My baby has an omphalocele and I need a low crotch strap

U

Unregistered

My son has been in the hospital since birth and he is now 5 mos old. He will be discharged soon and we need a convertible carseat that would accomodate his giant omphalocele (imagine a large navel orange sticking out from his tummy). We would need a low/adjustable crotch strap so that it lies under the abdominal defect. There should not be any pressure in the tummy area. He is 24" and almost 13 lbs. He still can't hold up his neck since he mostly lies on his bed all day and can't really do much tummy time and comfortable sitting time. Thanks!!

Ps the hospital provided (through our insurance) a Cosco carbed but it will max out at 26" and it isn't the safest thing either.

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm thinking the True Fit might work for you. Especially with the infant insert, the crotch strap is short, and it has 2 positions, so you could use the outter one if you needed it. Someone else can chime in. We ususally come up with better ideas as we go ;).

Congrats being able to bring your little guy home!

Pixels

Do the new Britax seats still have a pretty short crotch strap? I know the old ones do, but they also likely won't fit. A new Britax, especially with the (purchased separately) infant insert should fit.

The Radian has a relatively short crotch strap, and can be kept on the inner most slot until baby is 30 pounds, which will use up some of the length as he grows, but it might not be sufficient for now.

The BabyTrend infant seat has an adjustable crotch strap. You're supposed to keep it adjusted so that the hip straps are one half to one inch above the thigh, putting the buckle on the belly button area, but you could make a parental decision to use it with the strap all the way short to keep it off his belly. When you're working with special needs, the usual rules go somewhat out the window. :) This is an infant seat, so it won't last super long. Have they given you any sort of idea of how long he'll have the no-pressure-on-belly rule?

aeormsby

The Onboards also have a different way to route the crotch strap (I don't remember if there's a weight limit for it) to make it shorter.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Where are you located? Is there a special needs trained CPST in your area? My SN instructor (in Portland, OR) had pictures/information on a baby she had worked with that had the same health problem. I'm sure she could give some input if you have a local tech to work with.

ETA: here is a listing of SN trained technicians:
http://www.preventinjury.org/SNTtrainedPpl.asp

Last edited:
D

Dr. Alisa Baer

You should look into the Hope Car Bed as it was designed with the omphalocele in mind (check out the baby lying on his right side using the bunting and cumberbun.

http://www.eztether.com/PDFs/Merritt_Manufacturing_Hope_Car_Bed_Specifications.pdf

www.preventinjury.org is a great resource and can help more - but you are going to run into issues with the buckle tongues on all 5 point harnesses probably, even one with short crotch straps.

Dr Alisa Baer
Pediatrician & Nationally Certified Child Passenger Safety Instructor

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie123

In the old Marathon, the harness usually has space between the body and the straps down low in the abdominal area. I'm not sure about the new marathon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC