Which booster in which car?

Jan06twinmom

My DS is quickly outgrowing the Radian by height and weight at 5y10m. Not what I had planned. He is riding in a Regent in our main vehicle but will be in a booster in our secondary car and the nanny car.

I need to figure out which booster goes in each car.

DS is around 63/64lbs and 48in tall. We have the Monterey and I just bought him the turbobooster at Target (yeah sale!). DH already told me that I can't buy another harness seat so the Frontier 85 is out:(

We have a 2001 Ford Taurus. Has latch. Front air bags, but no side curtain airbags. This is the vehicle he will ride it least often - possibly 2 or 3 times a week at the most. If I have to drive the kids a lot, DH and I trade cars. (He usually takes kids to school so he drives our primary car.)

Nanny has a 2009 or 2010 Honda Civic. Being such a new car, she has the newer safety features like side curtain airbags. The nanny picks up the kids from school 4 or 5 days a week and might also take them to do other activities like the library or brings them to me if we have something else to do.

Kids school is about a 20-25 minute drive and they are on the freeway. I wouldn't be as concerned about the safest option if it was our neighborhood school that is just a 1 1/2 miles from our house.

Does it matter which booster is in which car? Part of me thinks that the Monterey is a better/safer seat so he should use it in the nanny car since he rides in that car most. Part of me thinks we should keep the Monterey in our car since our car is older and doesn't have side curtain airbags.

Thanks for any advice.

Melanie

ADS

Kat_Momof3

well, which one is easier for the Nanny to use?
which one does your DH want in his car?

if either has a preference, I'd give it to them... because I'd want the seat fool-proof.

Aside from that... the fact that the turbo is so lightweight and so easy to pull apart and together is why I'd give it to the Nanny, who would have more reason to want a seat that can be put in and out of the car should she need to... and I also agree that, with more side impact protection from the car, I'd think she'd be less likely to need all that reinforcement the Monterey has.

Pixels

The Monterey can be LATCHed in, but the Turbo needs to be buckled whenever it's not occupied. Who will do that? (Does the 2001 Focus even have LATCH?)

Aside from that, I would put the Turbo in the nanny car due to side curtain airbags and the Monterey in the Focus.

Jan06twinmom

well, which one is easier for the Nanny to use?
which one does your DH want in his car?

if either has a preference, I'd give it to them... because I'd want the seat fool-proof.

Aside from that... the fact that the turbo is so lightweight and so easy to pull apart and together is why I'd give it to the Nanny, who would have more reason to want a seat that can be put in and out of the car should she need to... and I also agree that, with more side impact protection from the car, I'd think she'd be less likely to need all that reinforcement the Monterey has.

DH actually has the Regent in the car he usually drives. The kids school is on his way to work so he drops them off in the morning. If I'm taking them to school, we switch cars.

I was thinking about the nanny taking the booster seat out and it possibly getting dirty. I'd prefer she did that with the cheaper seat. She'll probably leave it in more because her little sister can use it too.

Jan06twinmom

The Monterey can be LATCHed in, but the Turbo needs to be buckled whenever it's not occupied. Who will do that? (Does the 2001 Focus even have LATCH?)

Aside from that, I would put the Turbo in the nanny car due to side curtain airbags and the Monterey in the Focus.

I think I typed the wrong car. We have a 2001 Ford Taurus and it does have LATCH. It was one of the first seats to have LATCH before it was required.

I'll definitely be talking with the nanny about buckling in the Turbo. I also need to make sure she knows how Marcus needs to sit in the seat. We've been doing some booster seat training with him so he knows how to buckle himself in and knows how to sit.

Melanie

emandbri

I can see your point but I still think I'd put the Monterey in the nanny's car since he is in it more.

Does the Taurus have a shoulder belt in the middle? If so I wouldn't be as concerned about using the turbo in it. Also even though the Taurus is older than the nanny's car it is also heavier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC