Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPS Technician

CANADIAN CARSEATS ONLY - Next seat for a tall 5 y/o?

My friend will soon be looking for a seat for her tall/long torsoed DD. I'm looking for recommendations for her.

Stats:
    5 y/o in November
    17.5" torso
    40 lbs

She currently rides in a FF RNXT in her Mom's Toyota Yaris (2006?). A Frontier XT is not in the budget.

Her 9 m/o is RF in a RN65 in the centre position. As long as he is RF, he must remain in the centre for the comfort of the tall driver and passenger. She plans to ERF. 3 across is a must with another passenger in back.

So I guess a narrow booster that fits a tall but slim child would be best. She will remain in the XT until she outgrows it by height.

TIA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: CANADIAN CARSEATS ONLY - Next seat for a tall 5 y/o?

I'd try a Parkway.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

4. Thank You from:

CPS Technician

That's a good one. I'll have her look into it. I worry that she will simply go the backless route as she's "tired of buying more car seats." She's concerned her DD will outgrow the highbacks too soon to bother and that a low back is just as safe. I have a feeling her jaw will hit the floor at the price of the PW.

So tell me (or link me), what does a HBB provide that a LBB does not?

Head and neck protection, proper shoulder belt placement, support for sleeping, less room for wiggling around. Backless boosters are for the 8+ crowd, IMO. The Parkway adjusts quite tall. I wouldn't be concerned about a 5 year old outgrowing it anytime soon. And she's got younger models, right? Sounds like a good investment. She could always do a Turbo if she'd prefer. They are usually a good fit for skinny kids. Won't last as long in highback mode, though.
    Amy~ Canadian tech instructor (CRST-I), Mama to Peter (4.20.08), riding in a Diono Monterey and a Clek Ozzi; Jasper (4.25.11), riding in a Britax Frontier CT and a Graco Nautilus; and Ruby, riding in a Clek Foonf; wife to my CRST hubby, Chris

CPS Technician

Awesome! Thanks again. I'm pretty sure I can talk her into a $60 HBB that will later convert into a LBB. I figure I have about another 6 months left to wear her down and talk her into the seat

Do you happen to know how high each of those two adjust?