Safeguard Go for a 3 Year Old

ctbcleveland

As the proud owner of a Maestro :( - I need to come up with a Plan B option for DS#1, until the recall kit comes (presuming I feel it is still safe enough to use).

The Maestro is used in MIL's car. She travels 4 miles with the children on backroads (roughly 45 mph) in the evenings picking them up from daycare approximately once a week.

Would you be comfortable using the Safeguard Go in the interim for a 3yr4mos year old child, roughly 35 lbs and about 38 inches tall? I really don't want to get another seat.

The vehicle has LATCH outboard with tether anchors. It is a 2004 Mercury Marquis, I think. Something like that.

ADS

HayleyCPST

I've never seen a safeguard go in real life, so I can't help you out with that part.
What about a nautilus or a prosport? Then you can use it in a car that doesn't have LATCH

ctbcleveland

The car has LATCH - which is important because the Go is easier to install with LATCH.

My concern isn't about the install, it is about the lack of shell around the child. See picture below:

http://cm.iparenting.com/fc/editor_files/images/1042/news/Safeguard_Go_Seat.jpg

I already own the Go - so it is basically "free" since I already paid for it. I'd rather not buy a new seat.

I just anticipated using it only on vacation for like a cruise when you are only in the car from the airport to the ship, or in a big city where you mostly walk.

HayleyCPST

Oh ok, I thought you were looking to buy a new seat. You didn't specify that you already had it. ;)

Since you have an extra seat, I don't see any problem using it! It does provide SIP.
Unfortunately, someone drove off with my LATCH manual last week so I can't look up if you can use LATCH in the center of that car. That would be ideal, center install with LATCH, if both Mercury and car seat allow.

For the time being, this is probably your best option since you already have it. The Maestro should be fixed in the next month or so, and then you can trade.

ctbcleveland

Thanks Gypsy! I might take you up on it.

I guess the good news is that MIL will be out of town next week, so she wasn't scheduled for any pick-ups anyway.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
No problem :) Just let me know... I need to make a trip to WF & TJ's anyways, and could do it around your lunch break, if it's easier for you.

crunchierthanthou

I'd be okay with it. Plus, the Marquis is huge. You can put him in the center and still have a child next to him, but even outboard with LATCH wouldn't be right up against the door.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm currently using a Go outboard for my 4 year old. Now, we're not in the car all THAT much, but when we are, I'm comfortable enough with it for right now. (It is what fits with the other seats we need in there right now-- the other seat that fits in that position for her, needs to be uninstalled for the frequnt-right-now times my mom takes the kids with us to my doctors' appointments, so my youngest can rear-face in it.)

aeormsby

Definitely (I didn't read through all the responses). We have a Go also and were using it as DD's seat in our truck (occasional use) for about 4-5 months until we got our Frontier. It was outboard there too, and she was 38-40 months old. If it was going to be used for long drives and the child would be potentially sleeping I might want something else, my biggest problem is that it's so upright if the vehicle seats are upright.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC