FF for holiday lights?

Pixels

Would you ever turn your child FFing to look at holiday lights? How old would they need to be for you to do so?

I know it's a bit early for this thread, but around here people decorate their houses for Halloween like they do for Christmas - lights and all. I'm trying to decide if I want to turn DD for a drive through the neighborhood to see lights. I know she can see some things from her RFing seats (like semis and big trucks), but I don't think she can see houses. All of her RFing seats are low profile. Probably the two highest RFing seats that we have are the TrueFit and the ComfortSport. FFing, the CS and the Avenue have the stand that will boost her up a bit. The deep sides of the TF would probably keep her from seeing much. The Radian is just too low FFing.

If I turned her FFing to look at lights, it would be in the Avenue, center seat, tetherd. DD is 2.5yo, 27ish pounds. I'm pretty sure she's over the 34 inch minimum to FF in that seat, but I'd double check.

ADS

leighi123

I wouldnt. We see the lights every year and ds can see them just fine RF. He can see some that I even miss! RF doesnt mean they can see less...

He went in a Titan, and a Truefit, and this year some neighbors have halloween lights up and he can see those just fine in the radian, even with headwings!

mrswh

I took my kids to see lights RFing several times. Maybe they couldn't see everything, but they didn't know what they were missing, so they were perfectly happy with what they did see and they still enjoyed it. :)

I wouldn't turn my kid around just to see lights, not because I'd worry THAT much about safety on a ride around the neighborhood but because I'd be afraid that once she got a taste of FFing I might never hear the end of it! If she is happy RFing, I'd leave well enough alone. :twocents:

P.S. You could also bundle her up in her stroller with some hot chocolate for a stroll around the neighborhood - that could be fun too and then she could see everything.

skylinphoto

When my ds was a little over 2, we went driving around to see xmas lights with my grandparents. They complained the whole time that ds couldnt see the lights and we were mean to leave him RFing. Guest what? Ds was asleep. He didnt care about any xmas lights. lol.

I wouldnt turn my kids around to see lights. Instead, I'd find a nice neighborhood with sidewalks (no sidewalks around my place-we're in the country) and stick 'em in the stroller with some candy canes and walk around to see the lights. :)

luvsviola

I wouldn't turn my kid around just to see lights, not because I'd worry THAT much about safety on a ride around the neighborhood but because I'd be afraid that once she got a taste of FFing I might never hear the end of it! If she is happy RFing, I'd leave well enough alone. :twocents:

I wouldn't either! It would definitely introduce the opportunity that the kiddos "could" go FFing, which I don't want them to even think about or I'll hear about it every trip til DD is permanently FFing (which for us is next spring...)

pepsicola

I'm undecided about this. I guess when Christmas time comes and if I think she's missing out, then I probably will turn her just for that. But my daughter is 2. I wouldn't do that for a 1 year old. Babies that young don't know what they're missing anyways ;).

christineka

My kids are in low seats, so they wouldn't be able to see out the windows very well if they were ffing. In fact, when I turned dd3 rfing again after ffing for a year, the first thing out of her mouth was, "I can see!". Kids can see while rfing, but they see things later after the ffing people see them. My poor ds2 can't see beyond his car seat, no matter which way it faces, so he finds other ways to entertain himself.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
At 2.5 years old, I'd have no problem doing it as long as I was confident I could get her RF again without her throwing a fit every time.

My DD will be 20 months at Christmas, and I'll leave her RF to look at lights, in part because I think she can see pretty well anyway, and in part because I don't think she'd really "get" it that much anyway. I mean, she'll be thrilled to see any lights and won't miss the fact that maybe she can't see ALL of them. But if she were a bit older and would actually care? I probably would.

sunnymw

In our car, I think they can see more RF. In MIL's car I'd turn them FF to see lights because of how her vehicle is set up. ETA: this is for MY kids. No way would I turn an under 18mo FF for that :)

Pixels

I didn't even consider turning her last year at 18 months. She just didn't get it. This year, she's already very :eek: at the in-store displays. I think she would really enjoy it this year.

I know she can't see other cars, so she wouldn't be able to see lawn decorations or most of the lights on the first floor level. She might be able to see gutter lights. We definitely will do the stroller thing as well.

monstah

Would you ever turn your child FFing to look at holiday lights?
DD is 2.5yo, 27ish pounds.

I would turn DD1 FF on long trips by this age so I probably would provided removing and installing the seats was something I was 100% familiar and confident with. Sure.

aeormsby

I'd do it for a 2+yo. I almost turned DS FF when we were driving thru Custer State Park a few weeks ago because he couldn't see the buffalo & other animals that were right on the side of the road, or especially if they were down a hill from the road. I didn't because I didn't feel like switching a carseat just for a half hour drive when we were on vacation. We just stopped a few times and got out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC