extended breastfeeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADS

Mama2J

Personally I think it depends on what both the mom and child are comfortable with. What seems long to me, may be fine to someone else. My 3 1/2 year old nursed until just a few months ago, and people thought we were extreme. But for us it was perfect. :)

mominabigtruck

Seeing that little girl bfing just really grossed me out. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I don't see bfing as any different then a bottle and I would certainly look down my nose at someone giving a 7 yo a bottle. I don't even feel comfortable with my 4.5yo seeing me naked because he's starting to realize differences between girls and boys and I think having a child that old bfing could have some serious issues down the road.

Momto1bigkiddo

I wasn't able to watch the video clip, but for me personally, I wouldn't breastfeed a 7 year old, that's for sure! A five year old......no *I* would not....but I can understand someone doing so with a 5 year old.

I breastfed my son until he was 30 months old (2 1/2 years). I only quit because I thought he had a fever blister/cold sore and I was afraid of getting that on my nipple. lol sorry tmi, I know. But! It turned out NOT to be a fever blister at all! It was a burn from hot food, but I was 2 days into not breastfeeding him and I didn't want to start over since it was a battle I was winning (he was a must-nurse-to-sleep kid).

But, if it hadn't been for that burn on his lip that I stupidly had mistaken for a herpes :rolleyes: , then yeah, I would have BFed until 3 years old I'm sure and that sounds NORMAL to me.. I could only imagine doing longer if my child was sick, forgive me for saying this, but if my child was ill with lukemia or a serious disease of some kind I would breastfeed if they wanted it (or pump for an older child) so they could recieve the health benifits.

My husband was breastfed until he was 4 1/2 years old!!! He is the smartest person I know, healthy, and is 6'11'' tall! LOL (though, his father his 6'5'' and he had a great-grandfather who was over 7'' tall and was a lumberjack in Maine, true story. lol).

No one in my family ever breastfed (even grandparents), I was the first. :thumbsup:

Sorry if I am off topic a little, I am in a good mood and chatty today. :p

momof2kiddos

Seeing that little girl bfing just really grossed me out. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I don't see bfing as any different then a bottle and I would certainly look down my nose at someone giving a 7 yo a bottle. I don't even feel comfortable with my 4.5yo seeing me naked because he's starting to realize differences between girls and boys and I think having a child that old bfing could have some serious issues down the road.

I couldn't of said it better myself.On kellymom.com there a few women BF there 5 year olds and it honestly makes my stomach turn.I am all for BF if that is what you want to do but I think after age 2 is just too long.But for ME and MYSELF only I would never bf past 1 year of age just like I wouldn't let me baby walk around with a bottle passed 1 year of age.But of course this is coming from a FF mom.It is just easier for me to FF then breast feed,I am full time college student,and I take 5 classes a semster so my nose is too busy in books to take time to pump...That's why my Dh has to hands two help out with feedings,lol.

ETA: I hope I don't offend anyone,like I said this is Just My Opinion,and what I feel comfortble with,but then again no one in my family BF either so FF is all I know.

Splash

I don't think five years is too long at all. Seven years... depends on kid, mom, and circumstances. I would certainly rather see a breast fed grade schooler than a formula fed infant, though.
I am sure plenty of people think it's wrong and disgusting of me to nurse Charlie, and I don't care a lick. My son knows what he needs and wants, and I am going to give it to him. He'll stop when he's ready to stop. If that is when he is two, or three, or six, so be it. I imagine that I will limit it at some point, say only at bed time or when sick. Even now I don't nurse him in public as often, mostly because he doesn't want it. However, if he did, I would think nothing of it. He's a baby, that's what babies do.
We forget that parent forced weaning is a pretty western concept, and toddlers and grade schoolers nursing is not abnormal in many parts of the world. Just because people here equate breasts with sex doesn't mean that that's the norm.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
OMG you mean you keep your kid rear facing past a year?!?!?!? You are so sick that you are depriving your child of being forward facing. Some things are just done too long, and that's one of them.

Riiiight.

My dd nursed until she was 4.5 years old. The WHO, AAFP, and MANY OTHER organizations recommend nursing for a *minimum* of two years.

Just as it's recommended to keep kids rear facing for a minimum of 1 year and 20 pounds -- MORE IS BETTER!

The health benefits of breastfeeding for MOTHER AND CHILD continue as long as the child is receiving breastmilk. The longer a woman lactates the less chance she has of developing breast and certain reproductive cancers.

My ds is 26 months and still nursing (and still rear facing OMG!) and he will be allowed to nurse until he weans himself, just as my dd was.

Breastfeeding and bottle feeding aren't even on the same planet. Breastfeeding is not only for nourishment, it's for immunities, as the human immune system isn't fully developed until 5-7 years. It's also for comfort. There is no such thing as the terrible twos in my home. My nursing toddlers are wonderful, smart & creative little creatures with very few temper tantrums. They are the Terrific Two's!!!

I think you need to get over whatever it is that makes you think it's gross, and keep your comments to yourself. You are not only rude, but offensive.

If you don't like it, then don't look!

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
Bethany nursed until she was just over 3.5yo. Weaning was a slow process but by the age of 2 or so she was just nursing when laying down to go to sleep and whenever she was seriously ill.

I have to say nursing a pukey/poopy kid is MUCH easier than trying to get them to keep down pedialyte!

I plan on nursing Ben (16mo) until one of us wants to stop.

Would I nurse a 7yo, probably not... but it isn't my place to question if another mom and child want to.

lovinwaves

I think the mother is the parent, and it is her choice.

She is doing a very natural thing with her children.

The one thing that stood out to me was the Father. It put a smile on my face to see how supportive he was to his wife for her desire to extend breastfeed. :)

broken4u05

When posting it i was not saying that is was wrong i more wanted to see how everyone felt about it. No i am not a mom yet so i do not know how i will feel when i do have a child and is nursing but right now i do not see myself doing it. Again i am not saying it is wrong i just wanted to see what everyone was thinking about it. O and i might FF my child some as well because i still want to go to school and i do not see myself being able to work go to school and pump all the time but again that might change when i have children as well.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
When posting it i was not saying that is was wrong i more wanted to see how everyone felt about it. No i am not a mom yet so i do not know how i will feel when i do have a child and is nursing but right now i do not see myself doing it. Again i am not saying it is wrong i just wanted to see what everyone was thinking about it. O and i might FF my child some as well because i still want to go to school and i do not see myself being able to work go to school and pump all the time but again that might change when i have children as well.

http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I think the mother is the parent, and it is her choice.

She is doing a very natural thing with her children.

The one thing that stood out to me was the Father. It put a smile on my face to see how supportive he was to his wife for her desire to extend breastfeed. :)

:yeahthat: I will nurse my son for as long as we are both comfortable with it. If that is 7, than so be it. I will be glad that he is getting healthy antibodies and protection from diseases. Why does our country get so freaked out by breastfeeding?

oxeye

I think my personal comfort level (for me and my children) is around 3 or 4. My older daughter weaned a few days before her third birthday with a little coaxing from me. She'd ask to nurse and I'd tell I needed to do something else first. Usually by the time I finished she had forgotten she wanted to nurse. If she still wanted to nurse, I'd let her but that didn't happen very often. ;)

She's funny, though. She's been weaned for 6 months now but will still ask to nurse when she gets sad. I've offered and she's tried but she has completely forgotten how at this point. That made me a little sad.

My 20 month old is still nursing, but only first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I'm going to drop the morning sesson soon and orginally had a goal to wean her by two. I'm starting medical school in 4 months and figured that would be a good time to be done. But now that it is closer, I think we will keep that last nursing session for quite a bit longer. I can't see going longer than 3 years again, though.

As far as what other parents do? I don't care. I don't care if a mom bottlefeeds, weans after one month, one year, 5 years, etc. It's their body and their children and they need to do what is right for them. I've come a long way, though. I used to not understand at all why someone wouldn't even try to breastfeed and now I just don't care. ;) And some people will nurse a lot longer than I could ever do, and that doesn't bother me either.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Depends on the child, the parent(s), extended family & culture.... Each one influences whether the child feels healthy about it or shameful. SHAME is most evil feeling -- it hurts to the core like nothing else. I see absolutely no shame in a family doing what is healthiest for itself: if the child & mother are comfortable with it, then there need be no shaming. Not by the other parent, extended family or culture as a whole. If the mother cannot keep the child safely immune to the shame inherent in unsupportive environments, then continuing to nurse a child in a way that could be damaging because of others is not the ideal. However, the true ideal is to stop this shaming attitude! Breasts do not need to be so readily associated with sex as we have been trained. Child led weaning beyond 4 years does not have to cause any shame for the child or mother when society accepts that it is not associated with anything sexual. Furthermore, relating shame with sex on this level merely reinforces the intensity of sexual abuse stigma in general....

Splash

Why does our country get so freaked out by breastfeeding?

Titties. Boobs. Boobies. Knockers. Headlights. Gazongas. Tits.

How often does society refer to a breast as a breast? Breasts are for sex and sex only in this country. Also, formula is so easily available, pushed by doctors and hospitals, even paid for by the government. Women are urged not to breast feed, not even to try it. We're backwards.

I can guarantee you that if AJ's family knew I nursed Charlie, there would be a massive uproar. Except from Sharon who would think it was wonderful (who also BF her youngest until just after five and pumped for him even longer, amidst major family resistance).

Mama2J

When posting it i was not saying that is was wrong i more wanted to see how everyone felt about it.

I understand completely. I've found that breastfeeding is a very controversial subject for moms on both sides. I have strong opinions on it myself, however I also believe that it is a personal decision for each mom to do what is best for her child.

As you said, it is hard to know what you would do when the time comes. Both my husband and I were FF, and no one in my family BF, so formula and bottles was all I knew about growing up. My son might not have been BF if I hadn't read about the incredible health benefits of it. It was an obvious decision for ME, but it is not for everyone, and I try to respect that.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/03/31/supply_and_deman
d/

Supply and demand

Evidence suggests more women are breast-feeding their children until they're
toddlers and older -- and they're not just earth-mother stereotypes

By Barbara F. Meltz, Globe Staff | March 31, 2007

On a recent Saturday evening, Ruth Tincoff and Bruce Inglehart of Wellesley
had a party for Gwen, their not-quite-5-year-old daughter. They served six
squealing girls squiggly pasta with red sauce and Gwen's favorite dessert --
vanilla cake with raspberry - and - lemon frosting. While the adults munched
on veggies and dip, the girls played dress-up.

Gwen's birthday is coming up in April, but this wasn't an early celebration.
This was Gwen's weaning party.

"Just before I cut the cake, I said, 'We are here to celebrate Gwen's
important decision.' Everybody already knew what it was, so that was pretty
much it," Tincoff says matter-of-factly.

Few children have weaning parties, let alone at such an advanced age. Even
though there is wide acceptance nowadays of nutritional and immunological
benefits of breast-feeding for infants, Americans, by and large, look
askance at mothers who nurse toddlers, preschoolers, or even kindergartners.
Anecdotal evidence suggests there are more of them than ever, however, and
they aren't just earth-mother types in Birkenstocks who homeschool their
children. Tincoff, for instance, works full time as a visiting assistant
professor at Wellesley College. She also had not expected to be nursing Gwen
until she was nearly 5.

"Gwen wasn't a big fan of eating," she says. At first, she stayed with it to
give Gwen the nutrition she needed. Then it became part of their
relationship and a way to comfort her daughter. "It helped Gwen to manage
her emotions. If she was cranky or had a tantrum, nursing helped restore
her," Tincoff says.

Figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and from Abbott
Labs' Ross Mothers Survey show a steady increase in the number of women who
initiate breast-feeding, from 57 percent in 1994 to 72 percent in 2005. Less
well-known is the gradual increase in the age at which breast-feeding stops.
In 1997, 26 percent of mothers were still nursing their babies at six
months; in 2005, 39 percent were. In 1997, 14.5 percent of mothers were
still breast-feeding at 12 months; by 2005, the number had climbed to 20
percent.

No one keeps count beyond 18 months, not even La Leche League International,
a lactation support system. Katherine Dettwyler , the nation's leading
breast-feeding researcher, says women who continue to nurse typically keep
quiet about it, sometimes even to family members, because the culture is so
biased against it.

"People say, 'Oh, he's going to think he's having sex with his mother!' "
she says. "Well, no. Only if you socialize him to think that way. This is a
biological process. Human beings are wired to naturally wean sometime after
2 1/2."

"Nursing an older child is no longer uncommon, but women know people today
tend to be judgmental and feel free to share their opinions," says Heather
Bingham of Arlington, a La Leche leader for nine years. Gail Levy, an
international board-certified lactation consultant with the Center for Early
Relationship Support at Jewish Family and Children's Services, says she sees
more women weaning after 12 months.

"We call these women 'closet nursers,' " says Dr. Ruth Lawrence , a
pediatrician who specializes in infant nutrition at the University of
Rochester. Lawrence, who chairs the American Academy of Pediatrics' section
on breast-feeding, helped write the academy's 2005 position statement that
reaffirms breast-feeding for at least a year and "beyond for as long as
mutually desired by mother and child." The World Health Organization's
recommendation, adopted in 1979, is for a minimum of two years.

Tincoff says she knows at least 10 women who are nursing preschoolers; all
the girls at Gwen's party had recently weaned or are still nursing. Amanda
Lappen of Jamaica Plain, who nurses her 19-month-old twins, says she knows
20 women who nurse children older than hers. Wendy Bosland of North
Attleborough, whose third child, Henry, stopped breast-feeding this winter
at 5 1/2, says she sees many more women now who nurse long term than 11
years ago when she nursed her first child.

Public health campaigns account for the increase in women who breast-feed,
says Lawrence. Those who stay with it, particularly beyond 18 months, tend
to be highly educated. "This is not a cult," she says. "It's about education
and learning that the benefits persist." Research shows that breast-feeding
provides continued protection against infection and allergies.

There is also the matter of the mother-child relationship. For a working
mother who is separated from her child all day, nursing in the morning and
at night is a loving way to reconnect, says Naomi Bar-Yam of the
Massachusetts Breastfeeding Coalition.

Bar-Yam points out that breast-feeding a 3-year-old is very different from
breast-feeding a 3-month-old. Nursing lasts only a few minutes instead of 20
or 30, and typically happens once or twice a day, not six or more times. An
advantage of nursing an older child is the ability to communicate. Mara Rest
of Wayland, who weaned her 5-year-old last August and still nurses her 2
1/2-year-old, likes that she can tell her son, "This isn't a good time. How
about when we get home?"

The ability to set boundaries on nursing is one characteristic of a healthy
nursing relationship, says Dr. Jane Morton, a pediatrician who is a clinical
professor at Stanford Medical School as well as a member of the AAP
breast-feeding section.

"There are no medical or psychological reasons not to nurse long term," she
says. "It's frowned on in the US because the breast has become so highly
sexualized." She says it's a myth to think that a child who nurses long term
will not develop autonomy.

There is not unanimous agreement on this. Some professionals support the
notion that breast-feeding beyond a certain point can create an unhealthy
dependency on the mother. But Texas psychologist Linda Sonna of the American
Psychological Association says there is growing recognition that it's best
to let the child determine when she's ready to wean. Many children "may not
be ready until 5, 6, or even later," says Sonna, who has written many
parenting books including "The Everything Toddler Book."

"There's no reason to think it is abnormal or pathological or sick," says
Nancy Holtzman , board-certified lactation consultant at Isis Maternity
parenting programs in Arlington, Brookline, and Needham.

Norma Jane Bumgarner, author of "Mothering your Nursing Toddler," says women
who experience hostility often are those who invite criticism. "Especially
with older children, a person has to think about what she wants to deal
with," she says.

Rest says she was very private about nursing because she sensed that even
her husband, Dan Balter, was a little squeamish. If that's true, Balter
says, he's over it now. Last week, when they were at a computer store, Rest
disappeared to a corner to discreetly nurse 2 1/2-year-old Joachim. Balter
didn't think twice about dragging the salesman over so they could ask her
opinion. "He didn't bat an eyelash, and neither did I," Balter says.

When long-term nursers wean, they usually do so gradually.

Last fall, Tincoff's bedtime nursing disappeared because she was teaching at
night, so Gwen and her father created a new bedtime ritual of bath and book.
Months later, when days might go by without the morning nursing, Tincoff
asked Gwen, "Do you want to be done with mama-milk? I'm OK with that if you
are." She was.

Contact Barbara Meltz at meltz@globe.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC