Craigslist threads etiquette... a request

southpawboston

i've been noticing a lot of threads started in the coffeebreak section about old/expired/broken/dirty craigslist carseats. but the titles are often misleading (i can understand and appreciate the sarcasm, but it does make the thread title misleading). sometimes i think the thread is interesting based on the title but then i click on it and it's just another craigslist ad that is getting picked apart. i have no problem with people critiquing the ads, but can we title the threads more appropriately? like start the title with the words "craigslist ad: xxxxxxx"? it just makes sorting through the coffeebreak section difficult when some of the craigslist threads are titled to make me think it's about something other than a bash fest. many threads don't even have the word craigslist in the title. doing this would also help keep the forum organized so people can sort through threads more easily.

thanks.

ADS

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
That is a good suggestion. Anything descriptive in titles helps people sift through them better, especially with how fast this forum moves. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new sub-forum to this forum? It would be nice to separate out a good portion of the posts, but I'm not sure the best way to do that.

Splash

Cloth diapering!

No, just kidding (almost).

How about just parenting in general? Coffee break has a lot of parenting posts, it might make it easier just to give us our own little groovy spot.

Also, how about moving the Craigslist and eBay adds to News and Media?

nisi

Senior Community Member
I also think it might be a good idea to put the ebay/CL "bad" seats in the private section. Imagine if someone whose ad was posted and subsequently bashed does eventually get the message and comes here to learn more, then finds that thread. That's not the kind of welcome to this community that we want to give our new users. Plus they probably aren't going to listen to us after that.

southpawboston

I also think it might be a good idea to put the ebay/CL "bad" seats in the private section. Imagine if someone whose ad was posted and subsequently bashed does eventually get the message and comes here to learn more, then finds that thread. That's not the kind of welcome to this community that we want to give our new users. Plus they probably aren't going to listen to us after that.

not a bad idea... part of the problem is that we are making fun of the people posting those bad CL ads by drenching the threads in sarcasm... most of those people are well-intending, and simply don't know better. it seems as though it has become more of a form of entertainment here than an actual benefit to the community.

How about just parenting in general? Coffee break has a lot of parenting posts, it might make it easier just to give us our own little groovy spot.

great!

Also, how about moving the Craigslist and eBay adds to News and Media?

i think news and media is for more news-related bits and general info pertaining to CPS and car safety, laws, etc... not for ads

i would like to see a couple of subforums within coffeebreak along the lines of:

"used carseats in the marketplace"

and

"general parenting"

broken4u05

The only thing with it being private is i do not think i could go in it and i like seeing the old seats.

southpawboston

The only thing with it being private is i do not think i could go in it and i like seeing the old seats.

after you are a member for 90 days and have reached a certain post count, you become a senior member... and you can request to be "upgraded" prior to meeting those criteria...

but i think the point is that if CL posters decide to join after receiving emails (nasty OR nice :rolleyes: ), they won't be able to see how they were treated until they themselves become senior members... by which time the thread would have become buried under pages of newer threads.

broken4u05

Well than i guess i am going to go do that. never really needed to before. But i have been here for a while and changed my thinking a lot about car seat safety

Morganthe

I second that the Ads postings on CL, Ebay, etc.. need to have their own section with a caution for respectful behavior.
The tone has changed from helpfully informing the seller to rude & mocking. I like the parenting issues discussed on Coffee break, it helps keeps things lively. But the ads could easily fit somewhere else more appropriate.
jmhoau :)

mominabigtruck

I'm all for responding to cl's ads if there is something wrong with them, but I think the best way is to when you email them is to include a link to the manufacturer's website where the instruction manual is located. That way not only do they know that your not some idiot just spouting off, but if they want they can print it off to give to whoever buys the seat so that they will have the manual and be able to use the seat correctly. I think people will be alot more inclined to listen if you back up what your saying with links to respected websites, instead of throwing out the "I'm a tech thing" which apparently everyone is doing these days.

scatterbunny

Only some manufacturers post manuals online. Some (Dorel) make you order a manual, and you must have the model number.

mominabigtruck

Only some manufacturers post manuals online. Some (Dorel) make you order a manual, and you must have the model number.

But the majority of dorel's seats are the same seats they've been making for a while, so you can still link them to the current model, which gives all the stats, which is generally what people have problems with.

southpawboston

I'm all for responding to cl's ads if there is something wrong with them, but I think the best way is to when you email them is to include a link to the manufacturer's website where the instruction manual is located. That way not only do they know that your not some idiot just spouting off, but if they want they can print it off to give to whoever buys the seat so that they will have the manual and be able to use the seat correctly. I think people will be alot more inclined to listen if you back up what your saying with links to respected websites, instead of throwing out the "I'm a tech thing" which apparently everyone is doing these days.

okay, so i propose a challenge to the carseat.org community: let's compile our own inventory of electronic manuals for at least the seats that we ourselves have... then one person can volunteer to host them all on his or her server space, and make them freely downloadable (i'll volunteer for this). we can have a stickied thread with links to each one. then whenever someone wishes to respond to a dubious CL/ebay listing, they can provide the link to the appropriate manual (or attach it to the email). granted, some of the seats on CL are long outdated and digital manuals may not even exist, but at least we'll have a good base inventory established.

this will also benefit community members here as well... how many times has someone asked how to get a copy of a manual? if we had an inventory of them, they'd be one link away... and i'm willing to host them.

i already have pdf manuals for all my carseats (past and present), and i'm sure many members here do as well... and for those that don't, it would be a good time to do a little legwork and get them. this is not something that can be done overnight, but in the long run i could see this as a real asset to this community.

just another of my :twocents:

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i think thats a graet idea..i am always finding manuals for people, on the boards and off..and i think it would be wonderful to have them all compiled on here. maybe we can have main forums listed by the manufacter, with posts of the manual..does that make sense?

southpawboston

i think thats a graet idea..i am always finding manuals for people, on the boards and off..and i think it would be wonderful to have them all compiled on here. maybe we can have main forums listed by the manufacter, with posts of the manual..does that make sense?

i think for now it wouldn't even need that level of organization. i was thinking more along the lines of a single post that can get continually edited by the same person (would need moderator powers to do this i think, since we're only allowed to edit our posts for a few hours) as more manuals became available. people would email that person the manuals as they found them.

the post would just read as an alphabetical list of links to manuals. the links would all point to my server, where the actual pdf files would be stored. i don't think the forum allows storing files on its own server.

btw, i used to be global moderator on a car forum (elantraclub.com), and did something very similar with all the published technical bulletins and recall notices for the elantra. as more bulletins were published by hyundai (which were not accessible electronically by the general public), i would get copies of them and link to all of them in a single thread. same idea.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A master compilation of carseat manuals already exists actually, although I'm not sure how it could be incorporated into this idea exactly because it may involve copyright issues. There's a CD of all carseat manuals available for purchase from SafetyBeltSafeUSA aka carseat.org at http://www.carseat.org/Resources/101_resources.htm#instructions Why reinvent the wheel so to speak if it's already invented, KWIM? :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC