Car seat friendly?

ADS

amyd

We had one of those for DS. It was perfect for the car seat. I think we used it when it was quite cold (like dead of winter in Canada cold), with a blanket over top, of course, and long sleeves/pants underneath. With lighter clothes underneath and no blanket, we could have used it early fall (so like mid-40s), I think.

FLmom

We had that last winter and used it on the coldest of days here when it was freezing...well freezing for us. It was in the 30s and 40s. Worked great and it's definitely VERY warm.

Cryssy Jane

I had one of those for S last year when she was about 6 months old. Great for carseats. I put her in a long sleeved onesie and baby legs then put this over. We did it that way for fall (40-50s) then when it got really cold (30s) we'd layer a little more and put a blanket over in the car seat. I bought the big kids old navy's fleece hoodies this year for car seats as well.

tl01

So where we live it doesn't get super cold but I'm thinking it might be good for DS2 during the winter when we are watching DS1 play outside. Hopefully it won't be too hot. Great news that it can be used in the car.

huimeilei

I'm glad to hear that these are safe. The tech when I had my seat checked last year told me that I shouldn't let him wear it. I looked at him like he was insane, but decided not to argue. Really, I still don't understand what he thinks my son should wear out in the car in the middle of winter then. It's Boston! It's COLD! He can't just go out in a onesie. It's not a puffy jacket. Bleh!:(

Mae

I'm glad to hear that these are safe. The tech when I had my seat checked last year told me that I shouldn't let him wear it. I looked at him like he was insane, but decided not to argue. Really, I still don't understand what he thinks my son should wear out in the car in the middle of winter then. It's Boston! It's COLD! He can't just go out in a onesie. It's not a puffy jacket. Bleh!:(

The general rule is -- If you have to loosen the harness straps to buckle baby in, the jacket is too thick.

Fleece is a great alternative, very warm and still thin.

Before you add any jackets/coats, you just want to do the coat check by following these steps:

- Put your child in article of clothing that you are testing, buckle and tighten the harness appropriately.
- Take child out of the car seat without loosening the harness.
- Put child in regular day to day clothing, place into car seat and buckle up -- without tightening the harness.
- If there is too much slack in the harness, then that particular clothing item is not allowed. If there is no extra slack, you're good!

You can still use a coat in the car, you would just have to use the coat trick. I find this to be much easier if you have a coat with a removeable hood or no hood at all, for the reasoning that hoods can push their heads forward. If it doesn't have a hood, then it doesn't push their heads forward, and it also doesn't have access bulk behind them, causing them to become uncomfortable.

Here is a great video to show you how to utilize the Coat Trick. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTVPqn0aR8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - A safer way to wear a winter coat in a car seat[/ame]

Last edited:

gigi

My son doesn't wear jackets at all in the car (he's 3.5 now so it isn't as big of a deal), but really that rule isn't all that clear to me when real winter is involved. Maybe someone could clarify for me how a kid can wear normal winter clothes (like a sweater and fleece coat) and still use the same strap setting as they would with just a t-shirt on? I feel like I've always done something wrong :)

I have a hard time buckling my sons straps when he's wearing a regular sized cotton sweater or thin sweatshirt with the same strap setting he wears when he's in a t-shirt. And I'd for sure never get one of those big sherpa lined sweatshirts people seem to think are okay...so I always found it a bit confusing. Polar fleece jacket and a sweater would never be able to be buckled in to his straps...but that is barely warm enough for a 30 degree day...never mind a 5 degree day!

I think it is very much a parental decision. When my son was a baby I used a Patagonia Puffball (despite the name it is SUPER thin and super warm) b/c it took up less strap space than a sweater, but at the same time normal winter clothes are a sweater and a jacket...so no way he could wear both in his straps. He just got cold, but I tried to make due.

Now he's just used to being cold until he gets buckled in lol.

featherhead

My son doesn't wear jackets at all in the car (he's 3.5 now so it isn't as big of a deal), but really that rule isn't all that clear to me when real winter is involved. Maybe someone could clarify for me how a kid can wear normal winter clothes (like a sweater and fleece coat) and still use the same strap setting as they would with just a t-shirt on? I feel like I've always done something wrong :)

I have a hard time buckling my sons straps when he's wearing a regular sized cotton sweater or thin sweatshirt with the same strap setting he wears when he's in a t-shirt. And I'd for sure never get one of those big sherpa lined sweatshirts people seem to think are okay...so I always found it a bit confusing. Polar fleece jacket and a sweater would never be able to be buckled in to his straps...but that is barely warm enough for a 30 degree day...never mind a 5 degree day!

I think it is very much a parental decision. When my son was a baby I used a Patagonia Puffball (despite the name it is SUPER thin and super warm) b/c it took up less strap space than a sweater, but at the same time normal winter clothes are a sweater and a jacket...so no way he could wear both in his straps. He just got cold, but I tried to make due.

Now he's just used to being cold until he gets buckled in lol.

I totally agree with you. I think loosening the straps a tiny bit is just fine, especially when it gets down to -30 or -40. You need a lot of layers! I wouldn't use anything puffy, but two shirts, a sweater, and a fleece (mine are double layer fleece) and you're going to have to loosen the straps a tiny bit.

smackeen

I have that same outfit, and though I have not yet tried it, I think it may mean the straps have to be loosened a smidgen. Definitely no thicker than a zip up B.U.M sweater.

msg221

I had one of those for S last year when she was about 6 months old. Great for carseats. I put her in a long sleeved onesie and baby legs then put this over. We did it that way for fall (40-50s) then when it got really cold (30s) we'd layer a little more and put a blanket over in the car seat. I bought the big kids old navy's fleece hoodies this year for car seats as well.

Did you find them to be true to size or maybe go up a size to accomodate clothes underneath?

I would love to get this for my great niece in Providence. Just waiting for a sale!

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I totally agree with you. I think loosening the straps a tiny bit is just fine, especially when it gets down to -30 or -40. You need a lot of layers! I wouldn't use anything puffy, but two shirts, a sweater, and a fleece (mine are double layer fleece) and you're going to have to loosen the straps a tiny bit.

I agree. And I think there is a difference in a puffy jacket that will compress in a crash vs fleece which is denser and compresses less.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC