Travelling to Japan - Bubblebum?

mom2dandh

Does anyone know what the regulations for boosters are in Japan. We are hoping to travel to Okinawa next summer. My daughter will be almost 9 when we travel, we won't be renting a car & most travel will be by bus or monorail, however I don't feel right about not taking any kind of booster just in case.

What do you think of the idea of taking a Bubblebum. My Dad will be travelling to Ireland next month & could bring one back for me (I believe thats where they are made). Would this be legal to use in Japan, I know I can't use it here in Canada, it would only be for the trip.

Sorry to ramble on, my other alternative would be to take the Clek Oto we have as a spare seat. Thanks for any input, I love you guys.

Emma

ADS

babyherder

I'm not sure I'd use a bubblebum. I'm not saying its unsafe but I'm just not sure I'm personally comfortable with it. However, I would so get one if I had the chance! Its like the best name for a booster ever!

TerisBoys

There's the Sitsac too. IMO, it looks more substantial to me. And it could be used as your DD's carryon so you know how it's handled on the plane and such.

mom2dandh

Thanks, I'd never heard of the Sitsac before. It looks cool, but at a price of 50 POUNDS which would be about $90 Canadian dollars, plus shipping, it seems a bit pricey for a 2 week vacation. I guess I'll have to give it some more thought. It is unlikely that we will use whatever we take so I want it to be as hassle free as possible.

Bubblebum's website says that they are undergoing testing for the North American market, any info or even gossip on this?

Any other ideas? Thanks so much, Emma

selinajean

A couple of internet searches have brought up info stating that child seats are mandatory for children 6 and under. Now, even if that was the law here we would know and do better and still use appropriate seating beyond that minimum.

My only thought regarding this is: Are seat belts in Japanese cars still made to fit the average adult American male or are they designed to fit the average Japanese male? Japanese men tend to be shorter (and from what I have seen, thinner) than their American counterparts and I am wondering if this plays in to seat belt design. If so, one would think that your child may actually fit the belt properly. I am just thinking out loud here and have NOTHING to back up these ramblings. Just putting it out there in hopes that someone in the know can comment on that.

If it were me, I would bring the Clek. It is small enough to easily transport. I wouldn't spend money on a new booster and I personally would not trust an inflatable booster seat.

jasminegrl

car-seats and boosters are required up until age 4, if you are going to be using mostly buses and trains I honestly wouldn't bother with a seat for a 9 year old. Seats here are made for the average japanese person, which means they should work well her.

jasminegrl

A couple of internet searches have brought up info stating that child seats are mandatory for children 6 and under. Now, even if that was the law here we would know and do better and still use appropriate seating beyond that minimum.

My only thought regarding this is: Are seat belts in Japanese cars still made to fit the average adult American male or are they designed to fit the average Japanese male? Japanese men tend to be shorter (and from what I have seen, thinner) than their American counterparts and I am wondering if this plays in to seat belt design. If so, one would think that your child may actually fit the belt properly. I am just thinking out loud here and have NOTHING to back up these ramblings. Just putting it out there in hopes that someone in the know can comment on that.

If it were me, I would bring the Clek. It is small enough to easily transport. I wouldn't spend money on a new booster and I personally would not trust an inflatable booster seat.
cars and everything in them are made for the japanese, even vehicles that they import into the US such as the Odessey are totally different, much much smaller. The person we bought my husbands car from let his kids ride in the back seat of the car without boosters and they were 4 and 5 i believe and the seat belts fit them wonderfully. So I would assume that at 9 she will fit fine in just about everything you will come across. Plus buses will probably have lap only belts if any and aren't they a no-no with boosters.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Agreed--the 9 year old will pass the 5-step test in Japanese market vehicles. We're seeing a lot of these vehicles in Canada these days since they're exempt from the RIV program at 15 years old.

-N.

selinajean

cars and everything in them are made for the japanese, even vehicles that they import into the US such as the Odessey are totally different, much much smaller. The person we bought my husbands car from let his kids ride in the back seat of the car without boosters and they were 4 and 5 i believe and the seat belts fit them wonderfully. So I would assume that at 9 she will fit fine in just about everything you will come across. Plus buses will probably have lap only belts if any and aren't they a no-no with boosters.

Agreed--the 9 year old will pass the 5-step test in Japanese market vehicles. We're seeing a lot of these vehicles in Canada these days since they're exempt from the RIV program at 15 years old.

-N.

Wow! My ramblings actually made sense! :D

mom2dandh

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts & suggestions. I never thought that the seatbelts might fit differently there. I think I'll just wait & see how tall she is before we leave, & take the Oto if I think she might still need it. I guess I wanted to HAVE to buy a Bubblebum, I still think they are cool, lol.
Emma

E

Emilytw88

Hi Emma, i am wondering did you ended up brought the BubbleBum inflatable booster seat for your daughter to use in Okinawa, Japan? Is it legal to use there? We are planning to take our 4 years old to Okinawa in Nov this year! And will be renting a car. Since i've bought the booster seat already, i am wondering do i still need to rent a 3 points harness car seat from the rental car company? Can you please let us know? Thanks in afvanced. -Emily

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
This thread is 7 years old; you may not get answers from the OP.

No US seats are legal in Japan (for non US service members) as far as I know, but it's far better to use a seat you know (with instructions in a language you speak) than try to acquire and understand a Japanese seat.

You shouldn't use a rental seat with unknown history, stats or instructions; I don't think they have 3 point harnesses though (good- 5 points are much safer.)

However 4 is a bit young for a booster. Make sure your child is within the weight and height requirements and can sit properly- you'll want to practice at home to be sure, even experienced booster riders need practice with the BubbleBum. If you find the child can't manage it or doesn't meet the minimums you may want to look at a Ride Safer Travel Vest instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC