Advanced Airbags???

lanwenyi

Do all cars w/ advanced airbags have the "no touching" rule for the passenger seat?

I hear about it here a lot, but while we were out car-shopping, I looked through the owner's manual for the new VW we're planning to buy and could find NO prohibition on it. The salesperson said the sensors for the airbag are only in the bottom seat cushion, so touching the seatback shouldn't matter (I took what he said w/ a grain of salt b/c he's trying to sell me car and insisted on actually reading the manual). After reading both the airbag and child seat installation sections word-by-word, we could find nothing stating the prohibition.

We finally tried the behind the passenger seat install and if braced, the radian does fit (it's tight, but doable). The airbag sensor stayed off even with DD in her carseat, but did turn the airbag on as soon as one of us sat in the front passenger seat. To our (untrained) eyes, bracing the radian on the back of the passenger seat did not affect the airbag sensor. However, if it can't touch, then a Radian won't fit behind the passenger.

If not all advanced airbags have that prohibition, what are other manufacturers that allow touching/bracing even w/ advanced air bags?

On a semi-related note, do the rear side airbags help or hinder child passenger safety? (the car we're looking at has 6 standard airbags, but the last 2, the rear side-impact airbags, are an option)

TIA

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
The restriction for not-touching with advanced airbags is totally dependent on each manufacturer - there's no across-the-board rule, so it's entirely possible that the manual for the car you test-drove was correct.

Airbags in rear seating positions are the same way - depends on what type they are and what the manual says. There is some evidence that side-curtain airbags do provide some protection to children in carseats & boosters, and since side-curtain airbags deploy very differently than frontal-airbags, there's no risk with installing seats in those seating positions.

However, the number one rule is always, ALWAYS read and follow the vehicle manual.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree- It's quite possible that manufacturers use different types of sensors for their airbags, so the only way to know what is allowed is to check your owner's manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC