Turned DD 4 FF and now we're having car sickness. Help!

jrmo

DD has never had issues with car sickness before. I turned her FF in July, and ever since, on long trips, she vomits. She's 44 lbs, so flipping her back is not an option, and DH won't let me import a seat, saying she's going to have to learn to work through it eventually. And he's right. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening now, and what we can do to help? FWIW, she is FF center rear of a 2007 CRV, in an XTSL. TIA!

ADS

pepsicola

Does she spend a lot of time playing with toys or watching videos instead of looking out the windows? If so, that could be the problem. I know when I'm in the car, I have to be looking ahead at where we're going or I start to feel sick.

myliljunebugs

she needs to look out the front window, preferably at something that is pretty far off (telephone poles and fences are bad bad bad, constant whizzing by), also make sure she is getting plenty of air movement. If she starts to feel sick encourage her to look at the sky and take big deep breaths. I've dealt with horrific motion sickness my whole life (anytime in the car longer than 15 minutes resulted in me getting sick, and we lived way out in the country ;) ) and this really does help. Also, for longer trips you may want to get some medicine for her to help, or maybe one of those pressure bracelets. I've never tried one but I've heard they do work....

Mugsmom

I'm one of those that never outgrew it. Yes, it helps to look through the front windshield, not out the side windows, not down. It helps if she can look where the driver would look, kind of toward the horizon, instead of right at the fast-moving road in front of the car. No reading either. I even have a hard time being in the passenger seat sometimes! For any longer trips, unless I'm driving, I have to use Dramamine.

tjham

My granddaughter had car sickness a lot at that age. We gave her gingerale before any long trip and it really helped!

mrs_teeee67

Carbs helped my lil' one when she had carsickness. A cookie or couple saltines did WONDERS for her. We'd have them right before or right after starting the trip. If longer trips are your girlies trouble, I'd probably time it for her to have another after a half hour or something....*time depending on timing of her sickness if it's pretty consistent*

CrabbyBunchX3

Same thing happened with my youngest DD when I turned her FF. Any trips longer than 1hr and she will get sick.

We found this out when we took a long trip the the beach:sick:
For the return trip, I bought sea bands and they worked wonderfully!! She did not get sick at all on the way home.

You might also try gingerale or preggie pops

christineka

My oldest dd became sick once she went forward facing. (Way back in the dark ages.) We finally have got it figured out now that she's 10 years old. For long trips she needs to sit in the center seat, pushed all the way forward. No reading, playing, crocheting or anything. She can watch the road and sing.

babyherder

I often feel nauseous and get headaches while riding in the car. Things that make it worse are reading, traffic (starting and stopping often, often while smelling car fumes does me in), and traveling on an empty stomach.

Things that help are driving (not an option for your children) and eating. Travel after eating and have snacks for in the car. Its kind of weird but whenever I start to feel nauseous I grab some pretzels, goldfish or a bagel and start eating. Sometimes I stop when I'm full. Sometimes I need to keep nibbling until we get there even if I get stuffed. But either way I'm not throwing up!

emtb79

i would love to know this answer too. Seeing as i cant do anything but drive so Im going to try everything for me.

Dorothy

I have terrible motion sickness, too. I feel for your LO! I second trying all the above suggestions but would also like to add potassium-rich foods like bananas, raisins, etc. So, my answer is trail mix (healthy kind, not candy-laden) with ginger ale. That, plus a horizon view really helps. When I get woozy, I direct cool air towards my head. If I know its a really difficult, windy road, I break out the wrist bands. Dramamine works well but can make me drowsy/foggy. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC