Cant seem to find a vehicle that meets our needs, what would you do?

TheQueenMother

Dh and I have 5 childen, 3 in car seats. Our kids are really social and are involved heavily in athletics, 4-h and church stuff. We are in the car at least an hour a day. Someone always has a friend over and we take a spare with us to church on Wed and Sundays so we often take 2 vehicles as my suburban seats 7. We live very rurally and 4wd is a necessity. We participate in 4h livestock events and often pull a trailer with my suburban.
I use my cargo area a lot. By the time that each of the 3 girls has a backpack and a gymbag, plus a diaper bag for baby, spare clothing for ds1, and that is full. I try to do one large shopping trip each month and that will fill up three baskets. I pick up feed for the stock as well as often take my double jogger. So cargo space is a must.
What would you get to haul around the kids, friends, dogs, etc safely? I honestly considered a limo at one point but am open to all options.
Thanks

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would get an 8 passanger Suburban/Yukon XL or Expedition EL. I can't think of anything else that will meet your needs and even though you'll miss the convience of walk thru captains chairs at least you'll have an extra seat for friends.

Is there a reason your current 'burban isn't working or is it just time for a new car?

Maybe they need more than 8 seats? Really, the Burb or possibly the Excursion is about it. Anything that holds more really isn't designed for towing or 4WDing or any of your lifestyle stuff.

I dunno that'd I'd really do anything. You've got your family. You've got the lifestyle you like. You make do with what vehicles you have.

TheQueenMother

Our suburban does work most of the time and we can take 2 cars in a pinch. It's just that when dh is out of town and I have extras, I need more passenger room. The cargo space in my suburban is so much better than my Mom's van where hauling stuff and a stroller is impossible.
At one point, we had my suburban, dh's truck and a commuter car but we outgrew the car and I sold it. We may have to buy something else as a passenger wagon and just not take the stroller and drive the suburban to get groceries and stuff.
What should I look at that seats more than 9?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ya, that was going to be my suggestion, is keep the burb for when you need towing and cargo, and get a 12-15 passenger van for when you just need more seats. I think some chevy models? have versions with some rear headrests? I'm not sure, sorry.

npauli

options that I know of:

1) Suburban - the new ones seat up to 9
2) large van/sprinter - no 4wd though
3) something huge and custom, like this

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC