On Board - Target version quick question

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It is difficult to answer this because there have been a number of onBoard versions. The only one nearly certain to fit many preemies is the onBoard Air. It fits the 4 pound preemie doll pretty well overall, about as good as the Chicco Keyfit or Britax Chaperone (with infant insert).

The onBoard models that are listed as starting from 4 pounds have a reasonable chance to fit a preemie if you adjust the crotch strap as directed. The models do vary in regard to the much nicer premium base and the number of infant inserts they provide, so a rolled receiving blanket might be necessary. I would not recommend the Target or other onBoard models rated with a 5-pound minimum for a preemie.

cookie123

Why specifically not, because I am not going to get this family to buy a car seat for $170 no matter how good I say it is. They don't want to buy a car seat at all.:eek:

ETA: Besides the fact that she's not 5 lbs, of course.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I deal with A LOT of preemies and low income families. Of course I'd never advise them to purchase a 5-lb seat for a 4-lb baby, BUT if you had to choose between any seat readily purchased at Target, Walmart, or BabiesRUS that was under $130, I'd definitely go with the $99 5-lb OnBoard of which you speak. That's the only 'inexpensive' seat that even remotely has a chance of fitting a 4-lb baby. I've put a BARELY 5-lb baby in one of the Target models and they fit very well.
Good luck. It's never easy dealing with people who don't understand what you're trying to tell them! :hitselfonhead:

swtgi1982

i have a target model on board and my DD has put her tiny and I do mean tiny bear in it, much smaller then a preemie and could barely not get the harness tight enough. It was real close to being a good tight fit. Can post pictures when I get it put back together in the morning. It is hanging to dry right now

cookie123

Thanks guys. I'm praying they will spring for the On Board. They really want to get their seat at Walmart and were going on and on about how baby would be 5 lbs in a week. I explained why baby probably wouldn't fit in most 5 lbs seats even at 5 lbs, etc. Baby is going home tomorrow.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks guys. I'm praying they will spring for the On Board. They really want to get their seat at Walmart and were going on and on about how baby would be 5 lbs in a week. I explained why baby probably wouldn't fit in most 5 lbs seats even at 5 lbs, etc. Baby is going home tomorrow.

According to Dorel, all onBoard models are supposed to be rated to 4 pounds now, though they still vary in terms of inserts and padding. If this is true, any 5 pound versions are probably slightly older stock.

By the way, if they have Costco, this is the older 4 pound version with all the inserts http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11333143 .

mamajava

Senior Community Member
We bought 2 onboards. Same as the Target version, but I ordered them from the Safety 1st store cause I wanted a specific pattern.

The boys were barely 5 pounds when they did their carseat tests and it fit them awesome. They are now 2 months old and now weigh 8 pounds and I just moved the harness up to the 2nd slots. It's a great seat for little ones.

autumnlily

There is the Graco Snugride 30 (new) and sold at Burlington Coat Factory (Baby Depot) as a stand alone seat (not in travel system) for around $120. It should be at Babies R Us - soon - as a stand alone purchase. The crotch strap isn't as perfect as the OnBoard preemie seat... but it is rated for 4lb babies AND is a better fit than a seat rated for a 5lb baby.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Judi had trouble tightening the 5 lbs. version's harness enough on a tiny one.

If they have to use a 5 lb. seat that's less than $100, it would be one to consider-- but so would the Designer which has super low slots and gets super teeny...

I agree I'd go for the SR30 if you can.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't know if the manuals for the 4lb and 5lb versions vary, but the key to fitting the 4 lb. preemie doll in the 4lb. version of the onBoard is routing the crotch strap through both slots, as described in the manual. If you simply use the closest slot as you normally would, the harness will remain slightly loose.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC