Vent I hope this baby is never in an accident

mumof2

on a facebook fan page a mother was asking about whether she should turn her 6.5 month old 6kg((13lb) baby foward facing. she says that her baby has good head control

the minimum you can turn a baby in the carseat she has is 8kgs(18lbs).

so about 3-4 of us were explaining that her baby is too little to forward face and that having good neck control does not mean a baby should be forward facing and that she should keep her bab rearfacing to the limit of the carseat 12kgs (26lbs). this woman then goes on about squashed legs and we say that basically it is easier to fix a broken leg than a broken neck. I then point her to the Joels Journey website , and she then says that their seats (aussie) are much safer than USA seats. hmm well it would not have mattered which country the accident happened the outcome would have been the same. a carseat is safe as long as it is used correctly and having a 6kg baby in a forward facing carseat is not using it correctly.

I really do hope this mother keeps her baby rearfacing but at the end of hte day all you can do is present parents with the facts it is up to them what they do about it.

ADS

mrswh

Even very well educated parents who would do anything for their kids just don't get it sometimes. :shrug-shoulders:

msg221

Why did she bother asking for advice if she was going to come up with every excuse to turn her baby anyway? I don't get people sometimes!

Kobain's Mommy

I have an Aussi friend that has a little guy a month younger than mine but heavier (mine is 21.8lbs. Anyways, she's all up in arms because she can't find any seats over there that she can RF her little guy past 12kgs. She said looking at us with US seats that our babies are safer than Aussi babies that are turned FF aroudn 6 months.

mumof2

yeah unfortunately over in aussie unless you import a carseat from overseas (which isn't legal to use but safety comes before some stupid law)you are basically forced to turn your baby FF at 12kgs.

AmieRubyJonah

My little man hit 12g at 12mths. He lost some weight with sickness an isnniw 11.8kg, but there was no way in hell i was turning him FF. In my mind I had no choice to import.

I would honestly like to see it stand up in court though. "here are the facts on FF vs RF, sorry for trying to keep my baby safer!"

Kobain's Mommy

yeah unfortunately over in aussie unless you import a carseat from overseas (which isn't legal to use but safety comes before some stupid law)you are basically forced to turn your baby FF at 12kgs.

She was thinking of importing but said something about her friend imported a Britax because she loved the cover. Her friend couldn't get the teether to work right so she used rope to tie the seat in. We both know a lady that is going to Aussie soon and offered to bring a Scenera to her. Do any Aussies know if that would fit in a car there RFing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC