Marathon 70 & going the distance

pepsicola

How long will the Marathon 70 last an average kid, both rear and forward facing?

I am really, really tempted to get one for my 25 month old. My rear facing goal is 3 years. I would like this to get us to 4-5 years old forward.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I have a RA 55 (based on the same shell) for my 90th percentile 22 month old. She has at least 4 inches above her head. I fully expect her to fit rf beyond age 3.

Pixels

My 3rd percentile 2y5mo has about two inches of growing room (three inches overall) above her head.

fyrfightermomma

My 95% almost 4 year old has 2 inches RFing. About 3" FFing. My 75% for height 5 yr old doesnt fit RFing but has 2-3 inches FFing. This is in the RA 55 that has the same shell. But I think We've determined its a phantom seat

abigaylebelle

My 3.5 year old has 4-5" of shell left rf in his blvd70. He has a shorter than average torso but isn't unusually small in other regards. I do think the new convertibles are shorter than the older ones, although that obviously didn't matter much for us.

gigi

My 50-60%ile 3.5 y.o. son's head was 1-2" ABOVE the shell of the RA55 this week. It wasn't installed, but unless that buys you 4" I'd say it really, really depends on the kid.
Mine has a longish torso (15" or so).

In contrast, the same kid has 2-3" of shell above his head in the EFTA and probably only slightly less in the old style Boulevard/Marathon.

Jocey'sMommy

I tried one out the other day and my DD still has about an inch left rfing and she is 3 1/2 tall for her age but sports long legs and a short torso, also she has had a growth spurt for height in the last 6 months and she will be 4 in feb. I think that unless your kiddo has a long torso making it to 3 RFing in the Marathon 70 is totally reasonable, plus my DD has quite a bit more rm FFing in the seat, it was noticeble but I didn't really double check as we really are no longer in the market for another convertible I don't think :(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'd guess at least 3 years RF and at least 5.5 years FF for average kids based on the CDC charts and what I've seen so far. My son is almost 5.5 and is near the limit FF, but he is above 75th percentile height and weight for his age.

jjordan

My 4.5 year old dd is overall a little shorter than average, but seems to have an average-length torso for her age (wears size 5 shirts). I recently tried her in a BV70 and she is just *at* the RF height limit. HTH!

Chila88

My DD will be 3 in Dec and has just outgrown it rf. However, she has always been off the charts for height, until recently when she came back on at 97%. So I would say for an average kid, 3 is a feasable rf goal for this seat. She still has tons of room ff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC