Should I be concerned?

karlatta

I have two Maestros (9/10, so not part of the recall). Today when DH was buckling the kids in the car, he suddenly looked at me and said, "Um, what's this?" and held up the crotch strap to one of the seats. With next to no effort, he had somehow completely removed it from the seat.

I went and put it in and pulled on it a million different ways to make sure it was in there securely, but I am kind of concerned. I know that theoretically, if the harness is tight, it should stay where it's supposed to, right? But if it came out in my DH's hand with him just buckling the kids in normally, how secure is it really? I don't like the idea of any part of my kid's car seat coming apart with such little effort. It's only done this once, but the seats have only been used a handful of times (they're spares for DH's car).

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I noticed mine just seemed to have a lot of play and seemed to be easy to get out if I really wanted to or it turned just right.

If I were you, I'd just check and double check and be certain every time you buckle that it is secure by pulling up on it hard.

I'd probably also call Evenflo as well.

Hope it doesn't happen again!

tiggercat

I would not be comfortable using that seat. A harness adjustor should never come off in your hand. Contact Evenflo, and possibly file a complaint with NHTSA.

ETA, I just reread your post, what exactly came off of the seat?

fyrfightermomma

I would not be comfortable using that seat. A harness adjustor should never come off in your hand. Contact Evenflo, and possibly file a complaint with NHTSA.

ETA, I just reread your post, what exactly came off of the seat?

Not sure if it was a typo on your part, but it was the crotch strap (like if you were to take it out to change crotch strap positions), not the harness adjustor according to OP

Either way, yeah it's weird and I'd call. But I know mine seems super easy to take out so I just make darn sure everytime it's fully engaged. I do like this seat so much that I wish it didnt' have so many problems!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I would do all of the above, and tape underneath so that sucker doesn't slide.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I noticed the holes for the crotch strap on the Maestro are larger - I was actually pleased, it was so much easier to switch them.

As long as it's buckled tight enough, it can't slip out; even with the larger hole, it still has to be turned sideways and tilted to come out.

tiggercat

Not sure if it was a typo on your part, but it was the crotch strap (like if you were to take it out to change crotch strap positions), not the harness adjustor according to OP

Either way, yeah it's weird and I'd call. But I know mine seems super easy to take out so I just make darn sure everytime it's fully engaged. I do like this seat so much that I wish it didnt' have so many problems!

Oh, good. For some reason I read it as if the adjustor mechanism was what came out. The crotch strap isn't nearly as scary for me. Yeah, a piece of tape underneath to hold it flat would be fine.

mytwobugs

I would do all of the above, and tape underneath so that sucker doesn't slide.

I have taped both of mine but for a different reason. I was having problems with the strap and clip rotating 180 degrees so that the release button faced the child instead of out and was tired of twisting it back with a kiddo sitting in it and it always happened when I was in a hurry. I agree the slot seems larger than most seats and that is probably what allows it to twist around so easily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC