Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Evenflo Maestro Recall - EVENFLO ( 10C005000 )

I spoke with a rep at Evenflo. Since we all know customer service folks don't always have complete information, please take it for it what it is worth.

In the spring, design changes were made to the Maestro. The company has decided to test the seat up to 65 lbs and so there is different plastic molding used to accomodate the higher weight. My understanding is that if you compare a new seat to an old one, you will see three-four different "ribbings" in the plastic molding near the point of failure on the old seat.

The newer models will also include the metal reinforcement plate (that is being used for the recall) actually screwed on to the seat, so there are two differences between a pre-recall seat and new seat.

I was told that Evenflo was able to replicate the C-R failure in one of their own tests.

She had no precise visibility on the timing of the increased weight limit. The product has been in testing since the spring but she expected the recall to delay the launch of the higher weight limit seat.

My recall kit shipped on Saturday and I requested it on Friday.

While having a recalled product sucks, their ability to manage the recall in terms of having a site that is still working, phones that are being answered, and handy videos to show how to complete the repair is refreshing.

I've been subject to 5 product recalls this year - and Evenflo has handled it FAR better than Abbott (Similac) and LaJobi (Graco Cribs).
    Last edited by ctbcleveland; 10-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    Chardon, Ohio - One Heartbeat - 2/27/12

2. Thank You from:

3. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Anyone have luck exchanging/returning the seat? My MIL is calling Sears right now to inquire. She just bought the seat over the summer for my DD to use in her car, and it's impacted by the recall. I don't feel too comfy cozy about this "fix" either, would just prefer to return the seat.

And, wth does Evenflo expect people to do who don't have a backup seat? Run out and buy a backup? That's stupid and doesn't make sense. They should allow for the issuance of credits/returns/exchanges in these cases. If I am forced to buy a backup seat than I am just going to use the backup seat going forward. Why would I buy a backup seat to use temporarily until I can install this "fix"? Stupid.
    Jessica(DD1 6/8/07.DD2 12/27/10)

Quote Originally Posted by tinytoy View Post
    Anyone have luck exchanging/returning the seat? My MIL is calling Sears right now to inquire. She just bought the seat over the summer for my DD to use in her car, and it's impacted by the recall. I don't feel too comfy cozy about this "fix" either, would just prefer to return the seat.

And, wth does Evenflo expect people to do who don't have a backup seat? Run out and buy a backup? That's stupid and doesn't make sense. They should allow for the issuance of credits/returns/exchanges in these cases. If I am forced to buy a backup seat than I am just going to use the backup seat going forward. Why would I buy a backup seat to use temporarily until I can install this "fix"? Stupid.
    Note that the crib manufacturers didn't tell you what to do if you didn't have a backup sleeping arrangement either. That is pretty much par for the course.

It is between you and Sears if they will take the seat back.

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    It is between you and Sears if they will take the seat back.
    Right, which is why she's called (and is waiting for a call back.) I am just curious if anyone else has had luck, which is why I asked. I thought that was pretty clear in my post.
    Jessica(DD1 6/8/07.DD2 12/27/10)

I called them and they seemed not to care that I had no back up for mine, not at all told to try to borrow one from a neighbor or someone, um no! Not if I do not know the history on it, they also insisted on stopping use immediately.
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

FYI - the Maestro recall blog is now updated with a couple of pics comparing the structural differences between the 2 Maestro models that I had access to today - DOM 4/08/10 (recalled) and DOM 6/21/10.

http://carseatblog.com/7777/evenflo-...-need-to-know/

9. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member KaysKidz's Avatar

I ordered 2 repair kids today. Hopefully will have them in a few days.
    Kay... Former CPST, Working Mom to SIX!
    27, 26, 20, 9, 9 and 7!
    'Grammy' to Sophia, Kyra,...and Elijah James

First kits went out Monday I was told by the rep I talked to. And with me living only one state I got two of my three yesterday. They did send them out to all registered owners automatically
    10.5yr old Topside Booster, 9yr old Topside, 6yr old Topside, 4yr old RXT RF, 2yr old RXT RF

Combi Coccorro waiting

Got mine today. It's interesting to say the least.....Nothing like stepping on and pushing on your child restraint to shove a chunk of metal in a small place

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

still waiting to see if I get the last one, I got two but still to receive the third

Combi Coccorro waiting

CPS Fanatic

I got mine today. It shipped Monday, so it just took a while to get here because Evenflo is on the other side of the country. Super easy to install (took about a minute!). And after watching the CR video and seeing how the metal piece fits on the seat, I totally see how it solves the problem. So I feel fine with my seat now, phew!
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Anybody on the west coast get theirs yet? I requested mine the day the announcement went out and we still don't have it.

I finally got all 3 of mine. Confused because I called day 1 - they said i had registered 2, not the third. So I registered it. i assumed I would get 2 kits followed by 1 since they said they were already starting to ship the registered seats. Nope - I got 1 kit 2 days after I called, th other 2 kits about 4 days later.
    I understand how the repair works and feel mostly ok with it ... but uncomfortable with the fact that they waited 6 months to tell people there was a problem - even it it was voluntary. I assume they waited until they had a way to fix it, and I understand there were no real life reports of failure .... but what if there had been and they had neglected to tell people they knew there was a problem. They should have notified people rght away.
    Also- i called the NHTSA today and asked if they tested the seat after the "fix". The girl didn't seem like she really wanted to talk to me or cared--- so not 100%sure she gave accurate info .. but she said that NHTSA did not test the seats w/ the fix. I asked if they tested before the seat came on the market -- she said they all are tested before going to market. .... that makes no sense to me. why wouldn't they test the fix on a recalled seat to make sure it passes specs? (yes, I realize they didn't catch the problem to begin with, but that's a different story).

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by julia94115 View Post
    Anybody on the west coast get theirs yet? I requested mine the day the announcement went out and we still don't have it.
    I'm on the outskirts of the eastside of Seattle. Requested mine on the 15th (friday), it was mailed on the 18th (monday), and it got here today. So if you requested right away you'll probably get it tomorrow or monday.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Senior Community Member KaysKidz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
    So I feel fine with my seat now, phew!
    Me too! Ours came last night and both seats are now 'fixed'. I actually LIKE the fix, better then plastic!
    Kay... Former CPST, Working Mom to SIX!
    27, 26, 20, 9, 9 and 7!
    'Grammy' to Sophia, Kyra,...and Elijah James

S has been riding it for two days and I feel fine about it now. I was leary at first but I've been thinking about it and have come to the conclusion that I'm comfortable with the fix.

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

I had found that in the testing done that evenflo only saw the flaw when they were testing for the higher 65lb weight limit they are hoping to achieve on it, so in theory I am fine with it, since mine is only rated 50lbs. I doubt they will make it retroactive when they come out with the new ones, so I have not worries, even if they did I would not use it past 50lbs knowing that it failed at the higher weight limits. So basically I trust the fix for the 50lbs limit, so no issues here.

Combi Coccorro waiting

Quote Originally Posted by pj2rc View Post
    Also- i called the NHTSA today and asked if they tested the seat after the "fix". The girl didn't seem like she really wanted to talk to me or cared--- so not 100%sure she gave accurate info .. but she said that NHTSA did not test the seats w/ the fix. I asked if they tested before the seat came on the market -- she said they all are tested before going to market. .... that makes no sense to me. why wouldn't they test the fix on a recalled seat to make sure it passes specs? (yes, I realize they didn't catch the problem to begin with, but that's a different story).
    The bolded part is not true. Part of how the NHTSA testing works is that they literally go to a store and buy a seat off the shelf. The manufacturers don't know which seat might be tested, so the tests are representative. If they tested seats before they went to market, the manufacturer would have an opportunity to pick which exact seat gets tested, and therefore they might do a little extra quality control or something.

Quote Originally Posted by swtgi1982 View Post
    I had found that in the testing done that evenflo only saw the flaw when they were testing for the higher 65lb weight limit they are hoping to achieve on it, so in theory I am fine with it, since mine is only rated 50lbs. I doubt they will make it retroactive when they come out with the new ones, so I have not worries, even if they did I would not use it past 50lbs knowing that it failed at the higher weight limits. So basically I trust the fix for the 50lbs limit, so no issues here.
    According to the CR video linked earlier in the thread, the failure was found when testing with the 3yo, 33 pound dummy.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels View Post
    According to the CR video linked earlier in the thread, the failure was found when testing with the 3yo, 33 pound dummy.
    OK I missed that but Evenflo's statement said they seen it in higher weight limit testing. I must have missed that sorry.

Combi Coccorro waiting

I got 2 recall sets and only need one. Any CPST here need the extra for their giveaway stock?

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!