Swingsets

Splash

Help me.

Okay, I should just leave it at that! I imagine most people who have done this have been in the same boat!

I have NO CLUE which one to buy.
I don't want a Sunray (made by Rainbow).
I might want a Play-A-Round (made by CedarWorks).
I want a Rainbow.
I'm indifferent to CedarWorks.

This set costs about $1700... plus tax, and I (not I, no most certainly not I... my FIL and father) put it together, from approximately 1200 pieces.

To get a Carnival (Rainbow's lower end line) with that set up (or very close) is about $3800.
To get a Rainbow Rainbow with that set up is closer to $5000. Both of those are pre tax, but include installation. A Carnival really would work

On the CedarWorks side, I can get this set for about $1600. No doubt that is a cool set, and I am sure the quality is fine, but I can't SEE it. I have to just order online, sight unseen. To get a "real" CedarWorks of that magnitude, it would be about $6000. But really, this is too much set for us. It really is. And I want the ramp on the same fort as the slide. And this one has weight limits on the swings (which I surpass, because I'm fat). But there are people who own them that say they swing fine on them.

The Rainbow one that I want is about $3800. It's one fort, with a wood floor and picnic table underneath. Slide and ramp on the same side, rock wall on the other side, 3 swings and monkey bars. Page 153 in this catalog.. But will he still like that when he is older? Or should I get page 165 in the same catalog? Not as great for him now, but better for an older kid (I think).

I really wish I could see the Play-A-Round one in person. That would make deciding so much easier.

Anyone has any ideas? I don't want to spend any more than I absolutely have to, but I don't want to get one that will suck. I want it to last until he's at least ten or so (and I mean keep his interest, not just remain standing), but it'll hurt a lot less if he "outgrows" a $1600 set than a $4000 set.

The spot we have, essentially the entire backyard, is about 24x22.

ADS

Mom2nj

All I can say is WOW, what a swing set. My kids would absolutely love any one of those. Maybe someday when we own more than a small city lot...

arly1983

We are actually trying to make this desicion ourselves (since with the daycare we can write it off our taxes). I thought this was going to be one of those simple desicions....Its not.

arly1983

I like the stained wood look better.....The thrid one is of course awesome and the first one looks nice as well.

TheRealMacGyver

Splash, I am probably wrong on this, but I thought you lived in Florida? Anyhow, if so, I don't know if I would go with wood here. Not so much because of termites, since cedar (typically used) has a natural deterrent to them. It is just that wood tends to attract other things that may not be desirable, like spiders and wasps, etc. If you do co with wood, I would advise on painting it with a light colored paint so you can easily inspect for pests. I built a simple one from a kit at Lowes for my niece and bought the lumber from a sawmill locally. It is still sturdy after about 7 years, but it is just a simple swingset (A-frame). I just personally think the fort style ones in Florida get a little scary after a while, when critters find little cracks and crevices to make home.

If your really set on that type though, there is a good selection here: http://www.qualityplaysets.com/Catalog.asp?Submit=List&ConsumerType=Residential&Category=Playsets

You might want to look at a commercial grade ones that eliminate the wooden components and use steel and plastic instead: http://www.qualityplaysets.com/Catalog.asp?Submit=List&ConsumerType=Commercial&Category=PlayGrounds

I'm going to have to do the same thing, but I have some time before I'll have to deal with it:cool: Good luck.

cpsaddict

Re: outgrowing the set. My aunt and uncle live next door and they put in a Rainbow structure when their kids were 1 and 3. They are now 7 and 9 and still play on it almost every day it's nice. I think they are taking it with them when they move next month. That should be fun. They have the picnic table underneath and the fort with slide attached. They also have a hammock on one end that is great for adults. I fit into it and I am, ummm, not exactly small!

Hope that gives you an idea of how long it might "last".

Yoshi

Splash! Listen to me! Thise look great (at first) But I have seen time and time again what happens to the wooden sets- Even the better ones rot and fade and splinter EVEN when they have a lifetime warranty....you actually have to stain them and treat them (with toxic stuff, mind you) each year (not unlike expensive teak outdoor patio furniture) or they end up looking like weathered junk. All you have to do is take a drive around my neighborhood to realize this. I would get this one from Step 2. But that is my :twocents: :)
http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1411&stp2ssid=C3232162-1143-E489-2DF4247E05A46CC7
Oh yes- and wasps and bees in the wooden ones- YUP!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Rainbow one that I want is about $3800. It's one fort, with a wood floor and picnic table underneath. Slide and ramp on the same side, rock wall on the other side, 3 swings and monkey bars. Page 153 in this catalog.. But will he still like that when he is older? Or should I get page 165 in the same catalog? Not as great for him now, but better for an older kid (I think).

Very nice!!!

Are you sure you don't want that King Kong set that is on page 119? :p :p Holy cow!! That is a big one!!!!

twokidstwodogs

We have one made by Childlife that has held up amazingly well for the three or so years we've had it. It still looks practically new--even the ropes on the swings. They aren't cheap, but I was trying to avoid both wood treated with carcinogens and splinters. So far, so good on the splinter front! (We have just the very basic set with swings, trapeze, and a glider.) If you're already in the Rainbow price range, you might want to check out the Childlife ones:

http://www.childlife.com/

Morganthe

Wow, those are huge! Gorgeous, but I'd worry way too much about safety with young children. I can't help you decide. Sorry.

Currently, I'm searching for a basic swing set to go along with my 'steal' from last year. Last summer, I ordered this Little Tikes Climber after a lot of consideration for dd's growth & maturity. The first order was lost by the shipping company. I was credited the entire shipping amount and it was resent. But then Little Tikes messed up at the warehouse and slapped my order tag on this Playhouse instead. KB Toys told me to keep the playhouse and expedited shipping on the original Climber that was now on sale for around 20% off.
If I remember correctly, I paid $150 for the climber and the playhouse was completely free since it would have cost more to return it. :D

I just would like a swing set to go with them now :) Nothing fancy. And it's been very difficult to locate one.

Good luck on trying to decide what will work best for you & Charlie. Personally, I think these type of playsets are aimed for 7+ years up. My dd has absolutely no fear and she would be playing on something like this even though they're designed for larger kids. My poor heart couldn't take the constant fear of something bad happening. It's a long way to the ground :(

That's why I ended up with the climber. It was great for last summer and a couple of months ago, dd was playing with her friends on it too. The eldest was 9 years old and she still had a great time on it :) It will also be easy to pack up when we move out of here. :thumbsup:

Splash

I have a ChildLife catalog, but they're out because of the plastic coated wood and none of them appeal to me in the least, actually.

Yeah, wood fades and wears, but wood holds up best and offers so much more to do than metal of plastic. And the CedarWorks ones (they claim) never have to be treated or sanded. I "visited" one recently (through their see-a-set program) and it had never been treated. It was splinter free (as splinter free as wood can be at least) and greying but still looked and functioned fine. And none of the cedar ones are treated with arsenic or copper (which is why we won't buy pine).

As for bugs, didn't really think of that... yeah, that sucks. But we use a chemical free treatment that works pretty good. I imagine we'll do it in his play area as well.

Arly- Make sure you don't get a residential one! You can't use a residential swingset in a licensed day care! And if ANYTHING ever happens to a kid on it, your liability insurance is off the hook since you're misusing the product.

Splash

The reason we're considering this is because he LOVES to climb, and I don't like taking him to the local playground. It's nice, don't get me wrong. And very close. But the slide is very very high, and there are just too many germs. I know I can't bubble him forever, but I will while I can!
The Rainbow one is actually really enclosed, which is why we like it. The only openings are where there is gear (rock wall, slide, ramp) and we'll close off the rock wall opening for now. The Play-A-Round is a bitter more open, but has so much more stuff for him to do. If I buy this thing, I want it to last until he's beyond playground equipment. He won't even look at the little plastic ones (that was my first intention).

arly1983

Arly- Make sure you don't get a residential one! You can't use a residential swingset in a licensed day care! And if ANYTHING ever happens to a kid on it, your liability insurance is off the hook since you're misusing the product.

Thanks, Splash, I just looked at the Bright From the Start manual and it is there, plain as day, so it looks like I will be getting the set I really want now that I can fully justify the extra money.

Ok, I am on the phone with my local inspector. She said, yep, that why the majority of daycares don't have swing set, play sets, etc because you have to get commercial one and they are a lot more expensive! So I need to start saving NOW because I really want one.

:thanx!:

twokidstwodogs

I have a ChildLife catalog, but they're out because of the plastic coated wood and none of them appeal to me in the least, actually.

It's actually more like an enamel paint. They give you a touch up bottle, which is why I know. I like the way it looks, but I can see why someone might prefer the look of the straight wood ones. The Cedarworks ones are certainly very high quality--I don't think you could go wrong there. (Our trapeze bar is yellow cedar without enamel, and it truly is splinter-free.)

arly1983

Ok, now I am off of the phone, No swing sets for us, I would have to get a commercial one and have 3 inches of wood shavings extending five feet around the diameter of the swingset.
My inspector said the best thing to do was email her what I was thinking of getting and she could tell me if it was ok or not....

Splash

Yeah, I just don't like painted or coated wood for safety, not looks. I don't like not being able to visually inspect the wood to make sure it's still structurally sound. I don't want to find out that a post has rotted when it collapses on my child. I know that childlife is a very high quality company, but it's beyond my comfort level to have weight bearing wood that I can't SEE.

Splash

Ok, now I am off of the phone, No swing sets for us, I would have to get a commercial one and have 3 inches of wood shavings extending five feet around the diameter of the swingset.
My inspector said the best thing to do was email her what I was thinking of getting and she could tell me if it was ok or not....

You can still buy one for YOUR kids. Just be big daycare meanie and tell the other kidlets no touchie due to sue happy society.

arly1983

You can still buy one for YOUR kids. Just be big daycare meanie and tell the other kidlets no touchie due to sue happy society.

True...But have you ever told preschoolers not to touch

Also forgot to mention the swingset/playset would have to be anchored down...

kelly

The Sunray ones from Costco are generally a really good deal if you happen to like the season's configuration. I see you nixed them though. They do have a lesser warranty, but its still 10 years, I think. I really like Sunray for the money.

We bought a house that has a basic Rainbow. Its currently 8 or 9 years old and looks fab. I did re-stain it with deck stain last summer, but it was purely for cosmetic reasons and because I was bored. We had some leftover deck stain, so I went to town.

We're in a blazing summer / bitter winter climate and its held up very well. No cracks or even splinters. The plastic parts are also doing well. Some fading is all. Even the canvas looks good and we don't remove it in the winter, we should, but just never do.

If our house didn't come with the Rainbow, I'd have bought the Sunray. I just think they are a good value and my husband and some buddies could put it together for the price of beer and pizza. :)

One thing to consider is space AROUND the set. If your backyard is that small, you really need to ensure that there's enough space to run around it etc. They probably tell you how much space it "needs" and how big it actually is, I'd think they would anyways!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC