My 2 yr old wants to FF ACK

ownedbyhorses

My baby wants to FF in his brothers GN. I am so upset. I KNOW that it is a safety issue. I have Radians so my LOs can ERF. Well, it got so bad the other day. I ended up taking my son out of the car and kept him Home with me! He got so upset and flipped out, he puked. The other kids got to go, but he stayed home. I was trying to calm him down, but he was not having it. My 5yr old wants to ride in the Radian anyways, so I asked him if he would sit in it RFing. He said he would. He has 1" right now. It is cutting it really close. I am in hopes that this will help my 2yr old stop freaking out. Should I take the GN Out of the car and put another seat in RFing? Anyone had any luck with this? (Luckily my 5yr old is a bean pole @ 41Lbs.)
WWYD?
I just can't have my child freaking out so badly he throws up...KWIM?
Another thought I had was the fact that he was really sick recently and he ruptured his eardrum. He has another cold now on top of that, and his ear has not completely healed. Maybe it bothers him??? (I know he wants to be a big boy, but maybe this is adding to it???)
At a Loss!
TIA

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Since you have the option (I assume since you mentioned it), I would probably try putting all RF seats in. If there is no FF seat, maybe he'll just forget it. Try it for a few days and see what happens. If he keeps throwing a fit (hide the Nautilus), then you have a decision to make.
He would be much safer RF but is it worth cleaning up puke every time? If you do turn him, Maybe he'll start throwing a fit again once the newness wears off and this is more of a power struggle than anything.
Tough decision. Good luck, let us know what you decide and what works.

babyherder

I think your 2 yr probably still isn't feeling completely better after being sick. Which is probably contributing to the problem. Maybe with the ear issues and congestion he's feeling car sick???

I agree with lorismurph. Put all rf seats in for a while and hide the GN. See if that helps. Or maybe try putting your older child ff in a radian. Maybe its the GN your 2 yr old likes and not ff?

autumnlily

This goes against all child passenger safety recommendations. So, I say it with the notion - it is frowned upon, but you have the right to make this parental decision.

I just purchased and put a rear facing mirror on the seat for my 2.5 year olds. Yes, it will be a projectile in a crash. I "reassure" myself that my seats are rear facing which is so much safer at 2 years old AND I'm using Radian/Britax seats that have rear facing tether installed.

Again, using a mirror is not recommended. Please inform yourself of the risks and then make your decision.

I was having a month of horrific screaming, blooding noses, throwing of shoes or toys in hands, and did I mention the shrieking :(. I was literally crying myself during trips. The mirrors - while not a fix it all (especially because my twin with the fits WAS sick) has helped tremendously!

emtb79

I dont know about you but Ive had my ear drum burst and it threw off my equailibrium for about 2 weeks.My ear drum burst while driving and almost caused me to have an accident. It may very well be that he doesnt know how to say "sitting backwards makes me sick". I dont know if turning him FF would help either. Because until my ear drum was completely healed just turning my head one way or the other too fast made me nauseous.

sunnymw

I've let my 2yo ride FFing (at just two years old exactly) for a few rides when the battle of wills just wasn't worth it. But it was a novelty and it wore off quickly. The more I fought it the more he wanted to do it. If I just obliged a few times he didn't care anymore.

ownedbyhorses

I did take the GN out of the car and installed another seat in the middle. (where the GN was) I went out to the car with my son and asked him where he wanted to sit. He picked the middle seat. Now I could be Wrong, but it seems like he wants to sit in the middle. He picked the middle seat. No fuss! YAY. However, my 5yr old wants his GN back, LOL. He rode RFing yesterday. It was so funny...Mommy, where are we? He could not see where we were going. I will find out what happens when I put the GN back in. I am debating putting it in booster mode. My son does sit still, and rides in a booster on occasion in my MILs car. Very short rides. So, that will be the test. I am going to install the GN outboard. It has always been in the middle. I know he is safer FF in the middle seat. I will just take a short ride and see if he wants that GN, or if he wants to be in the middle seat. Luckliy, I live in the country and not alot of traffic at all. So, later today or tomorrow, we will see what happens.
Thank you ladies for all the help! :thumbsup:
I will keep you updated on what happens.
Thanks again.

henrietta

I am just going to sympathize...I have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old. My 2 yr old started battling over where he sits and how recently. Add to that our 5 yr old w/Aspergers throwing tantrums and kicking his little brother in the face as hard as he can, the 2 yr old outgrowing every seat we have rearfacing, and me struggling to get him buckled in rearfacing (physically, it's hard for me to fight him b/c of problems w/my hands), and I'm done. I know rearfacing is safest, and I prefer to keep him that way. Our 5 yr old rearfaced till 3.5 yrs old, aside from a few months while I was pregnant and couldn't lift him up, so I'm plenty used to it. But we're done now. I can't afford another seat to keep our 2 yr old rearfacing, and I can't deal w/the distraction of them fighting in the car. So, he's in a new Blvd (replacement seat for a steal) forward facing and top tethered.

Good luck to you! I hope it's just a typical 2 yr old making a stand, and that you'll be able to keep him rearfacing as he feels better!

ownedbyhorses

Well, I put the GN back in the car yesterday in booster mode. My 2yr old FLIPPED out again. I had it outboard. It actually does not really fit well in booster because it is really hard to buckle. After picking up my 5yr old, I came back to the house and switched it out for the HB Turbobooster. My 2yr old still flipped out. I had to go pick up my DD at this time...He was crying and almost threw up again. Oh My!
I don't know what round we are on for switching out carseats, LMAO! But, again, I switched them. I put one of the radians FF for my 5yr old. and I put the other 2 RFing. We went to the store last night and he pointed to the FF seat a couple xs but did not flip out. So, I hope this lasts.
There is the big update. For now he is RFing, and I hope to keep him this way as long as possible.
Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC