Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Used van

Used van

I am (hopefully) getting rid of my Civic in the next few months and getting a used van instead but I have no idea where to start.

What I am looking for:

--as many top tethers as possible (I am in canada)
    --2000-2006
    --Up to $6000
    --Captains chairs in 2nd row
    --Good in snowy, extreme cold weather
    --Carseats I currently have (Marathon, Radian, Scenera, Snugride 32, Turbobooster)

Help me find something please that will work. I have owned 2 Dodge Caravans (96 & 99) and though they are not my favorite, I don't know what the newer ones are like.
    Last edited by cdncasper; 10-17-2010 at 12:18 AM.

April
    mommy to K, 5 years, 41.5 lbs, 44 inches, harnessed in a Britax Frontier CT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: Used van

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar and there are top tethers in ALL the seats, including the drivers, and LATCH. Mine has the short bench in the middle, been trying to find bucket seats for the longest.

Happy hunting.

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

I also have a Windstar. Mine's a 2003. Has tethers all seats except driver's. Captain's chairs in 2nd row. Power sliding doors. I paid $5000 in Feb. No idea how it would do in snow. Not sure if vans are the same here as in Canada. We've had no real problems with it, just some strange electrial issue that they don't know the cause of that makes the lights flash inside sometimes while driving.

Senior Community Member

I got some really good snow tires and it actually improved snow and ice driving, a lot.

How is the gas mileage?

April
    mommy to K, 5 years, 41.5 lbs, 44 inches, harnessed in a Britax Frontier CT

Senior Community Member

On the highway easily get 400, but inthe city about 200, but that's my car.

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

I get 300-350 miles per tank. I think I worked it out to about 14 mpg, but I don't remember for sure.

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

We had a 2007 Ford Freestar SEL that I really liked. Not sure if it falls into the price range that you are looking for but Fords tend to drop their value quickly as soon as you drive off the lot.
    Ours had power door/hatch/leather/bucket seats in second row and a DVD player. 3 top tethers and my Radian and Marathon was a breeze to install.

It was fairly good in our extreme winter conditions but I suspect that better winter tires would have improved performance on my towns crazy hills. Advance Trac helped out quite bit. Since I switched over to AWD though I will never I buy another car without it. If I recall correctly it had a very good safety rating.

We had a 2005 Freestar for a few months but I only drove it once so cannot compare how it was to the 2007.
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats