Car seat advice needed

U

Unregistered

Right now we have 5 kids (with 2 on the way). We drive a 12 passenger, Chevy express van w/3 rows of bench seats (3, 3, and 4). I have my 9yo in a Frontier, 6 yo in Regent, 4 yo in Regent, 3 yo in Decathalon, and 15 month old in Snugride30. I need to pass down the infant seat to our new baby in 2 weeks, and am in quandary about what to go w/for my 15month old. He is just at 28 pounds. I have used Britax exclusively (except the infant seat), for the last 9 years, and don't know much about the other brands. Up until recently (came here and read about the Transport Canada testing), I had thought they were the best. HELP!! What should I go with? My concern is I would like to keep the 15 month old RF, however in my van there isn't much room w/o him sitting nearly upright (tried to RF w/a Advocate). What angle is correct for his age, and how do you gauge that? Also, should I look at replacing the Decathalon and Advocate (Advocate was only used briefly, switched to the regent for 4yo) The 15 month old can't stand the head wings on the advocate, and is completely miserable.
We also have a 3 year old we are adopting - should be home in December. Imagine she is near 25-30 pounds. What would be a good choice for her?
Sure appreciate any help deciding the route to go. Need to decide quickly!!!
Thanks!

ADS

daycaremom2002

A 15 month old can be as upright as 30 degrees. I currently have a rear facing Marathon in the second bench window seat of my Express van. I actually really like the recline for my small 16 month old. I also put a 31 pound 2yo in it at times. She doesn't mind the recline position at all. I think it works very well. If I put it right behind the driver, I can get more recline, but it is hard to get right next to a Snugride30.

What about using the Decathalon for the 15mo? You could get a new seat for you 3yo that would last for quite a while. How much does the 3yo weigh? The Graco My Ride goes to 40 pounds rear facing and 65 pounds forward facing. It is slightly wide, so might be a tight fit if you need a 3 across in 1 row. If forward facing is what you want for the 3yo, try the Evenflo Maestro. It is narrow and will fit until 50 pounds forward facing.

Maybe plan on using the Advocate for the new 3yo until you can determine what size seat and what direction you would like to place it in the van. How long before the expiration date?

momtoo3

You could also look at the Evenflo Triumph 65. It rear faces to 40 lbs and forward to 65 lbs. My 2 yr old is 24 pounds and 33 3/4 inches he fits rear facing and so does my nephew who is about 30 pounds. My nephew and my 5 year old ( 43 lbs, 45 in) also fit forward facing. It could be a good solution to a child who doesn't like the head wings. We love the 2 we have! They also do not take a ton of room front to back but are wide so not good for 3 across. HTH!

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the reply! I saw in your pic you have 3 across. That may be what I need to do in my middle row bench. Right now i have two there with absolutely no room for a third. I would love to have 3 RF there - any thoughts what seats would work? I need to buy 2 new ones for my 28 and 30 pound kiddos - and could certainly replace the one for my other 28# child.

Thanks!

A 15 month old can be as upright as 30 degrees. I currently have a rear facing Marathon in the second bench window seat of my Express van. I actually really like the recline for my small 16 month old. I also put a 31 pound 2yo in it at times. She doesn't mind the recline position at all. I think it works very well. If I put it right behind the driver, I can get more recline, but it is hard to get right next to a Snugride30.

What about using the Decathalon for the 15mo? You could get a new seat for you 3yo that would last for quite a while. How much does the 3yo weigh? The Graco My Ride goes to 40 pounds rear facing and 65 pounds forward facing. It is slightly wide, so might be a tight fit if you need a 3 across in 1 row. If forward facing is what you want for the 3yo, try the Evenflo Maestro. It is narrow and will fit until 50 pounds forward facing.

Maybe plan on using the Advocate for the new 3yo until you can determine what size seat and what direction you would like to place it in the van. How long before the expiration date?

U

Unregistered

Thanks - I'll have to check it out! :) Do you think it takes up a lot of room rear facing?

You could also look at the Evenflo Triumph 65. It rear faces to 40 lbs and forward to 65 lbs. My 2 yr old is 24 pounds and 33 3/4 inches he fits rear facing and so does my nephew who is about 30 pounds. My nephew and my 5 year old ( 43 lbs, 45 in) also fit forward facing. It could be a good solution to a child who doesn't like the head wings. We love the 2 we have! They also do not take a ton of room front to back but are wide so not good for 3 across. HTH!

daycaremom2002

Thanks for the reply! I saw in your pic you have 3 across. That may be what I need to do in my middle row bench. Right now i have two there with absolutely no room for a third. I would love to have 3 RF there - any thoughts what seats would work? I need to buy 2 new ones for my 28 and 30 pound kiddos - and could certainly replace the one for my other 28# child.

Thanks!

Not sure of your budget, but I bet you can fit 3 Radians there rear facing, or 2 my rides with a radian in the middle? It might be easier to have 1 rear facing behind the driver and then put 2 rear facing with a forward facing in between in the second bench. It really comes down to finding just the right combination. The Regents pretty much prevent a 3 across. Not sure about the Frontier, I don't have one of those.

As far as rear facing being too upright to fit, I have no problem getting my Marathon to full recline, or putting the SS1(snugride 30 predecessor) behind the driver seat, and the Marathon gets plenty recline in any position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC