Britax Marathon vs Frontier 85

sunstarz80

Hi everyone. I thought I was done car seat shopping but after a car accident this week I'm now out shopping again. My DD (6 weeks shy of 4) 38 lbs and FF. I had her in a Marathon with no problems and had every intention of buying another one after the accident. However, after looking at some seats I saw the Frontier 85. Does anyone have any experience with it? I like that it will convert into a booster down the road (although I have no intention of putting DD in a booster anywhere in the near future).

I know a couple years ago when I was researching car seats some of them required an adjustable head rest in the vehicle (which I don't have). Is Frontier one of them?

TIA for any help you can give me!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We adore our Frontier, my kids have all fit well in it from age 2 to 12 (harnessed to about 7 or 8, booster beyond that). It's very comfy, easy to adjust (smoother harness adjuster than the Marathon, even), easy to climb into, etc. Only Dorel (Cosco/Eddie Bauer/Maxi Cosi) seats have the rule about having a headrest or tall seatback in the car directly behind the child's head, Britax seats don't have that rule (and the Frontier seems to have a sturdier headrest than my van, lol).
Another choice would be the Graco Nautilus. It's also well-loved by many. If no one else responds to you too soon, try just hunting and scrolling around here, there are literally hundreds of posts about these seats, including loads of pictures and installation tips.

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Plus, Amazon has a nice deal on the Frontier right now- $224 incl free ship and free returns.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Frontier-Combination-Booster-Rushmore/dp/B0038W0JI0/"]Amazon.com: Britax Frontier 85 Combination Booster Car Seat, Rushmore: Baby: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

The Nautilus is only $150

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Nautilus-Car-Seat-Matrix/dp/B0011URFRE/"]Amazon.com: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Car Seat, Matrix: Baby: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

sunstarz80

Thanks for the responses. I did see the awesome deal on Amazon with the Frontier (which is actually how I found the Frontier to begin with). I will do some research on this site and see what I can find out on the seats you mentioned.

Kristi

babyherder

I'd go with a Frontier over a marathon. The Frontier will last your dd years longer. I've never used either seat (just drooled over them in stores) but if I was buying a new seat I would want one that can be used for as long as possible.

aeormsby

I would definitely go with a frontier over a convertible for an almost 4yo. It will last much longer. My DD is almost 5 and has about an inch of growing room in her Marathon, and more like 3 inches in the Frontier and then we'll get years of use as a booster also.

mrswh

I'll jump on the Frontier 85 bandwagon too! I L-O-V-E the Frontier. A few months ago, we had 4 Marathons. I bought a Frontier for my DD to use in my car because she is in first grade and wanted a "big kid" seat. I figured this was more "big kid" because she is lower down on the seat, but she is still harnessed so I am happy too.

Well, I love it so much that I bought 3 more so that now she and DS (4) have them in both my car and DH's car. I was so sick of the Marathon ratcheting harness - drove me insane. I felt like I was constantly wrangling with the thing and could never really get it tight enough. I was pulling so hard the strap was fraying - not cool. Changing the harness height was a pain in the rear end - so easy on the Frontier! No rethreading! :thumbsup: It's easier for the kids to climb in and out of the Frontier, and I love the cupholders. Plus the crotch strap has three positions which is fantastic.

The Frontier does weigh a pound or two more than the Marathon but it is so much easier to carry (for me anyway). It's less bulky and awkward.

With the 9-year expiration and convert to booster, you really can't beat it.

jujumum

I would recommend a Frontier 85 or Nautilus. We have both, and have had many Marathons (and cousins) and for FF, the FN & GN make much more sense for a nearly 4 year old. They are also easier for the child to climb in and out of, have cup holders, and look like big kid boosters.

Lovely girly choices in the GN include the Dori and the Walmart exclusive Daisy.

The only girly cover in the FN 85 is Pink Sky which is part mesh (yuck), but the fabulous cowmoo is just coming out.:love:

It's hard to pick a fav between the GN & FN85. Use and install on each is fine. I do love the solid 'blow-mold' type construction of the FN85 (including thick side walls), but also love the steel bars at the back of the GN. :)

essnce629

Another vote for the Frontier 85. We love ours and I definately wouldn't buy a convertible for a ff'ing 4 year old.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC