Thinking Probiotics

Mom2nj

We are new to the whole Probiotics thing, but after knowing that my whole family has been exposed to Rotovirus this week.:eek:

My 10 week, 10lb niece, who was here Sunday - Tuesday was give Rodateq, a immunization for Rotavirus, that uses live strains, on Firday. On Monday she started with Diarrhea, had a fever Monday Night. I don't know what her Peds office was thinking, the little girl has no reserve, it's taken her 10 weeks to gain a little over 2 lbs... anyway, it makes me mad. They went to the Doctors ofc yesterday and confirmed both Mom and Baby have the virus, So I was thinking adding a probiotic might be a good idea. Any suggestions on what to get, what would be the easiest for the kids to take they are 2 and 4. Thanks.

ADS

groovymom2000

My kids take Nature's Way Primadophilus Kids--it's a chewable tablet. It comes in an orange flavor and a cherry one---they like the cherry better.
It's in the refrigerated section of our health food stores. They are almost 3 and 6.
Rotovirus is awful! We had it back in November---not fun. Good luck, and maybe you won't get it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Well, there's good news and bad news. No advice on the probiotics, but can tell you that the rotavirus is from the vaccine your niece was given. It's a live virus vaccine, and can cause rotavirus symptoms in some vaccine recipients. It is also shed in stool for around 2 weeks so it is contagious the same way as if you got rotavirus through someone you knew.

The good news is - it's probably vaccine strain rotavirus which isn't quite as severe. And rotavirus is spread fecal-oral route only. So while it is a very contagious virus, you have to get virus from the stool and then get it into your mouth in order to get infected. Good hand washing and sanitizing diaper change areas might prevent you guys from getting sick at all.

You may want to tell your SIL to not let your niece get anymore of the rotateq series. Some kids get the symptoms after each shot - fun, huh? Dealing with "mild" rotavirus 3 times in order to hopefully not deal with the "real" thing for the next 5 yrs tops. :whistle:

Mom2nj

I spoke with her yesterday and she said she wasn't going to get anymore of the vaccination. We were pretty vigilant on cleaning up the changing table and washing hands. So heres to hoping ;) The other kids were not on the table so, hopefully they are safe. Our concern is she is so tiny, she has absolutly no reserves, very slow to gain weight. Good thing is, as of yesterday she was still taking her fomula, it was going right through her, but still has an appetite.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC