Graco or Peg Perego Infant Car Seat???

krace

Hi there everyone,

A friend of mine has gotten her two strollers that she likes in preparation for her baby, but is not sure which car seat to get as a result. She originally had decided to go with a Chicco; however, the strollers she is going with are the City Mini and the Phil and Teds Explorer. Considering that the only 2 car seats that Phil and Teds have adapters for are Graco and Peg Perego, which car seat would you recommend? Their vehicles are a Nissan Murano and a Mazda 6, and their baby is due in March. We have heard that the Peg's are not as safe as they look, but my friend is uncertain of the Graco's (they just don't look as good or safe as the Peg's). What do you, the experts, think?

Thanks!:)

ADS

amyd

Graco seat hands down. Pegs are heavy, overpriced, and difficult to install in many vehicles, especially if she'd like to install in the center (which many first time parents do). The Graco Snugride 32 & 35 install very easily with the seatbelt due to the built in lock off in the base. As far as safety, all seats sold in Canada meet the same stringent standards set by Transport Canada. Crash test results are not public so we can't compare safety between seats. Price is not a good determiner of safety.

Angela

I agree with the previous opinions. I would probably go for the Snugride 32 or 35 over the 22 (basic one). They are a little bigger so it can be used longer and the bases are a breeze to install (the 22 doesn't have lock-offs).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I just wanted to add my consensus. Pegs are almost always a very difficult install (and in some cases really quite incompatible.) They also don't allow the handle up, which I consider a safety benefit as well as a convenience feature (Pegs MUST have the handle at the top of the shell; Gracos allow the handle all the way up, in the carry position, or down behind the shell, with one or two disallowed positions depending on model; allowed positions differ between models so check the manual.)

canadiangie

Hi there everyone,

A friend of mine has gotten her two strollers that she likes in preparation for her baby, but is not sure which car seat to get as a result. She originally had decided to go with a Chicco; however, the strollers she is going with are the City Mini and the Phil and Teds Explorer. Considering that the only 2 car seats that Phil and Teds have adapters for are Graco and Peg Perego, which car seat would you recommend? Their vehicles are a Nissan Murano and a Mazda 6, and their baby is due in March. We have heard that the Peg's are not as safe as they look, but my friend is uncertain of the Graco's (they just don't look as good or safe as the Peg's). What do you, the experts, think?

Thanks!:)

They are not safER because of the headwings. A common misconception about the Peg is that is must be safer because of the cost and the fact that Peg has opted to use heaving doses of SIP labelling/marketing. The cost is second from most expensive in Canada which makes parents assume it must be "better". Aside from all of that, when you pull back the fabric on the headwings you will find plastic. It isn't until you look behind the headwings, pulling back the fabric that lines the shell that you find a small offering of EPS (side impact) foam. There really isn't anything enhanced about the Peg seat, other than the pricepoint. Then when you take into consideration the potential install headaches, the fact that the handle must be lowered at all times when in the vehicle, the weight of the seat (second heaviest on the market), and the fact that use is limited to 22lbs in Canada, it really doesn't make any sense to choose it over something like a Graco Snugride 32 or 35 which are easy to use, lighterweight, cost friendly, and tend to install like butter. Not to mention she would get through her first winter with any of the larger Graco seats, whereas with the Peg she would probably be losing the bucket right around... November-ish (when baby is around 9mos).

canmom

Graco hands down. Like many others have already said, Pegs are heavy and very often difficult to install. Truth be told, the Peg lacks many features that other seats do offer at a much lower price point.

Parents often perceive the Peg to be better due to the headwings (and the very well thought out location of the SIP tag) as well thinking that if it costs more, clearly it's better. I for one am bothered by the fact that Peg puts hard plastic (the head wings) lined with a bit of foam (the type you would stuff furniture with) between the babies head and the eps foam on the shell. EPS foam is energy absorbing material... which is why it is also used in helmets etc. The other thing that bugs me is the handle, not only is it required to be down in the vehicle (the less I need to do the better these days ;)) but it has to be the biggest PITA handle to deal with out of any seat on the market. Honestly, install the seat in the vehicle and try rotating handle... not smooth or easy at all.

All in all, when I look at a peg I just honestly see no value for the amount being paid, there are cheaper seats on the market that are light years ahead of Peg in terms of features and usability. It just doesn’t make sense to buy a Peg.

mam521

Go for the Graco! My friend and I were comparing our seats...she has the Peg, I have the Chaperone which in itself isn't a super light seat as it is and her Peg weighs a ton! Its also a PITA...$300 seat and it doesn't even have a built in lock off!

Someone else was mentioning the SIP - I know the SIP is for keeping the head in a righted position in the event of a crash, but I have my doubts regarding its effectiveness for a newborn anyway. My friend's daugther is an average size 4.5mo old with a larger than average head and the wings sit quite far from the baby's head...they don't prevent the baby from flopping side to side if she falls asleep. I would imagine the headwing would need to be a touch closer to actually prevent the baby's head from moving in an accident, qualifying it as a "better" SIP seat.

TC dictates minimum standards that all seats in Canada must meet, therefore they are all considered safe. It becomes more about the features and preference when you start comparing them :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh also? There have been level indicator issues on many Pegs I've seen. Add in the headwings that push babies' heads forward, and I've seen many a frankly dangerous angle for a newborn with the Peg seats.

amyd

Oh also? There have been level indicator issues on many Pegs I've seen. Add in the headwings that push babies' heads forward, and I've seen many a frankly dangerous angle for a newborn with the Peg seats.

I meant to mention this as well. Almost every Peg I've checked has been too upright when installed as per the angle indicator.

sparkyd

Just in case anyone might still think a Peg is a good idea after all that (!), the dang things are only good for 5 years. :thumbsdown: All the other infant seats are good for at least 6 years. That extra year makes a difference for a lot of people that might choose to have 3 kids within a couple of years of each other.

Chila88

Not a tech, just a mom who used a PVSIP for 2 kids. I liked it...not loved, but liked. With latch it installed very very easily in my Sienna. However, it's fairly upright, which is annoying. The handle having to go down while in the car is really REALLY annoying. And now if we have a 3rd kid, it will be expired before then. :thumbsdown: Plus, both of my gigantor babies outgrew it by length by 6mos which was too soon for me. So I am about to sell it, and if we have a 3rd baby I will get a Graco SR35 or SS1 for that 32" height limit.

So from someone who used the Peg daily for 2 kids, and didn't hate it..... I still say go with the Graco. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC