How do I become a CRST in Canada?

JaRylan

Though I would throw out the first question!

I am interested in becoming a certified Children's Restraint System Technician. I live in Saskatchewan. Does anyone know how much the course is and how long it takes? Does anyone have a contact number?

Thanks,

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm thinking that St. John's Ambulance runs the training program in Sask. like it does in BC and Ontario? I would give them a ring and see if they're offering the training and when. It's difficult enough to get certified here in BC, so you should expect a wait until there's enough interest for the course. When I first did it about 3.5 years ago, I had to pay $500 for the training. I know that subsequently, advocates taking the course have had their tuition waived under the condition that they would be somehow serving the community with their training. When I first did my training, my husband was on paternity leave and we were starting a business. Five hundred dollars was actually almost 100% of our income for the month! But.. it was worth every penny.

-Nicole.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would start with a SJA branch near you. SJA runs the national training program in Canada now and trains all techs. Most of these techs are those working in the health/medical, law enforcement, firefighting, etc. as part of their jobs, so they often have priority over lay-people like us.

I was fortunate to be at the right place at the right time and trained with SJA Mississauga when it was the pilot program opened up to lay-people. The deal with us to have the cost waived is to take the training course and volunteer for certain hours to do certain amount of clinics per year. Certification is for 3 yr and re-cert is now available through SJA too.

If your local SJA branch does not have a CRS program, perhaps it can direct you to somewhere else that can help. Not all SJA branches have the resource/instructors to do training.

JaRylan

I emailed SJA - Sask branch and was told that they do not provide the course. I wonder if I took the course in another province if it would be valid in Saskatchewan?

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Our MPI (provincal insurance co.) told me they offer the St.John's course and they will pay the fee for me to take the course!

Hey Jacqui, maybe you should come out for the weekend and take the course with me! I am only 5.5hrs away!

JaRylan

Our MPI (provincal insurance co.) told me they offer the St.John's course and they will pay the fee for me to take the course!

Hey Jacqui, maybe you should come out for the weekend and take the course with me! I am only 5.5hrs away!

That was what I was thinking. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC