Outgrowing the SS1?

NannyMom

Child is 18 pounds, 6 months, and about 28 inches I think I was told. Could he really be running out of harness? Or did they likely miss an adjustment?

ADS

Mae

Probably missed an adjustment. ;)

Flip the seat over and on the end of the hip straps, there is an extra set of loops. Move the metal "H" type clip to the outer loop. You can also do the same at the end of the splitter plate.

Lemme grab a screen shot of the manual.

NannyMom

Thanks, that's what I thought. I last used mine when LittleS was 11 months, about 22 pounds, and I don't remember how tight the harness was.

I know all the adjustments for the SS1 ;) But this was over the phone, and she didn't seem to want to be walked through it (SIL had adjusted for her). I'll see the seat in a few days, to see if she really did miss one.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
We had plenty of harness left when my super long guy outgrew his at 11 months. He was just too tall but certainly not out of harness.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
DS is 5.5 months... 26.5"+ and 15#+ (those were at 4 months). I just went to the outer loops and if i pull it as tight as it will go it is right at the end of the adjuster, and he fits perfectly... so MILES of room to grow HTH

Kobain's Mommy

I think I'm going to change mine tomorrow. DS was at the Dr last Thursday and was just shy of 22lbs. We use his SS1 as a back up right now but we are taking a trip that we need it. We'll be taking a hotel shuttle van to public transport to meet up with DH's parents, but they will be driving us back to the hotel.

amy&girls

Probably missed an adjustment. ;)

Flip the seat over and on the end of the hip straps, there is an extra set of loops. Move the metal "H" type clip to the outer loop. You can also do the same at the end of the splitter plate.

Lemme grab a screen shot of the manual.

yep, that. At first, I thought the seat was too big for my youngest, then I remembered that her older sister was the last to use it and it was still set on the lower loops. fixed it and she fit! Then I *forgot* about it again, and thought for sure she was done with it at 5 months (and 17lbs) and realized my error, and fixed it again. She then used it till 13 months or so!

grumpybear

Also, make sure they aren't trying to strap baby in with winter coat on.
I only say it because I did that with DS and I thought I was running out of harness and was politely informed by Graco (whom I called in the hopes of getting a longer harness) that thick coats are not allowed for car seats. And from there I was introduced to car-seat.org. :)

jaded

I have to laugh at this, because my son rode in his SS1 until 22 months of age, when I passed it down to someone having a baby soon. He was really close to outgrowing it in height at that point. But the harness still fit no problem.

There are 2 sets of loops on the harness(where the harness adjuster attaches to the other straps) so perhaps it's on second set of loops and it needs to be put on the first set instead.

NannyMom

Also, make sure they aren't trying to strap baby in with winter coat on.
I only say it because I did that with DS and I thought I was running out of harness and was politely informed by Graco (whom I called in the hopes of getting a longer harness) that thick coats are not allowed for car seats. And from there I was introduced to car-seat.org. :)
:thumbsup: Thanks. She said she just had a fleece on him, and she could barely wrestle him into the seat, so she took it off.

I'll find out which loops they missed when I see the seat tomorrow ;)

Kobain's Mommy

How'd it look?

I just relooked at one of my SS1s and sure enough the straps were all on the tighter setting. I'll have to look at my other SS1 when I'm at my parents' place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC