Which infant seat??

Kiss Me Deadly

Baby girl #3 is on her way! A friend came over tonight and let me borrow her infant car seat/base (and her infant :p) to see how a third car seat would fit in my car...

I have a 2008 Mazda 5. My oldest daughter is FF in a Frontier, and my younger daughter is RF in a Recaro Como. They are each in the 2nd row captain's chairs with great, secure installs!

My friend has a Graco Snugride, and I've pretty much decided that a Graco seat isn't going to work very well in the 3rd row... It's just too big! When I installed the base, I had to move the seat my oldest sits in forward. When I put the actual bucket in, I had to move it forward even more, and move the front passenger seat forward to accommodate.

So, I'm looking for a seat with not only a small base, but also isn't going to require another foot of room when you lock the bucket onto the base...

Any suggestions?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you want compact in BOTH directions, I'd look at the Chicco Keyfit and the BabyTrend FlexLoc. (Of the 2, the Keyfit is far easier to install in most vehicles.)

mamajava

Senior Community Member
And if it is going in the 3rd row and your worried about room, the BabyTrend handle has to be down.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, however the handle when down is VERY close to the base, really, it's not like the Evenflo seats. If you put it in with the handle already all the way down, it's not too much of an issue space-wise.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not to mention, the second row Mazda 5 seats have to be all the way back when installing carseats on them. So you're going to lose a lot of third row room with seats there.

I'd probably put the two rear facers in the back, with the Frontier in front of the Como, since the Como sits upright. I'd try a Keyfit, though the Snugride with the handle up (if it's a Snugride 22) is pretty small.

Another option is to put the Frontier in the third row and the two rear facers in the second. Just make sure there is leg room for the Frontier rider.

Wendy

Kiss Me Deadly

I had thought about putting the daughter in the Frontier in the third row because she can get in and out of the seat herself, I just have to do the buckles for her. I was just thinking how easy it would be to get the bucket out of the car through the hatch with one of the third row seats down, but it might be just as easy for the older child to get in and out that way... Plus, the third row seats do not have LATCH, and as much as I LOVE the Frontier, the seatbelt install can be a real pain...

I have another friend and neighbor who offered me a Maxi Cosi (09 DOM) for a really good price. I know her very well, and trust that the car seat has been maintained properly and never been in an accident. Plus, I live across the street and see her car every day, so I know their vehicles have not been in an accident... But I really don't know anything about that seat other than it would fit with our Quinny...

Just rambling now, sorry... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC