Skinniest backless?

MissAllyLou

What's the skinniest backless booster? Needed for occasional three-across in a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Child is 7 years old, 49", 46 pounds. Rides in a PKWY SG in my car, TB highback in Mom's car. Backless is really all that is needed, he's in the middle w/ headrest, sits well in his booster, and only rides in this car 1-2x/week for 5 minutes across town each way.

ADS

sirrahn

I know the backseat design may have changed, but the Harmony Literider works very well in a 3 across in DH's '02 Passat wagon. I have not tried it in the middle, but I can get two outboard with a Chase in the middle and the older kids can buckle themselves without much issue. The low flared armrests allow them to reach over more easily.

NVMBR02

I have a Evenflo Amp and while it is skinny it is pretty hard to buckle in a 3-across (at least on both of our cars) I would try the literider first.

Have you tried just the NB portion of the turbo there? It works well in our 3 across too, the lower arm rests seem to help.

MomToEliEm

One seat that surprised me as working well in my 3-across booster situation was the Sunshine Kids Monterey (back removed). The base is really narrow and the armrests angle out so that it gives some room for reaching the buckle. I wasn't able to get our turbo to work in the 3-across since it was too hard to access the buckle. I ended up with the parkway - monterey - evenflo big kid in a 3 across in my camry.

If you have to buy a new seat for this situation though, try the literider first as I always hear great things about it fitting in tight places.

hrice

I have a Evenflo Amp and while it is skinny it is pretty hard to buckle in a 3-across (at least on both of our cars) I would try the literider first.

Have you tried just the NB portion of the turbo there? It works well in our 3 across too, the lower arm rests seem to help.

Yes, impossible to buckle in my 3 across. So is the Graco turbo. The Literider is the only booster that works for us.

momto3girls

Senior Community Member
I measured the amp and got 16" which is the same as the turbo. It has tall armrest which makes it hard to fit in 3 across situations. I helped a friend get 3 across in her accord and the only booster that worked was the harmony literider. So I agree try that one first.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I just measured my Literider and at the base of the legs, it is 13" The arms do stick out a bit wider but they are positioned so they tend to mesh or puzzle well with most seats (they fit right under most of my seats).

my :twocents:: for occasional use car pooling in a tight 3-across situation for a booster-riding kid (and since you have younger LO's who could use this later on down the line) how about a RideSafer Travel Vest
(I feel like I say this a lot - honestly, I don't work for Safe Traffic Systems, I'm just glad that the RSTV allows me to fit 3 across in my 1997 Civic!)

MissAllyLou

It was just short of a nightmare to buckle :p

NVMBR02

It was just short of a nightmare to buckle :p

lol. I figured it was a no go. I don't know how often you are down in the south metro area, you could try my Amp. Otherwise I would start with the literider. I am pretty impressed with it. I haven't bought one yet, but I will be soon. It seems to fit most kids well and has a nice sleek look.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Cosco Ambassador/Highrise is similar in width to the others but narrows down at the belt path, so sometimes it fits where others won't. Cheap enough that it's worth a shot, if the other options don't work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC