seat is rear-facing. She can buckle herself entirely, which is a very good skill for her to have.

Cryssy Jane

Odin is 2 years 9 months, 32lbs 15.5 inch torso, not sure on total height but he's all torso. He's still rear facing and will stay that way until he outgrows the radian by height which will be another 2 inches. I'm hoping we make it to 3.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My oldest is FF in her Radian, as she outgrew it by height a few months ago. My 3.5 year old is RF'ing in hers, with tons of room above her head.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 4 1/2 year old outgrew it by weight and got very close to the height limit several months ago. My 2 1/2 year old has oodles to go by weight-- but is inching ever closer to 1" from the top... If it was more reclined she'd be out of it already, luckily I'm able to get it to about 35 degrees right now.

mumof2

thank you for the replies..good to know that older children have no problems rearfacing this carseat.

I may have to turn her when she is 4-4.5 as when I get one for her brother cant really have a radian rearfacing behind the drivers side (husband is 6'3) but will see how we go maybe I will have a new car by then :) but I willl be ok with doing so then

emandbri

Very few children would outgrow a radian rear-facing by height.

Here is a poll I did. This was before we knew what the rear-facing weight limit on the radian would be so this is only if if children would fit BY HEIGHT.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=90670&highlight=radian+rear-facing

100% of kids under the age of 4 would fit.

92% of kids between 4 and 5 would fit

97% of kids between 5 and 6 would fit

and half of kids between 6 and 7 would fit.

When the radian first went to 45 lbs I was curious and tried my son in it rear-facing. At the time he just turned 6 and was 48 lbs and 48 inches and he fit.

DSC02581.JPG

DSC02579.JPG

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Very few children would outgrow a radian rear-facing by height.

Here is a poll I did. This was before we knew what the rear-facing weight limit on the radian would be so this is only if if children would fit BY HEIGHT.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=90670&highlight=radian+rear-facing

100% of kids under the age of 4 would fit.

92% of kids between 4 and 5 would fit

97% of kids between 5 and 6 would fit

and half of kids between 6 and 7 would fit.

When the radian first went to 45 lbs I was curious and tried my son in it rear-facing. At the time he just turned 6 and was 48 lbs and 48 inches and he fit.

My DD was too tall by her 4th birthday, and 35 lbs.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, I think my third is going to outgrow it by height around 3. But she's a very unusual exceptionally long-torsoed child. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC