News Hyland’s Teething Tablets Recall

rochelle

Hyland’s Teething Tablets Recall

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today is warning consumers that Hyland’s Teething Tablets may pose a risk to children. The FDA recommends that consumers not use this product and dispose of any in their possession. The manufacturer is issuing a recall of this product.

Hyland's Teething Tablets are manufactured to contain a small amount of belladonna, a substance that can cause serious harm at larger doses. For such a product, it is important that the amount of belladonna be carefully controlled. FDA laboratory analysis, however, has found that Hyland’s Teething Tablets contain inconsistent amounts of belladonna. In addition, the FDA has received reports of serious adverse events in children taking this product that are consistent with belladonna toxicity. The FDA has also received reports of children who consumed more tablets than recommended, because the containers do not have child resistant caps."
(http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm230761.htm)

other link http://www.startribune.com/business/105614783.html

ADS

Cryssy Jane

Re: Hyland’s Teething Tablets Recall

Oh crud... My daycare teethers use these since I prefer not to have Tylenol or motrin around.

mykidsmylife

Seth has eaten 1 bottle once and then half a bottle another time.
River ate half a bottle.
Neither one of the kids had any kind of a reaction to it. I will continue to use them.

And now they are hidden where they can't find them.

Cryssy Jane

Mine are all locked in a medicine box, on a shelf over 6 feet high. I have to step on something or really stretch to get to them. Hmmm. I'll relay to parents though.

xursusmaritimusx

Seth has eaten 1 bottle once and then half a bottle another time.
River ate half a bottle.
Neither one of the kids had any kind of a reaction to it. I will continue to use them.

And now they are hidden where they can't find them.

same, DD accidentally got into them because i left them in the diaper bag.
i panicked then read online that she'd basically have to consume way more than what was in the bottle to ever cause a problem.

anyway.... its a bummer that they are recalling them.
they really were the ONLY remedy that worked for DD when she was teething and i've recommended them many times to other moms.

if they are still around when i ever might need them again i'll still use them

jasminegrl

honestly i'm going to go tomorrow and get another bottle before they take them off the shelves, they are the only thing that works for DD's teething, and until I find something else that works just as well. She's too little to get into the bottle herself so i'm not to worried about her overdosing on them
**edit i also just wanted to add that just about every other teething tablet brand also contains belladonna in it. If they are going to do a recall they really shouldn't focus on just one brand.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

I tried reading the info at Hyland's last night but the page wasn't working.

I remember a couple years back a woman on BBC had a daughter who OD'd on belladona from a normal dose of these. The problem was (and sounds like it still is) that some tablets could contain higher doses than others. I'd imagine some better quality control could take care of the issue.

fyrfightermomma

Seriously? Is there anything else that I own that would like to be recalled? Mine as well let my kid gnaw on window sills and play with Aspirin bottles because it seems like everything "baby safe" I've given him is dangerous, toxic, or deadly. This is just getting ridiculous

Since he's been born this is the recalls we've had:
highchair
car seat
teething tablets
carrier
crib(twice)
misc fisher price toys
gym
swing
portable swing

Is there anything left?

And nice that this is the only thing that works on him

It's SO frustrating!

3acorns4Christy

Great just great. Sophia is a slow teether, her molars have been on their way in for 5 months. Just started bothering her and I just started giving these to her this week, darn. They are the only thing that works for her. darn it.
We seemed to have everything recalled as well.

skylinphoto

Belladonna (also known as deadly night shade) is perfectly fine in very small doses. I remember reading this same statement a few years ago. Belladonna is what makes these teething tablets work! It's used for many things in medicine including reducing inflammation.

It IS most certainly poison. Many things are poisonous but have benefits when used in very small amounts.

I suggest everyone research more about this to see if you personally are okay using this 'medicine'. It will make some people rethink using it. And I'm sure others will be fine with it. I am personally fine with it.

Treat it like any other drug/poison and keep it out of kids reach and only use the recommended dose provided from the manufacturer.

Done with my rant!

BrookeSLP

Because Hyland's has inconsistent levels of Belladonna in the tablets, I will not be using it anymore. Without that consistency, you have not idea just how much your baby/toddler is getting. Just threw mine in the trash.

natysr

Because Hyland's has inconsistent levels of Belladonna in the tablets, I will not be using it anymore. Without that consistency, you have not idea just how much your baby/toddler is getting. Just threw mine in the trash.

If you think they are dangerous enough to warrent throwing them away, then I think you may want to dig them out of the trash and have them disposed of properly/safely. Take them to your local pharmacy and give the bottle to them.

Anne

DD has also gotten into the teething tabs before. She didn't get a whole lot, I'd say 10-12 tabs. But she was fine. So I'm reluctant to just throw them all out. They are the only thing that helps when she's teething. She's still working on her 2 year molars. They've tried to come in 3 times. I don't want to be left hanging without something when they try again. But neither do I want to give her something potentially dangerous. If it's inconsistancy that's the problem, she may have been fine with the dozen tabs because they had low amounts. But what if one tab in our bottle has way more than it should? Now I'm undecided. Grrr. I really wish we could just trust these companies that say they know what they're doing.

Shanora

honestly anything herbal has the risk to be deadly when used wrong, its not different than Car Seats.

I have no problems using them. I put MORE trust in a company that has been around for 85 years than the FDA/CPSC, as they tend to over react!!

rachelandtyke

Glad we use Humphrey's due to the lactose anyway. Hopefully they have better QC and won't be recalled next!

Cryssy Jane

Please keep in mind that even if a child ate an entire bottle of homeopathic medicine, the minute amount of active ingredients renders an overdose unlikely. Nonetheless, we understand that parents are rightfully cautious about their own child so feel free to call us anytime if you are concerned.
To put homeopathic dosages in perspective, typically a 10-pound child would need to ingest 1,000 Hyland’s Teething Tablets (at least 6 bottles of 125 tablets) to exhibit even the first possible side effect of Belladonna.
from the above website. I've contacted all my daycare parents and all have said they would still choose this over tylenol or motrin.

luckyclov

I think people get the impression that because they're "natural", it doesn't matter if a child ingests more than the recommended dosage...or that every ingredient does not have the (rare, but possible) potential to cause an adverse reaction. I don't fault Hyland's for that, I fault the parent. That said, we're still using ours.

nevaehsmommy

Nevaeh ate nearly a whole bottle once. I was in the front seat and the diaper bag was sitting next to her. The bottles do not have a child resistant top and she was happy as a clam eating the pills from the bottle. She is still alive and kicking.

And I agree that these work MUCH better then Tylenol or Motrin ever did

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC