Question about DOM - good deal or no?

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Albee Baby has a SafeSeat1 (Meteor) for $94.99. So far this is the cheapest I have seen anywhere. However, the DOM is September 2006 so I am wondering if this is really a good deal, or if I would be better off waiting a month or so until DD actually outgrows her SnugRide by height and risk paying $30 -$50 more for one with a more recent DOM?

Thanks in advance:)

ADS

oxeye

The safeseat1 is still an infant seat isn't it? I worry less about a recent DOM with an infant seat because they use them for such a limited time anyway. Unless you're planning on having a bunch of kids to pass the seat down to a a big age difference (4+ years) I don't think you really need to worry about it.

It's not like a convertible were you will likely use it until it expires so those 6 months are helpful. Unless of course you really do think you will get the full 6 years of use of it .... just depends on your situation, but I don't think it would matter for most people.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
We are planning to have 1 or 2 more children and hoping to space them 2 years apart with the last one being born in 2010. So I guess I would like to get as much use out of it as possible. So it wouldn't expire until September 2012, so my thought is that it will be just fine, and I won't have to buy another infant seat.

I've already tried putting her in a convertible, but she seemed to actually prefer her infant seat. She always put up a fight when I would try to strap her in the convertible, but I never have any problems with getting her in the infant seat. Plus it's hard carrying her around town when I have my 3 year old and my sister's 2 year old in tow. If she falls asleep in her convertible, she wakes up when I get her out. But in her infant seat she just snoozes away. And if she's anything like my son she won't be down to one nap a day until close to 18 months. So I just thought it would be more convenient (for me) to keep her in the infant seat as long as possible. And since she's about to grow out of it, I either need to get her a SafeSeat or just bite the bullet and move her to a convertible.

Splash

Buy it. If you have to buy a new seat for the hypothetical third child, then you have to buy a new seat. You'll probably want to, anyway. I have a SS1 in my shed that I loved with my son, and might use it for the next kid... but, maybe not. If there is something better on the market, I'll use that. I can't see myself getting six years out of any car seat, to be honest. I'll give the thing away before then and upgrade to a newer model.
Besides, in a brick and mortar store, you're not likely to find a seat newer than a few months old, anyway. This is only seven months, about a tenth of the seat's "life" with a quarter of the price knocked off.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Buy it. If you have to buy a new seat for the hypothetical third child, then you have to buy a new seat. You'll probably want to, anyway. I have a SS1 in my shed that I loved with my son, and might use it for the next kid... but, maybe not. If there is something better on the market, I'll use that. I can't see myself getting six years out of any car seat, to be honest. I'll give the thing away before then and upgrade to a newer model.
Besides, in a brick and mortar store, you're not likely to find a seat newer than a few months old, anyway. This is only seven months, about a tenth of the seat's "life" with a quarter of the price knocked off.

Thanks, very good points. I will buy it :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC