Maestro Poll

Are you going to keep using the Maestro after "repairing" it?

• Yes

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

mamakc

Will you continue to use your recalled Maestro in harness mode after installing the repair kit?

Last edited:
ADS

Spam

I'm still waiting for the repair kit I ordered last friday. I don't plan to use it in harness mode again though. I bought a gn to replace it. I think it would have been better if Evenflo would have allowed the parents to make the choice to accept the repair kit and continue to use the seat or they should have offered a refund for those that do not want to use the seat again. They say it passed testing with the repair kit, but uh didn't it pass their testing in the first place before it was released? And if consumer reports did their testing in May, why did Evenflo not recall it until now? I'm a little annoyed with the whole thing, and now own a $80 booster seat that all my kiddos are too small to use :thumbsdown:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
As of right now, yes. While my dh is not an engineer, he does build aircrafts and is very familiar with structural components and he is comfortable with the 'fix'. Having said that, we haven't got the fix yet, so once we have it and it's in place, we will make a final decision at that time. But right now, we are planning on it.

fyrfightermomma

Yes. Mine was fixed yesterday. I have no choice. It's all I got. It's that or put my 33 pound child in a booster. So use it it is!

pj2rc

I have to. I keep seats in 3 cars. I can't afford to buy 3 GN's and don't feel it makes sense w/ a 4.5 yr old. The other option is to buy 1 GN and have her ride in a booster in the other cars ... but she is in them almost as often ... just not for long rides. But if I'm comfortable w/ her in a booster, then I should be comfortable in all cars --- except fo long rides. Actually, she has been riding very well this past week in boosters. But I don't trust my DH or especially my mom to correct her if she rides incorrectly in a booster. My DH I think might be ok, but might let some things slide .... my mom, I would be surprised if she let her ride w/ the belt behind her.

ETA- I also wish they offered an opt out option

DahliaRW

I watched the video and totally get how the kit fixes the issue. It solves the problem of the harness adjuster pushing against the plastic, the plastic cracking, and the harness adjuster going into the seat (which is what was allowing the harness to loosen). The metal part is a reinforcement for that plastic part. Totally makes sense and such an easy fix. I have no qualms. Especially since the maestro passed initial testing without it (I'm still wondering what CR did differently) and it makes total sense to me that this should hold.

I think they waited 6 months because 1) they had no fix and a recall at that point would mean telling people not to use their seats and such or 2) they were doing thier own testing to see if it really was a problem. Either way, there are no real world reports of this happening in a crash, and I'm sure there have been crashed maestros! It's not like the notches of death where there were documented injuries and deaths and the company did nothing.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We got the kit yesterday. I have to admit, I was expect something less substantial from the pics. The piece of metal that they used is quite stout and I got a really good fit. I actually think the metal plate would be even better then thicker plastic on the new model...but I'm not an engineer. As of right now, I have no issue using the fix.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
We got the kit yesterday. I have to admit, I was expect something less substantial from the pics. The piece of metal that they used is quite stout and I got a really good fit. I actually think the metal plate would be even better then thicker plastic on the new model...but I'm not an engineer. As of right now, I have no issue using the fix.

:yeahthat:

I have to agree - the "remedy" was more substantial than I expected and I was pleasantly surprised. DS2 is over 50 lbs now so it's a moot point for us - but I'd have no problem using a recalled Maestro with the fix after seeing what it is and how solid it feels. Kudos to Evenflo for coming up with a solution that not only works (according to testing) but should hopefully give consumers back some confidence and peace of mind.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC