Can we say incompatible....

NannyMom

Mercedes, small SUV and Jeep Cherokee. The Britax BV70 would not install in the center. :( The seatbelts were too thick for the lockoffs to close :confused: And I couldn't even get it installed locking the retractor :confused: Give it a little push, and it was halfway on it's side :eek: And this was not a "try to rock the car" push, it was a "using your weakest hand tug at the beltpath" push. Gma has a BV65, so we're going to try that. If not, they will choose outboard, or a new seat.

ADS

Pixels

Did you see the video (I think it was on the blog) about how and where exactly to push on the lockoff to get it to close?

NannyMom

Did you see the video (I think it was on the blog) about how and where exactly to push on the lockoff to get it to close?

I did watch the video, but I'll go watch it again. I've installed the MA70 in my van and didn't have such trouble.

They decided not to even try the BV65 center, they'd rather have the BV70 outboard with LATCH.

ETA: Is it the video where Kecia installs the MA70 with 1 hand? I just watched that again. It doesn't show how to push, just says the make sure the seatbelt is loose, and it was.

Mae

Did you tighten the seat belt before, or after closing the lock offs?

Britax recommends threading the seat belt, closing the lock off, THEN pulling out the slack. That could solve your problem. IME, with my TF, it's a BEAST to get the lock offs shut because they (the seat belts) "bunch" up and fold over, so it's nearly impossible. Is that the problem you are having?

ETA: Britax's video. Click on the 7th tab.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=36066786

Last edited:

NannyMom

Did you tighten the seat belt before, or after closing the lock offs?

Britax recommends threading the seat belt, closing the lock off, THEN pulling out the slack. That could solve your problem. IME, with my TF, it's a BEAST to get the lock offs shut because they "bunch" up and fold over, so it's nearly impossible. Is that the problem you are having?

ETA: Britax's video. Click on the 7th tab.

http://webapps.easy2.com/cm2/flash/generic_index.asp?page_id=36066786

Uh.... ok, I'm a complete Moron. That's all. :eek:

Pixels

ETA: Is it the video where Kecia installs the MA70 with 1 hand? I just watched that again. It doesn't show how to push, just says the make sure the seatbelt is loose, and it was.

No, Kecia and Darren were specifically looking just at how to close the lockoffs. This one.

NannyMom

LOL! Why's that?

Because I made a mistake. Stupid me, thought I knew how to install the seat. Because I HAVE installed the seat. Several times in my van. And...um.... I forgot there are 2 pieces of the lockoff to open :eek:

If I could delete this thread, I would. But I can't.

Reactions: Mae

Mae

:ROTFLMAO:

Hey-- at least you had the guts to admit your error. :bow:

I would have been all, "Oh, I just tried it again, it works now! :whistle: :eek:"

NannyMom

:ROTFLMAO:

Hey-- at least you had the guts to admit your error. :bow:

I would have been all, "Oh, I just tried it again, it works now! :whistle: :eek:"

Well, I am extremely embarrassed. And I can't try it again, they aren't here now. They installed it outboard with LATCH. I have a feeling it still wouldn't work in the Mercedes though, because of the 60/40 split.

jsmom

Were waiting for a BV70 for DD to use in my SILs BMW center seat. I guess ill be watching those videos, I forgot the lock offs are different now.

NannyMom

Were waiting for a BV70 for DD to use in my SILs BMW center seat. I guess ill be watching those videos, I forgot the lock offs are different now.

If you read the instructions, you should be good. You should always read the instructions. I didn't, because it wasn't a new install for me, I'd installed it before. But, I made a stupid mistake. Lesson: Always read instructions. Always.

jjordan

Heehee... I recently read on another forum where an extremely well-regarded CPST (whom shall remain nameless unless she sees this thread and outs herself) did the exact same thing as you - didn't open up both parts of the lockoff and wondered why it was so difficult. So chin up! :)

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
This is not uncommon. I've seen one at an inspection that was routed in between. I think if you are used to the old style and don't check the manual, it's easy to just pop the top one open, tighten the belt and then find it won't close at all. With both open and no tension or very little tension, it should be relatively easy to close if you don't push at the tab on the very bottom of the lockoff. It's still counter-intuitive to pull slack through the closed lockoff, but it isn't so bad once you get used to it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also, I will say that the original instructions weren't super clear on first read through. The last course I taught there were 2 new techs who weren't familiar with the old style of Britax seats or any lock-off, so they followed the manual step by step and still missed opening the 2nd piece. I read it twice before getting the wording when I realized there was no way the lock-off could possibly close that way over the webbing and it just didn't make sense to me.

There's a leaflet in the new seats with a better picture and clearer instructions on use of the lock-off.

IMO, the design is counter-intuitive and not user friendly at first glance. All the other lock-offs I've seen are obvious when they're 2 pieces. Once you know these are 2 pieces it's easy to tell, but the spot where you reach in to open the 2nd piece isn't really that big, so it's easy to miss.

So I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Call it a learning experience, and apply the lesson for future reference. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I'm sure that there will be multiple lurkers who read this thread and all the sudden realize what their problem is, so others will learn from you sharing your mistake and that's something to feel good about. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC