replacing seat q

kmarcus

So as I was getting into bed Monday night, I glance out our bedroom window just in time to see a car SMASH into my parked car and then drive away!! Long story short...Geico will replace my Keyfit 30 that was installed at the time (my Britax that was also installed is okay, right??)

My daughter is 8 months old, so i don't want to get another infant seat and Geico said I just had to bring them the old carseat and the receipt for the new one and they'll cut me a check...doesn't matter what seat I get.

Now my question (b/c I didnt want to really ask them this in case they thougth I was trying to be sneaky, which I guess I sort of am)...does it really not matter what seat I get??? No price limit???

Our 3 1/2 year old son is RF in his Boulevard, so I was gonna get him a Nautilus soon anyway, so I guess I'll just get that as my replacement. Or should I get something different/more expensive since it's on Geico??? Thoughts??

Edited to add...I don't want to use the Boulevard FF, which is why I was gonna get a Nautilus.

ADS

jjordan

I think it is best to stick with a seat that costs about the same as the MSRP for the seat you lost. Now, if the seat you lost has MSRP of $150 and you can find a sale where you get a $250 seat for $150, then go for it. But I wouldn't ask the insurance to pay $250 if the seat you're replacing has MSRP $150. Make sense? (ETA: looks like the Keyfit runs about $180 at Babies R Us, so I'd try to stick with a seat that costs about that much or less. You could also see about getting a more expensive one and paying the difference yourself.)

Here's the link for questions to ask to find out if the Boulevard needs to be replaced.

If you end up keeping the boulevard, it makes sense to me to get a FF seat for your son and move your dd to the boulevard.

monstah

If you don't mind paying the difference, I'd spend whatever the heck you want, bring in the receipt, and show them (print out from BRU maybe) how much the seats you had were worth. Then let them decide how much they are going to cut the check for as long as it covers the cost of the ruined seats. You can probably sell the covers off the ruined seats to put toward the cost of the new seats too if Geico doesn't want them. (When they cut you a check, the covers become Geico's property so they might want to keep the covers.)

babyherder

I'd get whatever you think would work best and last longest. Focus on those factors without price and see what you get. I wouldn't go out and buy the most expensive seat in the world just cause Geico will pay for it but I wouldn't limit yourself to things that cost as much or less than the keyfit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC