Question Tech's Opinions Please - Maestro Recall

Kayleen

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm a tech, but I'm not an engineer. I don't know that my opinion is any more important than anyone else's in this case, since I'm not privy to any information other than what's on YouTube and Evenflo's website.

Recalls always seem scary, even when they're not. (Sometimes seats are recalled over rather silly details, or for reasons that aren't safety related.) This one, though, seems to be legitimate and serious.

As for the fix...I don't know. I've watched the Consumer Reports video several times, and the Evenflo "fix" video a couple times. I think I understand how the plate would reinforce that area, but I wonder if it would just spread the forces to a different part of the seat instead. And maybe it does, but as long as it keeps the harness in place, maybe that doesn't matter.

I *assume* this fix has been tested. I *assume* Evenflo wouldn't set itself up for further problems down the line.

My feelings on it are mixed.

Do I think the plate solves the problem? I believe it probably does.

Would I, as a mom, feel comfortable with it? No, I probably wouldn't.

I know that sounds contradictory, and it is. Sometimes things just don't "feel" right even when we have no contradicting information.

Bottom line: If I owned that seat, I would not continue to use it in harnessed mode. I also wouldn't fault anyone who did (after installing the fix, of course).

fyrfightermomma

I own a recalled one. And I own zero spare seats. So I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do

I'm going to play with the "fix" and I guess go on feelings. I do understand how it's supposed to work. It would make it impossible to crack right there (pretty much) and even if it did, the metal can't give and the harness adjuster thingy wouldn't be able to pull through the crack cause the metal won't give the same. I explained that horribly. Before the plastic would crack, and the adjuster would pull through the seat. Now with the fix, if it cracks, there is a metal thingy covering it so I don't see how the adjuster could fit through.

So I get it. I get how it fixes it. Do I feel comfortable with it? I'm not sure. I have no clue what to do. I don't have a ton of money for another seat. I have like 40 bucks coming from my CCO I sold after paying to ship it and another seat and that's it.

So as a tech, I have no clue.

amyd

I feel the same as Jennie about it. As a tech, when I encounter a parent with a recalled Evenflo, I will of course encourage them to get the kit. I probably wouldn't put my son in one, though. To be completely honest, I'd don't care for Evenflo seats (not for safety reasons), so probably will never own one anyway.

Shanora

I'm in the same boat as Qarin. Thats the first thing I thought of when I seen you turn the seat over and step on it to install the Fix.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I just... yeah, there's no way to know.

I do find myself concerned about a repair which involves parents turning the seat over and stepping on it!
I initially thought the same thing about stepping on the seat, but then someone reminded me that Evenflo would have to send out a separate tool if they didn't have a simple step like stepping on the seat. So, foolish as it looks, it accomplishs the purpose of applying the fix for less cost and as quickly as possible.

glockchick

What's to keep that little piece for slipping over time from the normal vibration of the vehicle or something?

I prefer my parts screwed in or otherwise secured, not just slipped on tyvm.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Can someone link the Consumer Reports Video?

post #35

To answer the OP:
I own 2, they are my main seats for DH's car... I took them out and put the 2 Marathons I own in there.... not sure I will put them back after I repair them... Might keep them as my spares to wait and see if they recall them again...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC