Matirx - 3 car seats? which ones?

winter

We seem to have stumbled on a really good deal to buy a 2008 Matrix.

We went in to look at it, I had some concerns about the back seat.

We currently have two kids.
DD is going to be 3 end of November. She is 37" tall (I believe) and 30 lbs
She is currently in a marathon in our van.
DS is going to be 1 on December 30. He is just over 29" tall and 21 lbs.
He is still in his Graco safeseat. I'd like to keep him rear facing as long as possible.
We may decide to have a third, if I am lucky enough to get PG again so we want to get something that can fit three kids.

The marathon and safeseat could not be installed side by side and when they were both on the outside, it did not leave a whole lot of room in the middle for either a person or another seat. Yes I know those are wide seats.

What, if any car seats can be put in a Matrix that work rear facing? It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of room in that back seat...

Also, the middle top tether was not centred with the middle seat. It was really close to the outer passenger side tether. Is this safe? It did not seem like an idea location.

Any other comments about this vehicle would also be appreciated.
Also, I'm in Canada... I just realized I probably put this in the wrong section. Oops.

Last edited:
ADS

winter

Actually, I guess I should get something clarified...Do car seats use an upper tether when they are installed with a seat belt? (I know it does when it is only a lap belt... I had to do this in my old Sunfire) but if there is a shoulder belt, do you still use a top tether?

I haven't had to try this type of installation yet.

Melanie

It seems to be that 3 across can be done in most cars if you really want/need to. It takes the right combination of seats. The trick seems to be really skinny seats and seats that will overlap. Radians are usually required because they will fit under the lip and behind a lot of seats. I'm sure the install isn't that easy, but doable. Take a look at the 3 across thread-someone has 3 in the backseat of a Honda Civic.

The Matrix is based on the Corolla. I can't picture that back seat being any smaller than a Civic.

Also, even though you can get in 3 carseats doesn't mean 2 carseats and an adult would fit. DH drives a Civic and there's no way even my skinny teen could fit between the 2 car seats.

As for top tethers...my understanding is that in Canada the law requires all forward facing car seats to be tethered. In the US, law doesn't require it, but it's still recommended. Physics law doesn't change when you cross the border. I'd be surprised that a car that new wouldn't have 3. Even if it did only have 2, the future baby could stay rear facing for a long time (possibly to age 4) so you may not need the third until you're ready for a new car anyway.

My cousin drives an older Matrix and loves it. I'm always amazed at how much cargo room it has. She frequently travels with 2 adults, 1 child and 2 100+ lb dogs.

FWIW, I'm not a tech, I've just hung out here ;)

winter

Thanks Melanie.
I was pretty sure that in Canada we needed the top tether but then I also remember seeing that with some seats you don't. I'm glad you said it was not a requirement in the USA because that is probably where I found the information on car seats that did not require it.

I feel like my brain is going to explode with all of this information right now. We found a great deal on a Matrix but we have to act fast. The seller needs to get out of his lease, and we don't have to pay anything... just take over the lease payments for the next 30 months. He is paying all the fees to have the lease transfered over. We can get it at the used car price without having the used car financing. Amazing since I am no mat leave and my car was written off and we now need another one before I return to work.

The Matrix did have three top tethers. The middle one is just really far off to the side. I am pretty sure I read somewhere (possibly in my Marathon booklet) that the top tether can't be more than 20 degrees off centre (I could be out to lunch about this. I need to verify this) and since the tether is so far off to the side, I'm not sure if it is even possible to get a forward facing seat in that position.

The last thing I want to do is buy a vehicle that we will outgrow.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The last thing I want to do is buy a vehicle that we will outgrow.

What happens if you get pg with twins? ;)

3 in a matrix is tough and annoying..it will become more annoying when you have 1 in a booster, buckling is a pain. Although it hurts the eco-conscious side of me, I think a family who INTENDS to have 3 children is probably going to want a bigger car. Plus, as the kids grow, they'll want to have friends ride long, but you won't be able to...

Its up to you to decide if this offer is something you really ought to take, given your financial situation, etc. Certainly people have 3 kids and a small car. But..it sort of stinks. I wouldn't choose it if i had another choice open to me.

winter

What happens if you get pg with twins? ;)

Haha, then I'd probably be able to convince DH that I don't have to go back to work and the second vehicle would no longer be needed. We are keeping our van so we always have the bigger vehicle... the Matrix would be mostly for me to commute to work. DH takes the bus and I work shift work to work around his schedule so our kids don't have to go to daycare. We need the second vehicle so DH and the kids aren't stuck at home while I am at work.

I'm pretty much convinced I do not want a Matrix. I wasn't very happy about the safety ratings anyways. I'm sure we will find good deals on other vehicles and we aren't in a rush since I don't go back to work until January. I think I will just wait for something a little bigger, even if it means the gas mileage isn't as good. It takes me 9 minutes to get to work, gas mileage isn't the end of the world.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC