I finally got the Nautilus....

RYLANSMOM

So I have looked and priced, looked some more and decided on this seat for my son who is 3. He was in an Evenflo triumph dlx. He loved the seat, I loved that seat but for multiple reasons we needed a newer seat. The seat in dads truck was so uncomfortable for him and he woudn't sit still, which isn't like him at all. So we put the Evenflo in his truck and nautilus in my suv. Problem solved right? Wrong....my son told me he didn't like the seat when I asked why he said. "Its to big mom".The seat has more width to it for his growing body and doesn't cradle him like the Evenflo..but in all actuallity it fits so much better in my car. I guess this is something he will have to get used to. He is between heights right now which is causing the harness to rub his neck. I will try putting the cusion to harness on and seeing if that helps. I had seen pictures where that pushed the chest clip down so I didn't want to use them. I have been getting on to my little guy because he keeps pushing the chest clip down. He is figuring this out way to soon! I'm sure its not uncomfotable for him, just new and different. Not so much a baby seat anymore but he will be to big for the evenflo before to long.

ADS

MomToEliEm

I hope, in time, that he learns to love that seat. Maybe you could put some stickers or patches on the seat so that it is more personalized to him.

RYLANSMOM

What I should have done was let him bring a toy and a drink...he loves those options and had he had something he could have "stashed" I'm sure it would have made his mind up.

Keep in mind that my son is VERY stubborn (much like me) and can NOT be tricked into anything. When potty training I tried the whole "but your a big boy big boys go in the potty" and he would say "no i'm a baby" at his birthday, although he LOVED his birthday and still asks for another, he refuses to say he's 3, only 2. No matter how hard I try :) I think I'm going to have my work cut out for me. I love this seat and it seems SOOOO safe that in time he will like it, but because it is a "big boy" seat, it doesn't cuddle him as much. I will let him bring his security blanket next time.

Mae

Just wanted to double check, is the entire base of the Nautilus on the vehicle seat? The Nautilus (also called the GN on here :)) doesn't allow any overhang. (At first I read your original post as the GN was in the truck, but I suppose the question can still stand.)

Also, do you have the car seat (Evenflo) in the truck top tethered? What kind of truck is it? There are some types of trucks that are different when it comes to tethering the seat -- Instead of tethering to the anchor directly behind the (car) seat, you thread the top tether through a loop and connect it to the adjacent anchor.

Let me know the make/model/year and I can check that out for you (or it will be in your truck's manual, if you'd like to look).

Welcome to car-seat.org! :)

If you would like, here is a thread that explains some of our commonly used abbreviations here on the thread. :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=66826#post66826

mish

When you mention putting the cushions on the harness, do you mean the harness covers that come with the seat? Those are fine and should help with the rubbing issue. You can't use a set of harness covers that you buy separate from the seat. Those do sometimes cause the chest clip to be pushed down or possibly be too think and cause the harness to not tighten properly. If you are using the ones that came with the seat and have them in the proper place they won't interfere with the harness at all. If you have questions about whether or not you are using them right, feel free to post pics and we can give you tips

And congrats on your new seat :)

Reactions: Mae

Mae

In addition to what mish said about the harness covers, there is also a specific model of GN's that do not allow the use of the harness covers after the child weighs 40 pounds.

To figure out if your Nautilus allows you to use the harness covers beyond 40 lbs, consult your car seat manual. It will have it in there. :)

RYLANSMOM

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions. I read the entire manual before I installed, including my suv's manual (which is lacking a lot of info by the way) I drive a 2002 ford escape xlt. The seat fits completely on the seat no over hang at all. Actually has a little more room. The car seat that is in dads truck does not have the latch system. He drive a 2001 Chevy s 10 quad cab. So it is only installed with belt but it is a tight fit.

When you mention putting the cushions on the harness, do you mean the harness covers that come with the seat?
yes, the harness covers that came with it. I will need to try them on the seat and see how he does with them. When he sits in the seat the belt touches both sides of his neck and he says "to tight" I hope the harness cover will help with that. He is in between slots right now the slot his harness is on is a little above the shoulder, the slot below is below the shoulder so I moved it up and I think until he grows a little more that I'll be fighting that problem.

there is also a specific model of GN's that do not allow the use of the harness covers after the child weighs 40 pounds.

I have the GN Garrison. The one on sale at target right now. I read the manual and it said the other pads needed to be removed after the first harness slot but I don't think that meant the harness covers.

What I think is strange is everyone mentions head slump in this seat, and that the recline isn't very good. I don't have my seat reclined at all or the vehicle seat and it sits a little reclined. Enough that its a little bit of a pain to get the crotch strap from under him when I put him in. No matter if I pull it out before putting him in, it slides right down the seat. I guess compared to the EVENFLO though it would happen...that was a little more rounded so I never had an issue plus the harness was so easy to adjust...I'm going to miss that seat.

RYLANSMOM

utf-8BSU1BRzAyMzcuanBn.jpg
[/IMG]

This is him this afternoon. The camera was crooked....not the seat. You can't see to well how the belt touches his neck but his clothes cushioned him today. He still says its to big but when his dad got him out he SD see dad I put stuff in there!

Mom-of-Two

How tall is he, the lower harness slot isn't AT his shoulders? The problem looks to be how high the shoulder straps are, it looks like it's right on his little neck- I wouldn't like it either.

Could you take a pic of the harness height on him?

My guy is 33 months and has had to ride in the Nautilus a few times (it's the seat my 6 yo uses in DH's car) and he loves the seat. The Nautilus is not plush and cozy like some- and my guy is used to a Britax Marathon so it is much different. My 6 yo doesn't mind it either even though she rides in the super plush Regent full time.

I would definitely put the shoulder pads on asap! May make a huge difference in the comfort.

RYLANSMOM

The next lowest harness slot is below his shoulder. When I tried that slot the harness fit over his shoulders okay but then down behind him so I moved them up. I will put the harness covers on and see how that works. O haven't measure him recently but he is 37 mos. Height and width wise he fits good. I think the straps are the Issue. Having the evenflo triumph I was spoiled by the easy strap adjustments and everything fit so well. A friend of mine gave me their evenflo booster with the harness and easy adjustment knobs...but he hated that sit and it wasn't comfortable so we removed.that s:thumbsdown:eat for now. I'm not giving up on this seat because I know its safe and he will like it soon

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC