Are you comfortable using a MA forward facing??

Are you comfortable using a MA forward facing??

• Yes, I'm entirely comfortable; it is safe to use this way.

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • No, absolutely not; it gives me the willies.

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Maybe, in some extreme situation, but not really happy with it.

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters

diaperjoys

This is the older MA that I'm thinking of, not the brand-new-on-the-market version. A year or so ago I read some info that made me uncomfortable with the idea of forward facing use. But I haven't followed the discussion, and it seems to have died down now. As far as I know it hasn't been recalled by Britax that way. I'm assuming it is a parental choice issue. So I'm wondering...are you comfortable using it forward facing, or, once rear facing use had exhausted itself, would you sell and purchase something different for forward facing use??

Thanks!

ADS

karlatta

I have never used mine FF, and I probably won't. The stuff you're talking about plays a small part, but I've always disliked FF seats that sit up on a base. I like them to be lowwr. It feels safer to me and it's easier for them to get in and out on their own. When my last kid is done RF in the Marathon, I'll give it to someone else to use.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as it's tethered I have no concerns about its safety. However, I personally don't LIKE it FF (sits too high, adjuster is a pain), so I would prefer a different seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For my own kid, I won't use the old Britax seats FF if I have another safe choice. I think it's definitely safer than a booster for a 3 year old. I think there are some other situations where I might use it. But I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Luckily I have lots of safe choices. :)

glockchick

I don't particularly like it, but I'm trying to be ok with it as it is the best solution in my truck.

In fact, I started a thread just like this not so long ago. ;)

The MA works best for the older kids to sit next to because of the base. This allows for more hip room and shoulder room for the passengers on the side than a carseat that is flush with the vehicle seat. So I use it. Untethered even. ;) I called Britax and they said it was fine and passed all tests untethered and is perfectly safe.

emandbri

I have used mine FFing once since the TC report came out and that was when I locked my keys in my van and a friend drove me home to get them and there wasn't time to get back to the van before getting Elizabeth from school.

firemomof3

For my own kid, I won't use the old Britax seats FF if I have another safe choice. I think it's definitely safer than a booster for a 3 year old. I think there are some other situations where I might use it. But I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Luckily I have lots of safe choices. :)

I feel the same way.

Aurezalia

:yeahthat:

Holly

I have a FPSVD FFing in my dh's truck that both my 5 year old and almost 4 year old ride in about once or sometimes twice a week. It's installed tightly with a locking clip and is tethered and there is no airbag on the passenger's side (the seat is as far back as it can go too). I am comfortable with it that way, I don't worry about their safety while riding in it at all.

It would not be my first choice as their regular seat FFing but only because I've used it that way before and it's harder to get them in or for them to climb in on their own. I'm used to the low profile of the Radians and I prefer that because my dd's can get in by themselves and can almost completely buckle up all on their own too.
I do LOVE the britax seats (or anything with a high base) for RFing though. My ds is RFing in a RA50 and it's easier for me to get him in because I don't have to bend down much to buckle him in.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
So I use it. Untethered even. ;) I called Britax and they said it was fine and passed all tests untethered and is perfectly safe.

Do you have the ability to have tether anchors installed? I can't pull up the numbers right now, but from what I recall, the Britax convertibles have very high head excursion numbers (to the extent that I seem to remember one of the seats failing that category, but being given a pass anyway.) There are some seats I'd be ok using untethered. The Britax convertibles are not among them.

glockchick

Theoretically. :rolleyes:

I should be able to get the strap that goes between the cargo anchors, but I can't find a part number online and the dealerships I've called are clueless. :( I've spoken to all the local ones and even had a couple nice service guys call all over the place trying to find it. I either get told it's not available for my vehicle, it's been discontinued, or they say they have it and then it's not the part I need.

I thought I finally had a solution to all my tether anchor needs, but then the parts came in and it wasn't what the dealership had described at all. It was just the things to buckle into the 3rd row seat belts which won't do me a dang bit of good since I need those belts for other kids. :thumbsdown:

I drive a '99 Suburban like the OP so if anyone has the part number for that strap, I'd be extremely grateful. I've considered getting another seat for that position, but I really need the narrow footprint of the MA for the other kids to have space to sit properly. Both the GN and FR are too wide and a RN won't install properly. I'm not sure what else is recommended for an almost 40 lb forward facer that's narrow enough for two almost adult sized boys to sit next to in a narrow 3rd row.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not use it untethered.

Otherwise, I don't care for it FFing. I don't believe it's UNSAFE, but I would prefer to use something else. However, if I had a 36# 3yo and a MAClassic and a Turbobooster, I'd use the MA.

amyd

This, as long as it was tethered.

mytwobugs

My answer: "Maybe, in some extreme situation, but not really happy with it."

Such as the Maestros I have are now recalled and I don't have much of a choice except to use the FPSVD. GRRRRR. I think I would feel better about using it if DS2 weighed less and one of the cars wasn't a civic.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC