Radian Decisions

flick37

I have wanted to try a Radian that RF to 45lbs for awhile, but there are none available anywhere near me for me to see if I can get an install in my car.

That was, until Sears started carrying them! I can order one in, try it out and send it back if it doesn't work out.

The problem is, I don't like the Eclipse cover that it comes in (also available in Flora, but don't want a girly pattern).

So, then I see that Dear-Born baby has them on sale for less than sears, and free shipping, but if I need to return it, then I have to pay their fees for shipping it to me, then the return shipping costs.

The sale at DBB ends Nov 7, but the seat at sears is on back order until Nov 20, so can't order from sears to try it, return it and still get the seat from DDB.

So, am considering biting the bullet and ordering from DBB. I have a lot of questions...

1. My DD is about to turn 4 and has been FF for just over a year, since she hit 35lbs. She is about 41" tall and 40lbs. I was planning on using the seat for her RF again. Would you turn your 4y/o back to RF after FF for a year?

2. Both my kids are on the taller side (DS is a year and would be getting most use out of the RF seat). Do you think they would outgrow this seat by height before weight? If they outgrow by height first, then I would consider a RF seat to 40lbs and buy something later on down the road for after DS outgrows our MA.

3. Would you get a Premiere or go the extra for an XT? The reason I ask this, is I like the Metro cover of the Premiere, as it would match the gray interior of our car, but if the XT side wings are worth it, then I would go with the Bentley.

4. I own a 2009 Toyota Highlander...any experience with installing a radian RF in this car? Installing carseats is NOT the easiest thing for me, and I don't really have access to a tech here, so have to do it myself, with help from DH who, honestly, would not be thrilled with me buying a new seat...oh well, too bad!;)

5. This is totally unrelated to the Radian, but I also like the new Britax MA 65, but right or wrong, I was spooked by the issues of some MA FF in the TC tests last year...am I over-reacting to that? Would you buy a new MA and use it FF with confidence??

6. Are there any rumours to any new high weight seats on the horizon?

Thanks!!! :)

ADS

LittlePeanut

I strongly recommend buying the seat from SnuggleBugz (this forum's sponsor) or Junior Baby (who is including a free Radian travel bag). Dearborn has horrible customer service :thumbsdown:

1. My DD is about to turn 4 and has been FF for just over a year, since she hit 35lbs. She is about 41" tall and 40lbs. I was planning on using the seat for her RF again. Would you turn your 4y/o back to RF after FF for a year?
I would but I would be willing to have my DC FF if they showed a strong dislike for ERF at this age too.

2. Both my kids are on the taller side (DS is a year and would be getting most use out of the RF seat). Do you think they would outgrow this seat by height before weight? If they outgrow by height first, then I would consider a RF seat to 40lbs and buy something later on down the road for after DS outgrows our MA.
On the RN, they will outgrow the RF limits by weight and most Canadian kids out the FF harness by height.

3. Would you get a Premiere or go the extra for an XT? The reason I ask this, is I like the Metro cover of the Premiere, as it would match the gray interior of our car, but if the XT side wings are worth it, then I would go with the Bentley.
I have a love hate relationship with the wings... I like that they provide some extra SIP and act as nice pillows for car sleepers but I really dislike the way they get in the way of the harness which rubs against the foam at certain heights. I'd still opt for the XT even though the wings can be a PIA. Fabric options do make the decision tougher though.

4. I own a 2009 Toyota Highlander...any experience with installing a radian RF in this car? Installing carseats is NOT the easiest thing for me, and I don't really have access to a tech here, so have to do it myself, with help from DH who, honestly, would not be thrilled with me buying a new seat...oh well, too bad!;)
Have you searched the Successful Radian install thread?

5. This is totally unrelated to the Radian, but I also like the new Britax MA 65, but right or wrong, I was spooked by the issues of some MA FF in the TC tests last year...am I over-reacting to that? Would you buy a new MA and use it FF with confidence??
Yeah I would but I'm not impressed with the shortened shell length (especially since you said your kiddos are long torsoed).

6. Are there any rumours to any new high weight seats on the horizon?
Not that I am aware of at this time.

chay

I agree with LP above. Just had a couple things to add.

1. I bought our RNXT when DS was 3.5 (DD was outgrowing her SS1 and we needed another seat), he had been FF since a bit before 3 (and continues to FF in DH's car). He loved going RF again and prefers his RF seat in our main car. He's about 41" and 34lbs. If he wanted to FF I would have considered it but I'm happy he's RF.

2. At the rate he's going we will probably put him FF before he outgrows it RF. He has many inches above his head and if he stays on this curve he'll hit 40lbs after 6 so 45lbs is an eternity away but I'm glad I don't have to weigh him all the time like I did when he was getting close to the 30lbs limit on the MA he was in before.

flick37

Thanks, LP! For some reason, I had it in my head that the other thread discussing the sale was for dear-born baby! I remember the bad customer service problems people had last fall. I had my SS1 on order at the time from DDB, which was they sold out of, but found me another...I just had to wait, which was okay, as I wasn't due for awhile. But, I still would rather give my business to a company that has consistent good CS. I have ordered something from Jr Baby, at it was smooth sailing.
I will switch my focus to Juniorbaby, due to the free bag.

Good to know about outgrowing the height FF before RF, so it makes me comfortable that they would be able to get the 45lbs limit use from it.

Now that you mention the shorter britax shell, I do vaguely recall reading about that on a thread here.

Will search out the successful radian install thread!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC